PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation for scanning

Ron Marshall
28-Apr-2006, 18:48
I am very happy with the scans from my Epson 4990 with b/w negs.

But now that I have begun to scan color neg and chromes I need more info. The scans I am getting are fairly good, but I think if I knew more about setting the many parameters in the Silverfast software I could do better.

I know the 4990 will not do as well with the higher Dmax of chromes, but I want to get the most out of it that I can.

What I am looking for are recomendations for books that deal mainly or only with scanning.

One I have seen mentioned a few times in the archives is Real World Scanning. I liked Real World Photoshop, if RWS is of the same caliber then that should be all I need.

Brian Ellis
28-Apr-2006, 19:17
"A Few Scanning Tips" by Wayne Fulton is a good book. www.scantips.com. Don't let the title fool you, it's more than just a few tips, it's a book about 150-200 pages long. I bought mine about five or six years ago so it's dated in terms of the equipment he talks about but the principles remain the same and he may have updated it since then anyhow. I too like the Real World series. I've never seen the scanning one but it might be better than Fulton's. Anyhow, you can go to his web site and see what you think.

Ted Harris
28-Apr-2006, 19:41
"Real World Scanning and Halftones" is the book we recommend most frequently to participants in our workshops.

David Karp
28-Apr-2006, 20:12
My buddy John, who is knowledgeable about these things, also recommends the Real World Scanning and Halftones book.

Phong
29-Apr-2006, 04:03
Real World Scanning and Halftones is the one book I would recommend among the several that I have consulted, although I do not find it as useful as the Real World Photoshop books. Perhaps this is partly because many scanning issues are specific to the software and hardware, not to mention specific films. Once you understand the basic technical issues with scanning, the best way by far to improve is to experiment with your specific scanning system, and then practice, practice, practice.

Michael Heald
29-Apr-2006, 04:56
Hello! I second Ted Harris's recommendation regarding "Real World Scanning and Halftones." I posed a similar question several months ago, and I've found the book to be very good. Best regards.

Mike

Hening Bettermann
30-Apr-2006, 16:47
I have absorbed the recommendations for books on scanning and Photoshop, and have just ordered Real World Scanning and Halftones, and Photoshop for Nature Photographers. The recommendations for Photoshop all seem to refer to the full version. Is there any "best" book for Elements (2.04)? Or for GIMP? www.gimp.org/ (http://www.gimp.org/)(Their web site lists a lot of books). The online help may be useful, but I need useful reading stuff for the time on the ferry Oslo-Germany...

Kind regards -

Helen Bach
30-Apr-2006, 17:39
There is a Sybex book "SilverFast: The Official Guide". I've only skimmed through it, and it seemed useful. There's a sample chapter on the SilverFast website.

http://www.silverfast.com/show/sf-official-guide/en.html

Best,
Helen

Bruce Barlow
1-May-2006, 06:06
Find a way to fit Ted Harris's and Michael Mutmansky's scanning workshop into your life and budget. Nothing like hands-on learning with expert instruction, and they give it. Aftertwards, you'll really know it.

Hening Bettermann
4-May-2006, 18:09
Thank you for your answers.

Helen, I have this book, and your post made me aware of, that Silverfast seems to work as a plug-in for Photoshop, so this book may be the answer.

Bruce, I live in Norway, and I'm not quite minded to travel to the US to participate in this workshop...Thanks anyway.

Ted Harris
5-May-2006, 07:09
Hening, I can't understand why you don't want to travel to the States just for a workshop <big smile>! We'd love to do one in Scandanavia though.

Giacomo GIRINO
5-May-2006, 07:57
Any information about "Ted Harris's and Michael Mutmansky's scanning workshop" available on the web?