PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" Verito in a different shutter?

paulbarden
29-Mar-2023, 15:27
So, I'm considering acquiring an 11.5" Verito, but every one I have been offered is in a broken Studio shutter (surprise, surprise). So, does anyone know if this size of Verito can be mounted in a different shutter? I'd like to know before I buy. I ask, because I have a 9" Verito mounted in an Alphax shutter, which I'm pretty sure wasn't how it was originally sold.

Dugan
29-Mar-2023, 16:17
My understanding is that the 11.5" Verito was offered in Studio shutter or in an aperture barrel...
9" (later to become 8.75") Veritos were available in Betax #5 shutters, which have the same physical specifications as the Alphax #5...apparently yours was retrofitted to an Alphax #5.

Whir-Click
29-Mar-2023, 16:46
Here are the 11.5” Verito’s diaphragm openings at different apertures. 65.7mm is tough. A Compound #5 gets pretty close.

Regarding Studio shutters, with the significant caveat that no parts are missing or broken, an intact shutter can usually be made to work well again.

Mark Sawyer
29-Mar-2023, 21:09
Here are the 11.5” Verito’s diaphragm openings at different apertures. 65.7mm is tough. A Compound #5 gets pretty close.

Regarding Studio shutters, with the significant caveat that no parts are missing or broken, an intact shutter can usually be made to work well again.

The Verito's front element is a positive, so it would magnify the Compound's maximum aperture a bit, giving a "larger than actual size" aperture.

LabRat
29-Mar-2023, 21:36
The studio shutter/iris makes a flower shaped aperture, so it would be unclear where to measure the diameter... (The outer lobes, the inner, or an average between???) I use the 9" FL with Studio shutter a lot, but usually for 1 to several seconds exposure, so iris setting error would not be critical, and the exposures come out right... :)

Steve K

Tin Can
30-Mar-2023, 05:38
I am still working on 14" Verito

My plan is to leave the NG Studio Shutter as is, it still holds the thing together

Shoot wide open only, I got it from Mr Galli, very clean

Slide the back barrel into a wood lens board

and install a Packard inside the camera

paulbarden
30-Mar-2023, 06:04
I’m asking about all this because it’s my intent to use this for landscape work, and I’m going to need some short shutter speeds (for f6.0) to get precise enough exposures for negs appropriate for salted paper printing. I’m pretty certain 1/30th of a second isn’t going to cut it. I suppose I could add filters….

paulbarden
30-Mar-2023, 07:09

Thanks for that info, much appreciated.
In the case of the one I am looking at buying, I was told "the one blade broken off in the shutter is the one whose role is to close it down fully to make an exposure, but in its absence the iris still functions as an iris", so I'm not sure how this will perform. Does this mean it cannot be used with faster shutter speeds and closed down one stop at most? That's how I'd likely want to use it

Whir-Click
30-Mar-2023, 09:35
The Studio shutter has no timed speeds, it operates solely in Bulb mode. The speed will be however fast you can open and release the blades; probably around 1/5th of a second on a well-working Studio #3.

There are two sets of double blades for light tightness. It is possible to be missing one blade from one of these double sets and still function, but the shutter would have to be examined pretty closely to be certain.

Pete Roody
30-Mar-2023, 10:47
I use a Luc shutter front mounted to a 11.5" Verito. Don't remember the size but probably a S6 or S7. You get a 15th to a 25th speed by how hard you press the shutter release and anything slower than 1/4 sec using the bulb setting. Haven't been made for years but they are available on the 'bay.

paulbarden
30-Mar-2023, 13:19
I use a Luc shutter front mounted to a 11.5" Verito. Don't remember the size but probably a S6 or S7. You get a 15th to a 25th speed by how hard you press the shutter release and anything slower than 1/4 sec using the bulb setting. Haven't been made for years but they are available on the 'bay.

Thank you Pete, that might be a good option!