PDA

View Full Version : Horseman LS specifications

Tom Davis
1-May-2006, 12:00
Since it's hard to keep track of all the Horseman variations, could someone please tell me what differentiates the Horseman LS from the LE or more basically from the 450?

Also: Exactly what got dropped from the Horseman 450 to get the 450B version?

I appreciate the input.

Rob_6274
2-May-2006, 12:30
I believe the 450 series is the older generation. The more recent ones are (from basic to high end) LE, LS, LX and LX-C. You get yaw-free movement with LS and LX. With LX you can adjust the vertical position of the frame (both front and read in 4x5 and 5x7, only front in 8x10), so that you get variable tilt position. I like this feature a lot.

Ted Harris
2-May-2006, 13:19
Rob is correct that the older designation was 450 ... there were then further distinctions within the 450 series that were the proximte equal of today's LE/LS/LX (no LX-C). In the first few years after the naming was dchanged to the current designations there was also an LB but I don't remember what distinguished it from the LE. There are no substantial differences between the earlier 450 machines and the current ones and all parts, AFAIK, are interchangable. The LE is the basic monorail on a fixed rail. The other's add features along the way. The LS comes standard wtih 1) the expandable rail 2) base as well as axis tilt and 3) a depth of field knob). Again it is simple to change things around, I recently swapped my older 450 standards for newish LS standards to gain the base tilt.

Tom Davis
2-May-2006, 18:08
Thanks Rob and Ted, that's the exact information I need. Now I just need to decide if I want to either (a) add an LS to my HF or replace my HF with an FA. I realize, of course, that adding the LS would give me more flexibility than switching to the FA, but it's a question of whether I would actually use the LS as often as I would the FA. I really like my newly acquired HF, but I have to confess that having to switch the whole camera around for vertical shots is a little more annoying than I originally thought.

Again, thanks the input, it's exactly what I needed.