PDA

View Full Version : Anti-halation stripes from developing reel

retrofocus
10-Apr-2023, 10:09
Hi, I have developed 5x7 foma on Paterson tank with QL57 developing reel in Rodinal and fixed with Adofix. After processing I have noticed stipes of anti-halation dye on the back side of the film (non-emulsion side) where the reel's middle support has touched the negative. It seems difficult to wash away with water only - any idea what to try next? Or could a different combo of developer/fixer be better?

My previous experience is from 4x5 and SP-445 tank where I have never seen this kind of problem.

Cheers,
Vesa

Alan9940
10-Apr-2023, 10:34
A soaking in Hypo Clear should remove any last traces of anti-halation. Then, re-wash.

Doremus Scudder
10-Apr-2023, 12:08
If the contact happened during the whole processing, you may get undeveloped and unfixed areas as well. In any case, re-fix first, then soak and wash as usual and see if that helps.

Doremus

Vaughn
10-Apr-2023, 12:14
If Adofix has a hardener, try a fixer that does not. It solved what may be a similar problem for me.

retrofocus
10-Apr-2023, 12:19
The contact is only on the "anti-halation side". No contact on emulsion side. Would it still affect the development?

Rick A
10-Apr-2023, 18:21
The contact is only on the "anti-halation side". No contact on emulsion side. Would it still affect the development?

Quick answer is it doesn't affect development of the emulsion. Simply re fix in a tray and wash as normal. I used to develop LF film "taco style" and it always left a band mark on the AH coating, removing the band and fixing in a tray solved the problem.

retrofocus
9-Jun-2023, 07:52
Thanks for all the pieces of advice I received. Here is how I solved the issue: after fixing and first rinse with water I took some cotton wool dipped in fixer and wiped gently the stripes. Then continued with several rinses.

Br
Vesa

Jim Noel
10-Jun-2023, 08:49
Just scrub it with soap or detergent and water, then rinse well. We took care of hundreds of these cases at the college.