PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a shutter

Yourix
11-Apr-2023, 12:27
Hi everyone

I have in a drawer a G-claron 150mm that I would like to use but it is in a barrel mount and i'm looking for a shutter.
I had this lens almost for free and I don't want to spend much for it so I'm looking for an alternative to the common and expensive copal etc...

My first go was to try to find a polaroid mp4, CU5 or any Tominon lens in a #0 shutter but it proved difficult in my area.

So I tought there may be some old 6x9 folding camera with a suitable shutter. They can be found for cheap...
The Agfa RECORD for example come with a 105mm in a Synchro-Compur but I couldn't find wich size it is. If anybody has already done that I would be happy to get some advices.

Thank you

Tin Can
11-Apr-2023, 14:03
I use old still good Packard shutters

Still in production https://packardshutter.com/

https://richardman.photo/2020/05/guillotine-vs-packard-shutters/

Tom Monego
11-Apr-2023, 14:19
I was looking for a #1 shutter for a 240 G-Claron, I had several Prontor and Copal Press shutters for an MP3 purchase a while a go. I didn't like them, you either had to have 2 cable releases or set the shutter to T or B to focus. The shutters also had a lip on the diaphram so I couldn't tighten the rear element with out interfering with the diaphram. I ended up buying a 210 Sironar with severe lens separation in a #1 Copal, works well. All the MP3 shutters I have (6) are #1 Prontor or Copal, they had both Rodenstock and Tominon lenses.

Lachlan 717
11-Apr-2023, 17:16
Shutter is SO important if you’re shooting reduced-time (sub one second) exposures.

Why risk it?

If you shoot long exposures (1+ seconds), leave it in the barrel and Bowler Hat it. Otherwise, either buy a new-to-you 150mm or get a shutter.

The latter option will also raise the issue of aperture scales…

Yourix
13-Apr-2023, 13:47
Thanks for your advices

I don't need a new 150mm... I just happen to have one in a drawer so why not give it a try ?

There is plenty of very cheap folding 6x9 in reasonably good condition with 105mm f:4,5 lenses.
If I do my math correctly it means that fully open the iris size is 105/4,5 = 23,33mm

The max iris size on a #00 is 17,4mm and on a #0 it's 24mm so it's means those shutters are most probably size #0.
There is also some 105mm f:6.6 that are certainly on #00 ( 105/6,6 = 15,9)

Am I right ?

Of course I'll have to recalculate the aperture scale but that's a minor isue.

Lachlan 717
13-Apr-2023, 15:29
Iris size has nothing to do with shutter size.

And you’re trivialising the aperture scale if you think it’s a “minor isue (sic)”…

ridax
15-Apr-2023, 10:41
I've recently bought several Moskva-5 folders to replace all the Seiko shutters in my MF lenses with the Moment-24C ones. Those are exact copies of the original rim-set Compur but are synchro, and they are dirt cheap around my place. And those are normal #0 shutters. (The earlier Moment-1 had no synchronization and no self-timer, and the Moment-23C on the Moskva-4 was synchronized but did not have a self-timer either.)

The original #0 rim-set Compurs were of the normal modern #0 size when made for view cameras but had smaller diameter threads when made for those folders to fit into a tight folder inside space. Those are not interchangeable. (Sorry I am not sure about the later Compur-Rapid and Synchro-Compur shutters.)

The most inconvenient thing in all of them is that none of folder shutters have a preview button. And many of them, including the Moments, even lack the "T" setting.

ridax
17-Apr-2023, 05:11
Oh, and another point:-

A lot of MF folder shutters lack cable release sockets as the camera has its own shutter release system with the cable socket on the camera itself. On another camera, one has to fire the shutter pushing its release lever directly or take the troubles to make a DIY cable to lever attachment. The above mentioned Moments are just that but myself, I don't care because I need them for MF cameras that already have their own shutter release systems.

Yourix
20-Apr-2023, 11:00
Thank you for your feedback

I just received a nice Zeiss Ikon NETTAR 6x9 I bought for 15€. It has a 105mm anastigmat f:3,5 on a Compur-rapid B,T,1s-1/400. (with cable release socket)
I don't expect much from that glass but to do it justice I'll first shoot a roll with it, then I'll see if the G-claron can fit in the shutter. If not, this will still be a nice folding to carry around time by time...
The risk when you buy a camera for parts is alway to end with a camera in such a good shape that you don't want to take it appart anymore.