PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Folmer & Schwing Camera Identification

WebbedPaws
22-Mar-2023, 08:19
Hi,

I’m very new to large format cameras and photography so forgive my lack of knowledge, but I’m glad to be part of this forum now and I hope to learn a lot!

I’ve recently been offered a few pieces of equipment that are otherwise unwanted and possibly to be disposed of, one of which is a large wooden double bellow camera which I believe to be incomplete.

If anyone recognizes what this camera might be and what’s missing from it I’d love to find out.

Dugan
22-Mar-2023, 08:55
Wow.
That's quite a piece of history.
It pre-dates Folmer & Schwing's absorption by Eastman Kodak.
It looks like it is just missing a lens, ground glass, and film holders..not sure about a focusing rail/bed.
It would be a crime to let that "be disposed of".
My first thought is to check with George Eastman House Museum.

Of course, to operate it properly, you'd need a greatcoat, vest, pocket watch, monocle, and a top hat or derby.

WebbedPaws
22-Mar-2023, 09:28
Thank you for the lead Dugan,

I’ve sent an email over to the George Eastman Museum, hopefully it’s something they’ll want to have for the museum camera collection.

I’ve found a focusing rail among the many odds and ends which appears to fit the assemblage well.

Hopefully this piece of history can be saved :)

Louis Pacilla
22-Mar-2023, 17:26
It looks like a enlarging/scientific camera and they came with & need rail sections like the other cameras of this type as well as a special stand as the had long rails. This one appears to be missing a few pieces to be usable but still great find and hope the missing parts around.