PDA

View Full Version : Removing aperture arm from Compur 3

Lachlan 717
31-Mar-2023, 03:49
Full disclosure: I’ve ever touched a Compur 3 shutter, let alone used one.

I’m looking at getting a 165mm SA and some come in the Copal-style Compur 3 shutter. These tend to have the riser that lets you see the aperture from behind.

I don’t have Altima facae issue with this; however, if I can remove it easily, I will.

Anyone know much about doing this?

Thanks.

AeroTechnika
31-Mar-2023, 05:23
It's a geared rack that mounts to the rear of the shutter with two screws. It's very easy to remove, and the regular aperture adjustment remains untouched.
It's really handy to have though, if you plan to use a view camera. It allows you to preset your taking aperture - pull it up to go full open for focusing, then push it down to your preset, and it acts as a "flag" so you're not constantly having to poke your head around to the front of the camera to see if you remembered to set the aperture.

domaz
31-Mar-2023, 08:13
I removed one before and it's only easy if you have the right tiny screw-drivers lying around. Don't force it if it seems like you are stripping the tiny screws. Although these are nice, they often get in the way and make the lens impossible to mount, depending on the camera design. Also I believe they require an even larger lensboard hole size when mounted than say a conventional Copal #3 would, which adds more complication...

Lachlan 717
31-Mar-2023, 11:49
Thanks!

Just what I wanted to read.

I like the idea of them for studio work; just not in the field.

AeroTechnika
31-Mar-2023, 16:06
Tiny screwdrivers?
If you work on much Linhof stuff these are BIG screws!! ;-)
You use the spare tire kit that came with your car to remove these!! ;-)