PDA

View Full Version : Here I am...

Hugo J. Zhang
4-May-2006, 11:00
entering a land of no return. Yes, I bought that 10x20 old banquet camera yesterday after a 48 hour futile battle against the temptation! Some friend had warned me that my first 12x20 negative would take my breath away and I solemnly vowed never to abandon my 8x10 Deardorff. To reinforce my determination, I sold my 30" Artar two months ago. Now my new dream is a two month trip to Tibet with this new found love.

Are we photographers promiscuous by nature, or am I a special case? I stopped using my 35mm Nikon after purchasing my Hasselbald which in turn had been neglected after my short love affair with a Arca-Swiss Discovery. She has been sitting in my closet since I returned from a pt/pd workshop with a 8x10. Is my beloved Deardorff facing the same miserable fate? Please, your ULF users out there, tell me I am still going to use my Deardorff! Looking at my other cameras, I don't have much faith in myself.

I have to admit that this LF photography is one of the few obsessions of my life. After reading in the news that some sports figures blowing away tens of million dollars in gambling. I don't feel bad about this obsession anymore. I am not looking for fame or fortune in photography. I think the best thing I have got from photography is I have learned to look at the world around me with new eyes: the slow changes of light, the patterns of the nature and the unique textures of differnt leaves. I am still learning and each new discovery gives me fresh joy.

Now the practical question from this board: What do I do now? I can't get film this size. I use Jobo for my 8x10 development. Is Jobo 2850 going to work for 10x20? One sheet a time, a great training for my patience. What else do I need to know? Oh, I have three lenses for it already: a 14" Trigor, and a 19" and a 24" Artar.

Thanks.

Donald Qualls
4-May-2006, 11:24
I stopped using my 35mm Nikon after purchasing my Hasselbald which in turn had been neglected after my short love affair with a Arca-Swiss Discovery. She has been sitting in my closet since I returned from a pt/pd workshop with a 8x10. Is my beloved Deardorff facing the same miserable fate?

It doesn't have to be this way. I regularly shoot every format I own, from 16 mm to 4x5. Even though I've just acquired a Speed Graphic and have been shooting mostly 4x5 recently in response, the Kiev 303 is always in my pocket when I'm out, and I often carry my Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera (6x9 on 120 folder). Other times, I'll take my Spotmatic or Signet 35 along, or one of my 9x12 cm plate cameras will be primary. Occasionally, I'll take only pinhole cameras from 35 mm through 4x5. It all depends on my mood, what I want from the negatives I expect to make, and the subject matter.

I will admit to a slight case of G.A.S. -- but with a Speed in hand and an Aletta monorail awaiting upgrades, I think I may have plateaued, for a time at least; 8x10 is a way off, budgetarily. And the Kiev 303 still calls me when I'm on the way out the door -- I can carry it places I'd never think of taking the Speed, and though the images don't compare, it'll still make a good 5x7 print if I focus and expose carefully and hold the camera steady... ;)

robert_4927
4-May-2006, 12:00
You have been sucked into the ULF Vortex for which there is no return. Welcome aboard. Soon to come are thoughts of " If I can't contact print it, why bother?" Have fun, you're gonna love it.

Hugo J. Zhang
4-May-2006, 12:08
Robert, The last time I used an enlarger was a few years ago. The very reason why strictly 8x10 and contact printling only. No enlarger and no scanner, for they are less "pure" and less "true".

John Kasaian
4-May-2006, 12:19
Hugo,

Keep the 'dorff.

I have both a 12x20 F&S and a v-8 'dorff. Unless you've got the strength of the HULK and the deep pockets of Don Trump, I think you'll find you 'little' camera will become your everyday mistress while your 'Big Mamma' camera will be your elegant companion at those 'joints' where the 'Lady' will feel more comfortable (fit in.)

Of course if you only shot 1 or 2 boxes of film a year and your 12x20 came with half a dozen holders, the 'dorff is excess baggage and I'll gladly take run 'interference' for you as a favor---you can throw in all those lenses that won't cover 12x20 (what a nuisance those are!)---I'll even pay the shipping (...of course an upstandin' gent like yerself would never sell yer poor ol' "mammy" up the river, would ya?)

As for lenses, does your 12x20 have the bellows for a 24" er? The 19" Artar 'may' cover 12x20 (or may not--you'll have to try it out. I think mine gets a bit mushy aaround edges, but ymmv. ) I don't know about the Trigor, but from what I heard from others it should cover well. Other excellent choices for 12x20 would be the 450mm f/9 Nikkor M and the amazing 19" Dagor.

robert_4927
4-May-2006, 12:23
Hugo, Let me know how your trigor covers. I have one that I use on my 8x20 with some movements. It is one amazing little lens.

Hugo J. Zhang
4-May-2006, 12:49
John, I will keep my dorff and its dozen of lenses for now as my "mistress". See, I am faithful in my owe way, all my cameras are still with me, even I don't use them any more. Use the biggest camera you can carry, didn't Adams say that? I will go back to my "little" cameras when I am old and grey with trembling knees. I have two holders coming with this 10x20. The bellow is 34" long, how nice! I have sent my Trigor out for the mounting job on a Copal 3 shutter and I can't wait to use it. Robert, I will let you know if it covers 10x20.