https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/benropolaris/benro-theta?ref=33dazv

I am not supporting this

But look at the $$$ so far

I only use levels in studio

and never ib field, as I THINK I can find my level better

nolindan
21-Mar-2023, 06:05
Good Gawd!

Updating P. T. Barnum for population growth the adage must now be: "There is a sucker born every 9 seconds." I think Kickstarter demonstrates this new statistic.

Michael R
21-Mar-2023, 06:17
As a company that has been around for 30 years, it is our hope that we can launch our new products (reduce our cost of capital) through a platform that allows us to better interact with (raise low/no cost funds from) our users.

ericantonio
21-Mar-2023, 11:14
i just tilt my head.

I saw this last week and I thought lordy, who would buy that?? I mean, the world is flat anyway, why use a level?

Tin Can
21-Mar-2023, 11:25
Obviously many, many want battery tripods

6 more days and usually a rush at EOT

xkaes
21-Mar-2023, 14:56
This is truly nuts. Even when the tripod isn't level -- and mine never is -- all you need to do is level the head with a visual bubble level (.99¢).

Andrew O'Neill
21-Mar-2023, 18:06
I want one that walks beside me...

xkaes
21-Mar-2023, 18:36
Now THAT I might pay for!!!

Tin Can
22-Mar-2023, 05:07
Invented long ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_(vehicle)

I want one that walks beside me...

xkaes
22-Mar-2023, 05:48
That won't work for me. In Colorado we have laws against littering.

MarkCros15sman
2-May-2023, 04:03
For me, the Benro Theta is a cool modular tripod with lots of great features. And it's worth the money. It's not a disposable tool. Buy it and enjoy it. All you have to do is use it with care.

Tin Can
2-May-2023, 04:42
I dislike anything that needs batteries

I need to buy another case of landfill

I do use DIGI

but my DR has none

Give us a complete review, including what happens when the batterers die

nolindan
2-May-2023, 06:58
... Benro Theta ... All you have to do is use it with care.

But we are talking tripods here. They don't get used with care - they get set up in the middle of rivers, on snow fields, in mud, set in the middle of the road and hit by a truck. They take tumbles down the side of a mountain. They get packed in luggage and 'inspected' and promptly dropped on concrete floors, head first.

I can't think of any photographic equipment that sees harder use.

And this thing is battery powered - hope it has a removable corrosion resistant battery box. It will see intermittent use, be put away with the batteries still in it and corrode in the cupboard for a season or a year.

xkaes
2-May-2023, 07:40
I dislike anything that needs batteries

Does that include your pacemaker? Just curious.

MarkCros15sman
3-May-2023, 02:16
But we are talking tripods here. They don't get used with care - they get set up in the middle of rivers, on snow fields, in mud, set in the middle of the road and hit by a truck. They take tumbles down the side of a mountain. They get packed in luggage and 'inspected' and promptly dropped on concrete floors, head first.

I can't think of any photographic equipment that sees harder use.

And this thing is battery powered - hope it has a removable corrosion resistant battery box. It will see intermittent use, be put away with the batteries still in it and corrode in the cupboard for a season or a year.

Maybe you're right. Everyone has different conditions for working with photographic equipment. But once upon a time, people used push-button mobile phones that could open beer and even crack a walnut (reliability). But now everyone has a smartphone in their pocket, which is scary to accidentally drop on the ground at least once (because it is very delicate and fragile), although reliable push-button phones are still sold in stores.

warpath
6-May-2023, 17:03
My iphone can open beer bottles :P