PDA

View Full Version : Ajax, as a hypo cleaner last wash??

joho
18-Apr-2023, 13:54
O.k. here is an old question, the Ajax window cleaner used as a Hypo cleaner in a last wash .
To be more specific after the developing of the film, in the wash process after a 20min wash in running water, the use of a window cleaner such as Ajax would any good??
That in spraying the film with Ajax then a quick last rinse in water, would this be a good way to rid the film of any Hypo...??
I have been using this some times, it works as drying helper.

faberryman
18-Apr-2023, 14:05
O.k. here is an old question, the Ajax window cleaner used as a Hypo cleaner in a last wash .
To be more specific after the developing of the film, in the wash process after a 20min wash in running water, the use of a window cleaner such as Ajax would any good??
That in spraying the film with Ajax then a quick last rinse in water, would this be a good way to rid the film of any Hypo...??
I have been using this some times, it works as drying helper.

What prompted you to do that? Have you been reading camera forums again?

joho
18-Apr-2023, 14:25
It is from an old habit to short-cut for Kodak HE-1 .
HE-1 Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia solution,

the Ajax is just off the self
I can not find Hydrogen Peroxide !!!??? or Ammonia 99% to make solutions!

but as Ajax what else is in it ?? as resedo on the film ??
that all !!

Michael R
18-Apr-2023, 14:40
At best it will do nothing but I would not want it on my film. According to the internet it contains a few cleaning/solvent compounds, surfactants and ethanol. While photographic wetting agents contain non-ionic surfactants, they are not all the same, and you don't know what kinds of other residue it might leave behind (fragrance additives etc.).

It is not a hypo clearing agent.

Use of a proper photographic wetting agent after washing is good practice. Get a bottle of Kodak Photo Flo or Ilford Ilfotol and it will last you a long time.

Michael R
18-Apr-2023, 14:42
Peroxide hypo eliminator (as opposed to hypo clearing agent) is not recommended and hasn't been for a long time. Hypo clearing agent good. Hypo eliminator bad.

Hypo clearing agent is easy to make. Roughly 20g anhydrous sodium sulfite in a liter of distilled water.

It is from an old habit to short-cut for Kodak HE-1 .
HE-1 Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia solution,

the Ajax is just off the self
I can not find Hydrogen Peroxide !!!??? or Ammonia 99% to make solutions!

but as Ajax what else is in it ?? as resedo on the film ??
that all !!

LabRat
18-Apr-2023, 15:34
HCA is not needed for film washing..
The film base does not absorb chems (like FB papers), so the wash is shorter than papers and washes out well...

Steve K

joho
18-Apr-2023, 15:36
Michael R , Thanks for the input.
Hypo clearing agent sounds better!

Rick A
18-Apr-2023, 15:41
To the OP -- NO, don't do it. Not only is it not needed, but it could possibly be destructive. While we're on the subject of substitutions, DO NOT USE DISH WASHING DETERGENT FOR SURFACTANT. That's an old wives tale from the 60's.

Michael R
18-Apr-2023, 15:43
Yes - I forgot to mention this part. Hypo clearing agent is most useful for shortening fiber-based print wash times. It doesn’t do much for film washing.

HCA is not needed for film washing..
The film base does not absorb chems (like FB papers), so the wash is shorter than papers and washes out well...

Steve K

faberryman
18-Apr-2023, 16:06
Yes - I forgot to mention this part. Hypo clearing agent is most useful for shortening fiber-based print wash times. It doesn’t do much for film washing.

I do not understand the fascination some people have with processing their film and prints with stuff you can buy in the grocery store. But I guess whatever floats your boat.

jnantz
19-Apr-2023, 04:31
If you want to use something that isn't store bought and made for photographic use, if you live near the ocean or a sea, wash your film and prints in sea water ( it was the inspiration for fixer remover to begin with ) and do a final wash with plain water.

Doremus Scudder
19-Apr-2023, 10:50
If you want to use something that isn't store bought and made for photographic use, if you live near the ocean or a sea, wash your film and prints in sea water ( it was the inspiration for fixer remover to begin with ) and do a final wash with plain water.

Inspiration, yes, but seawater doesn't work as well as HCA plus it can contain a lot of other things (especially near the beach - the US Navy was processing film at sea in the open ocean in the 1940s. Things were a lot cleaner then). And, I can't imagine going to the beach and lugging up a bucket full of seawater to the darkroom every time I needed to wash film... My jars of sodium sulfite and bisulfite are handy and quick.

Best,

Doremus

joho
19-Apr-2023, 12:10

after reading all the answers here I will go to sodium sulfite and bisulfite. The sea is not that far from the darkroom but then again salt water still has to wash out [one step too much].

joho
19-Apr-2023, 12:12
Doremus, nice photos at your site !

joho

jnantz
19-Apr-2023, 12:16
after reading all the answers here I will go to sodium sulfite and bisulfite. The sea is not that far from the darkroom but then again salt water still has to wash out [one step too much].

don't forget you still have to wash out the sodium sulfite and bisulfite / fixer remover .
don't forget to have fun

ASA1000
20-Apr-2023, 11:29
I've been gone for almost 30 years and NOTHING has changed! ;-)

Doremus Scudder
21-Apr-2023, 10:09
Doremus, nice photos at your site !

joho

Thanks joho! It's nice when my images resonate with someone.

Doremus