PDA

View Full Version : Lensboards for Chamonix

jimi2
15-Apr-2023, 07:54
I’ve got a Chamonix 45f-1 on the way (thanks to everyone that helped in my search), so will just need a couple of lens boards for my Schneider Kreuznach super angulon 90 and Fujinon w 150 f/5.6. Anyone know what type of lensboards the Chamonix takes? The info on their website wasn’t clear to me.

Keith Pitman
15-Apr-2023, 09:14
Linhof Technika. Lots to be found on Ebay.

jimi2
15-Apr-2023, 10:11
Linhof Technika. Lots to be found on Ebay.

Thanks. One more dumb question - the super angulon is marked with Copal 0, but the Fuji 150 just says “Copal” with no number. Does this indicate a particular size or is there another way to tell?

Kiwi7475
15-Apr-2023, 10:40
Thanks. One more dumb question - the super angulon is marked with Copal 0, but the Fuji 150 just says “Copal” with no number. Does this indicate a particular size or is there another way to tell?

There are different versions but it should be a Copal 0 too. You can find this info and a lot more here:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

HughC
15-Apr-2023, 11:31
Would it have a centered or off center hole. Doe it make a difference in use.

Kiwi7475
15-Apr-2023, 12:48
Would it have a centered or off center hole. Doe it make a difference in use.

For Chamonix cameras, centered hole. In the zero vertical position the center of the hole aligns with the center of the rear standard. That’s not always true for other cameras and thus need the hole to be off center.

Alan Klein
15-Apr-2023, 13:35
I’ve got a Chamonix 45f-1 on the way (thanks to everyone that helped in my search), so will just need a couple of lens boards for my Schneider Kreuznach super angulon 90 and Fujinon w 150 f/5.6. Anyone know what type of lensboards the Chamonix takes? The info on their website wasn’t clear to me.

Chamonix makes lens boards. All my lenses have them.

Here's their comments from their site:

Continuing to design with the principles of light weight and simple function, Chamonix has developed a carbon fiber lens board, lined with black velvet on the inside in order to reduce reflection.

Currently we have Linhof type and Sinar type boards, but we can make any size lens board to suit your needs.
https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/accessories/lensboards

Alan Klein
15-Apr-2023, 13:36
Contact them to get the model your need. When I bought my, lens, I emailed them and asked which one is required.

Kiwi7475
15-Apr-2023, 16:07
My advice — this is not an area where you need to spend big bucks on carbon fiber boards. Luland on eBay sells aluminum CNC, high quality ones, both standard (copal 0,1,3,etc) and custom holes. These are all standard, proven items. Takes about 2 weeks to get to the US, usually less.

No affiliation.

Greg
16-Apr-2023, 05:31
this is not an area where you need to spend big bucks on carbon fiber boards.

Very true... When I had a 4x5 Chamonix, I had one OEM Chamonix lens board and several other Linhof style boards. The OEM Chamonix board was just superior to the others in my opinion - a very subjective statement. I opted to acquire several used OEM Chamonix boards back then for around $30.00 or so each. Present new price I see is $100.00, so acquiring used boards for $30.00 or so probably is not going to happen. Finding used ones for around $50.00 each I would think the present going rate? I would say every worth every bit seeking them out.

Alan Klein
16-Apr-2023, 07:36
Very true... When I had a 4x5 Chamonix, I had one OEM Chamonix lens board and several other Linhof style boards. The OEM Chamonix board was just superior to the others in my opinion - a very subjective statement. I opted to acquire several used OEM Chamonix boards back then for around $30.00 or so each. Present new price I see is $100.00, so acquiring used boards for $30.00 or so probably is not going to happen. Finding used ones for around $50.00 each I would think the present going rate? I would say every worth every bit seeking them out.

I only use Chamonix so haven't compared with others. Why do you say the Chamonix lens boards are superior?

Greg
16-Apr-2023, 11:18
I only use Chamonix so haven't compared with others. Why do you say the Chamonix lens boards are superior?

As I wrote: "just superior to the others in my opinion - a very subjective statement" They just did fit perfectly and I liked the black velvet on their back side. The lightness of the carbon fiber, when compared to metal boards, to me seemed more theoretical than a practical. Spending hundreds of dollars for a lens and skimping a wee bit on the lens board never made sense to me.

Alan Klein
17-Apr-2023, 05:26
As I wrote: "just superior to the others in my opinion - a very subjective statement" They just did fit perfectly and I liked the black velvet on their back side. The lightness of the carbon fiber, when compared to metal boards, to me seemed more theoretical than a practical. Spending hundreds of dollars for a lens and skimping a wee bit on the lens board never made sense to me.

We are in agreement then. One negative thing about new lens boards. I can't make excuses of light leaks when I screw up.

lassethomas
17-Apr-2023, 14:01
If you have access to a 3D printer you can print boards yourself.
Here is board #0 on the Thingiverse site.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1823890

They work rather well for but the heaviest lenses, no matter what people say.

Greg
17-Apr-2023, 16:10
If you have access to a 3D printer you can print boards yourself.

Beware of some of the 3D printed "Linhof" boards that are offered on eBay.... A friend bought three of them and they were terribly made. He told me that it was also a hassle to return them to get a refund.

jimi2
17-Apr-2023, 20:57
Beware of some of the 3D printed "Linhof" boards that are offered on eBay.... A friend bought three of them and they were terribly made. He told me that it was also a hassle to return them to get a refund.

Ack. Good to know. I purchased a 3d printed recessed board for my 90mm since I couldn’t find an appropriately sized one anywhere else. Maybe I should stick to a non recessed board until I can find a better one.