PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Tailboards To Look Out For

StrangleMeRandy
21-Apr-2023, 05:57
I've had my B&J for just shy of a year and I'm already itching for something a little better. Mine is a bit bedraggled - everything is wobbly, movements are too loose or too tight, there are a couple random screws sticking out, still takes great photos of course. I could buy a nicer one - I saw a better kit than mine for sale recently - but I'm curious about what other good tailboards are out there.

This is hypothetical for the moment, as I have a few things higher up on my shopping list. As such, price is irrelevant, it doesn't matter that I'm not in a position to drop four grand on a camera. If I had to list out a few requirements, they'd be as follows:

It's gotta be 5x7
It's gotta be a tailboard
Strongly prefer field cameras (I do like the fields)
Gotta take standard 5x7 holders
My lenses range from 115 to 250mm, bellows accordingly
My B&J was modified to take 110mm Toyo Field boards, which are a bit dinky. Larger boards would be a plus
Good range of movements, including rear tilt, but I'm not too fussy
Center detents for movements would be absolutely delightful

If you're gonna suggest I try a format other than 5x7, you'd better say 7x17 ;)

Jim Jones
21-Apr-2023, 07:57
My most frequently used LF camera over several decades was a B&J 5x7 tailboard, often with a 4x5 back. Although B&J and Graflex press cameras were more compact and a Graphic View monorail was more elegant, the 5x7 tailboard was good enough and often better for whatever task was at hand. It wasn't quite as solid as the Graphic View, especially with an extension bed attached, but analyzing that problem leads to ways of correcting it.

Dugan
21-Apr-2023, 10:38
Ansco made a 5x7 tailboard camera, similar to the B&J.
Both Ansco and B&J 5x7's have a native 5.25" square lensboard.
B&J 5x7 Rembrandt portrait cameras have a 6" square lensboard, but no front movements.
Older "antique" cameras like Senecas, Rochester, and Eastmans are usually pretty loosey-goosey, fragile, and front-rail-drop, with smaller lensboards.
Maybe Richard Ritter can help you.

Tin Can
21-Apr-2023, 10:54
I have all 3 sizes of B&J Rembrandt

All made right after WW11 as a good sturdy Portrait camera

All mount Packard standard with flash sync

I prefer the 5x7 as it and 4X5 have a metal GG holder, which does not wear out and is ventilated

It can mount many heavy lenses easily

Last time I wrote about them, the price went up

I try to seldom sell

Good Luck

MIke Sherck
21-Apr-2023, 15:43
My first LF camera was a 5x7 Ansco. I made contact prints in the tiny little upstairs bathroom. I have now used a B&J for ten years or so and... the Ansco was a much better camera. I swear at my B&J and it swears back at me, so I guess I have to keep it. I doubt I could in good conscience get rid of a camera with a potty mouth.

StrangleMeRandy
24-Apr-2023, 07:36
The Ansco looks nice! It appears reasonably priced, too. Mr. Ritter's work is quite nice too, it's his 7x17 I've been eyeing, so a matching 5x7 would make for a nice bit of kit.

...I swear at my B&J and it swears back at me, so I guess I have to keep it. I doubt I could in good conscience get rid of a camera with a potty mouth.

I have enough inanimate objects swearing at me, I prefer to be on good terms with my gear :D

Vaughn
25-Apr-2023, 21:29
It may not qualify as a tailback since the front rail is the one that flips up. 5x7 Eastman Kodak View No.2 -- has been working very well for me.

warpath
4-May-2023, 12:48
I have both an agfa/ansco and b&j in 8x10. The agfa/ansco tailboard is prettier and more refined, at least the older brass hardware version (I have no experience with the later plastic knobs version). I like both though. I know a lot don't like the grey color of the b&j but I think it looks good. My favorite colors are red and grey so I might be a bit bias hah

Kevin Crisp
4-May-2023, 13:45
Agree the Ansco is a real step up from the B&J.

DMS206
4-May-2023, 14:58
A Kodak 33a is a tailboard camera you can regularly find, lightweight 5x7

mdarnton
5-May-2023, 06:05
I used to have a B&J and now have both a Korona and an Ansco. The Ansco is relatively heavier, but a really nice camera, and stays on a tripod at home or at my shop. It's my favorite for studio, etc. The Korona is the one that travels. It's lighter and has extremely long bellows with an additional track to fit on front. Mine has front movements, which is a little scarce. The Ansco will hold heavy things on front, like my 12" Verito and Packard shutter; the Korona won't. I made a deep sunken board for the Korona and it works well with my 108mm/6.8 Wollensak. If I remember right the Ansco has a round hole behind the board that prevents this type of board. On the B&J I had a similar deep board fitted with a 65mm Super Angulon which didn't fully cover but was pretty cool. I got rid of the B&J because it was like a battleship in construction but crude and stiff. I have my Korona set up as a reverse tailboard because it protects the shutter, but you can flip it all around and make it a tailboard if you want.

If I could only keep one it would be a hard choice between the Ansco and the Korona. An experiment I haven't yet tried is 75mm SA on the Korona. It's got a huge hole in the front that might work better for a deep board than the B&J did, but I think the collapsed camera is too thick.

Korona and 108mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/38793181450/in/dateposted-public/
Ansco and Verito: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/26206657261/in/dateposted-public/
B&J fitted with 65mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/13995403977/in/dateposted-public/
Shot with above combo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/13991411220/in/dateposted-public/
and: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/14174772411/in/dateposted-public/

5x7 rules!

Axelwik
5-May-2023, 20:07
Not a tailboard, but a new Intrepid is about the same price or better than a good vintage camera. I have a 5x7 and love it - also lightweight.