PDA

View Full Version : Stacking old Tiffen "series 6" drop-in filters

largeformatposer88
21-Mar-2023, 14:59
Hello all,

I have started using some Tiffen series 6 filters with my Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7, and I was wondering if there was a specific adapter to where I could "drop in" more than one. I am picturing the normal adapter but with more space before the retaining ring/lens shade, but this might not exist.

Thank you!

Dugan
21-Mar-2023, 15:05
If you could find a step-up ring from Series 6 -> a common size larger filter, you could stack the threaded filters.
I'd recommend checking with Tim at www.filterfind.net ,he's my go-to guy for filters and related accessories.

LabRat
21-Mar-2023, 15:43
Most all retaining rings (Tiffen) are also threaded on the front to hold another retaining ring, but maybe filter is too thick to screw down, but usually works...

Steve K

Doremus Scudder
22-Mar-2023, 10:13
A Series VI to 52mm adapter ring was my solution. Now I can stack filters easily, and not vignette. Stacking filters, however isn't the best idea. The only times I really stack filters is when I need a colored filter together with a polarizer or ND filter.

In your case, you'd need to invest in screw-in filters, if you don't already have them.

Best,

Doremus

BrianShaw
22-Mar-2023, 14:54
I use series adapters and series filters for several cameras, and have never seen an adapter that would allow stacking of filters. In looking at a lot of literature from those days, it doesn't seem like stacking of filters was a common practice.

largeformatposer88
22-Mar-2023, 17:08
A Series VI to 52mm adapter ring was my solution. Now I can stack filters easily, and not vignette. Stacking filters, however isn't the best idea. The only times I really stack filters is when I need a colored filter together with a polarizer or ND filter.

In your case, you'd need to invest in screw-in filters, if you don't already have them.

Best,

Doremus

Thank you!! And just like you mentioned, a Polarizer or ND & 85 combo is what I’m going for. I’ve got my eye on an 85N9 filter on eBay, but it’s a series 5.5 so JUST too small.