PDA

View Full Version : Bellows replacement for Burke and James 8x10

Dave Ogle
25-Feb-2023, 11:54
any one out ever do bellows replacement on a B & J 8x10?
did a search and found a thread on Korona bellows replacement.
good info. Use Pliobond glue.
just looking for a few hints to get me going in right direction, like basic disassemble
Thanks, Dave

Dave Ogle
26-Feb-2023, 19:16
did a bunch of research over the weekend. bellows just glued. no frame to come out. I'll post results as they happen, just ordered a bellows. camera is in decent shape and is user friendly. Its a Chevy not a Cadillac. nothing fancy but will get the job done. Dave

Mark Sawyer
26-Feb-2023, 23:34
did a bunch of research over the weekend. bellows just glued. no frame to come out. I'll post results as they happen, just ordered a bellows. camera is in decent shape and is user friendly. Its a Chevy not a Cadillac. nothing fancy but will get the job done. Dave

B&J's were never Cadillacs, but like an old American pick-up, they always got the job done, with capabilities the luxury models couldn't match. Solid, simple, and with every movement available in excess. Use it well.

brianentz
27-Feb-2023, 01:14
I just finished that job on my 5 x 7 Burke and James view camera. The bellows is attached to the rear and front standards with nothing but glue. I used a glue dissolver to help soften it up. On the front standard there was a sort of thin rigid frame that I preserved and used again. The pliobond worked well - allowing for adjustments. The pliobond is applied to both surfaces and let it dry to tacky before putting in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinografx
2-Mar-2023, 16:56
Where are you getting your bellows from? I have a B&J that may need some in the near future…

Dave Ogle
2-Mar-2023, 18:25
bellows coming from China. Ebay. ecbuyonline is the guys screen name. bellows and other large format stuff too

Whir-Click
2-Mar-2023, 18:51
I recently had Custom Bellows in the UK replace my 8x10 Rembrandt bellows. Excellent work; cost was 190 GBP and turnaround time was less than two weeks.

Jim Noel
3-Mar-2023, 10:39
I recently had Custom Bellows in the UK replace my 8x10 Rembrandt bellows. Excellent work; cost was 190 GBP and turnaround time was less than two weeks.

I have had several bellows made by Custom bellows over the years. Very quick, reliable service with excellent material and craftsmanship.