PDA

View Full Version : trading beer and sandwhiches to build a darkroom

kreig
4-May-2006, 08:11
I have been out of LF photography for too many years, having lost access to a friends darkroom (He is 85 now). Looking at my LF cameras and feeling totally dejected and overwhelmed.

Needing some inspiration. How about everyone stopping by my house and help building a darkroom in 1 or 2 days? Free beer and Sandwhiches provided . . . . . . . . . . . . . :-)

Frank Petronio
4-May-2006, 08:16
Where are you? All you need are some sawhourses, a couple of buckets, and some black plastic. I can staple black Visqueen really fast but I drink a lot of beer...

David Luttmann
4-May-2006, 08:46
Anyone got one of those hats that hold beers cans? I work much quicker with both hands free!

Eric Biggerstaff
4-May-2006, 09:15
Let me see.........between framing, electrical, plumbing, hanging drywall, tape and mud, texture, cabinet install, flooring, finish carpentry, painting and HVAC...........I can drink........oh.........a couple of kegs.

By the way, imported or domestic?

Robert McClure
4-May-2006, 09:26
Kreig,

I am certainly fond of beer and sandwiches. Are you close to Grantville, Georgia? It's about an hour south of Atlanta. Ha, ha!

Tell us about your cameras, what kind of photography you did/want to do.

Best,

Joseph O'Neil
4-May-2006, 10:01
What kind of beer? If it's that watery American stuff forget it. You want quality work, you use *real* beer like the stuff we have up here in Canada.

For those of you overseas not understanding the fuss here, American beer is - well - imagine dilution B for HC-110 - the 1:31 ratio. American beer is very similar - take any real beer, and mix with water at a similar ratio, that's about it. If using Guiness, mix at least 1:100.........

:)

joe

Eric Biggerstaff
4-May-2006, 10:28
Joe,

Isn't Moleson now owned by my local brewing company - Coors? Oh Canada!

I have to agree with you however, if I am being put to work then I will need a beer with flavor! Several of our local Colorado brewers will do - Fat Tire, Flying Dog, Breckinridge Brewery - any beer with color and flavor!

If it says Budwiser or Coors, then, well, the sandwiches had better be REALLY good!

Graham Patterson
4-May-2006, 11:09
As an expatriate Englishman, I still work best on good cups of tea...and wouldn't fall asleep part way through!

Ron Marshall
4-May-2006, 12:43
Kreig, If you're near Chicago then count me in. But it must be Belgian beer!

Michael Graves
4-May-2006, 14:48
I can help if it's near Burlington, Vermont. But I'll need Goya Ginger Beer. Alcohol makes me sleepy. Make sure there's chips and dip, preferably server by a younger nice-looking blonde.

gfen
6-May-2006, 06:47
Looks like you'll get further having people over to setup your own microbrewery and just relegating yourself to contact prints from a bare bulb in the bathroom.. ;)

robc
6-May-2006, 10:51
I heard about that watery american beer. What you need is good old British Real Ale. Visit CAMRA (http://www.camra.org.uk/) to find out why your american beer is so gassy...

Of course there is a downside to a nice pint of British Real Ale. Because it is probably still fermenting when you drink it, you may notice a few side effects, not least the following morning.

However any beer festival in the UK is worth a visit just to discover the names the brewers are using to entice you to sample their tipple. "Dogs Bollocks", "Owd Rodger" and "Cripple Cock(cider)" just to mention some old favourites.

Most of these beers will put hair on your chest so don't let your wife near them...

Nicholas F. Jones
6-May-2006, 14:33
Here in Pittsburgh, many years ago, on a comparable occasion we served Iron City (the real stuff, before Lite had been thought of).

These days, for the faint of heart, Rolling Rock of mysterious "33" fame (out of Latrobe, Penna., est'd 1893); for regular beer drinkers, Yuengling lager (out of Pottsville, Penna., est'd 1829, America's oldest continuously functioning brewery I believe)--I'm drinking one now.

For a real special (and more ecumenical) occasion (like a show in my home gallery), I might get nostalgic and spring for a case of Anchor Steam (out of San Francicso, Calif., est'd 1896).