PDA

View Full Version : Dunkers Ve-Ja-De School Camera

Tracy Smithson
4-May-2006, 10:10
Can anyone tell me anything about the Dunkers Ve-Ja-De School Camera, it is a two lens system, one for focusing and one for imaging on roll film (about 70mm). I would appreciate any information about the date of this camera and or its history.

Mark Sampson
4-May-2006, 10:51
Never heard of that one. 25+ years back, when I did high school senior portraits for a large studio chain, we used Camerz 70mm cameras. There were SLRs and a twin-lens camera (which I used) that was like two small view camers side-by-side. I think they used 210mm lenses. The cameras ran on AC power and the 100' 70mm magazine back was motor-driven. The setup, on a Majestic tripod and dolly, probably weighed 45 pounds- which didn't keep us from schlepping those monsters all across the Northeast. Not to digress, but perhaps your camera was a competitior, or a predecessor, of those Camerz models.

Patrik Roseen
4-May-2006, 13:31
There was one on ebay recently...maybe that's why you ask. It looked like a very nice piece of artwork without any unnecessary bells & whistles. My guess would therefor be that it somehow has something to do with the Dunkers in Ohio...German Brethrens or something like that. The design is similar to what the Shakers would produce but it could be something totally different.
If it has to do with the Dunkers you could contact the person on this web-page:About the Dunkers (http://www.wvup.edu/Academics/humanities/Oldaker/about_the_dunkers.htm)

(This could be totally wrong though) Good Luck!

bmadore
13-May-2009, 19:41
I know it's been three years since this post, but I feel compelled to reply. I have the camera you are referring to. It is actually a 35mm format camera. It is a large box that takes an entire roll of unspooled 35mm film-- the kind you get in bulk to roll into individual cartridges. It looks somewhat like a motion picture camera, which is what I thought it might be when I bought it, but for the fact that it has not motor. There are two lenses. One is simply a view-finder with the hole for viewing in the back of the camera at the top with a lens in the front through which you view your subject. The other lens, the same type of lens you'd outfit on a large-format camera circa early 1900's (has the same mounting mechanics) is the one that projects the image directly onto the film inside the camera.

This particular camera was invented and made by Vincent J. Dunker who resided in Ste. Genevieve Missouri. The Ve-Ja-De (I was embarrassed to realize years after buying the camera) is simple a phonetic representation of the initials of his name (V-J-D). Vincent J. Dunker, I learned via a paragraph in a book about Ste. Genevieve's history, also invented a mobile photobooth which he rented out to county fairs. I have found no confirmation of this or any further details. I do know that he did not invent (or at least patent) the dip and dunk photobooth we all know and love. But he did patent (freepatentsonline.com source) a hand photo printer in 1928 that employs much the same technique as is used in a photobooth and perhaps this is what he used in his mobile booth for fairs.

I'm looking for further information about this camera, and its inventor, as well.

Barry Madore
Saint Paul, MN

Dale Kaupp
21-Mar-2011, 13:38
I've got one of these cameras and it is in great shape. Wondered what it is worth and the year it was made.
Thanks
Dale

RodgerCarter
25-Nov-2011, 07:49
Tracy, if you're still monitoring your messages would you please contact me at carterrodger@hotmail.com concerning the large foremat Dunker camera. Thanks.
Rodger Carter
DigiCamHistory.Com