PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Nikkor 75mm SW f4.5 „S“ ?

Melissen-Ghost
28-Mar-2023, 06:46
Hello everybody,

Im new in the LF world and want to buy my first lens (to use with a 6x9 Horseman back) on a Chamonix 45 F2.

The Nikkor 75mm SW f4.5 is what I want to start with but I dont know if I need to watch out for any specific details or Versions of this lens.

I saw a Version on Ebay which had the letter „S“ in the auction title. Does the S stand for „shutter“? But if so, I guess all the other versions also have integrated shutters as well.

As far as I understand every LF lens mounted on a lens board has all functions you would need like a shutter cocking mechanism, aperture ring, shutter speeds, closing/opening mechanism and a thread mount for a cable release, right?

Thanks in advance. Oh, and about Image Circle and the need for bag bellows with a wide angle lens like the 75mm I already know.

Conrad . Marvin
28-Mar-2023, 08:09
I have owned one of these for more than a dozen years and have never been disappointed. That being said, I have put mine on a recessed board which makes things a bit tight for reaching the iris control but gave me enough space for the bellows draw.
The image circle is just shy of a 5x7 and I have used it without any movements on that format.
The “S” may be just a “SW” with the w left off. Make sure that the shutter is in complete working condition and you should be fine.

Oren Grad
28-Mar-2023, 08:14
The "S" is explained in this thread:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?31427-Nikkor-(S)-lenses

xkaes
28-Mar-2023, 11:25
That's a great lens -- with or without the "S" -- as mentioned. The main limitation would be the shortest bellows setting for the 45 F2. You may or may not need a recessed board -- to get it close enough to the film, or for more front-standard movement.

If you are looking for a 75mm ONLY for 6x9 there are several options that have smaller image circles -- but if you might use it on 4x5 as well, it's just the ticket.