PDA

View Full Version : What 4x5 camera has the best built in rangefinder? I'm just curious.

Certain Exposures
11-Apr-2023, 16:35
I noticed that a few models have built-in rangefinders. For example, the Wista RF has a built-in top rangefinder:

https://youtu.be/Td9kjdjfn0I?t=60

The Kalart rangefinder that used to be part of my Graflex Crown Graphic was ok but not anything to write home about. Have you ever tried a built in rangefinder 4x5? What did you like and dislike?

rfesk
11-Apr-2023, 17:51
The biggest advantage of the Kalart rangefinder is that it can be adjusted by the owner to match the lens he owns..
Most likely the Linhof has the best rangefinder but the camera is heavy.

Certain Exposures
13-Apr-2023, 15:52
Thanks. Have you ever used a rangefinder style camera like the Linhof? How did you like it?

Tom Monego
13-Apr-2023, 16:13
I have a Linhof IV loned it to a friend and he lost a cam, bought me a used one, bit it is not as good. The Horseman 985 had a great cammed range finder, covered 3 lenses and you could set it for the lens you wanted, but not a 4x5. I use the Linhof as a view camera, I have only used the RF once or twice.

Kevin Crisp
13-Apr-2023, 16:22
I find a properly adjusted Kalart to be very accurate on my Crown Graphics. You have to follow the instructions exactly and go through the cycle of adjustments at least twice to get there.

ethics_gradient
14-Apr-2023, 03:44
I find a properly adjusted Kalart to be very accurate on my Crown Graphics. You have to follow the instructions exactly and go through the cycle of adjustments at least twice to get there.

Yeah, my Kalart could focus my Aero Ektar wide open at f/2.4 once I set it up. It's one of the first DIY camera things I did, not too hard with a tape measure and a bit of time. So as far as accuracy and flexibility, I'd say it's probably unmatched.

On the other hand, it's just for focusing, not composing (I remember it being kinda small and squinty, and a bit dim). So some people may not find it useful.