PDA

View Full Version : Credibility of Retailer (Tokyo's Map Camera)

Jaroslaw
28-Apr-2006, 01:37
Dear All,

Has anyone of you dealt with Map Camera in Tokyo (http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mapcamera/)?

They seem to be the only retailer that has a new Toyo 5x7 monorail in stock. I'm inclined to buy it as a complement to my Toyo 4x5 field and would appreciate receiving some intelligence on the seller before embarking on such a substantial trans-Eurasian internet purchase.

Regards,

Jaroslaw

Gary Smith
28-Apr-2006, 03:34
Hi Jaroslaw,

I have bought numerous things from Map Camera over the last few years. They are a good outfit, nice people and a good selection. I have never had any problems with them, and they have always answered any warranty issues very pomptly.

The one problem is they are a little slow to answer emails in English, as there is only person in the store who speaks it well. So sometimes there is a delay in getting a reply back. I live in Japan, and speak the language so its not a problem for me.

If you need any information please let me know.

Gary

Oren Grad
28-Apr-2006, 08:20
The first question is whether they're willing to sell outside Japan at all. Very few Japanese camera retailers are - I can think of only one that I know for sure has ever done it, Lemon-sha in Ginza.

Tom Davis
28-Apr-2006, 14:22
I'm very interested in the answer to Oren's question about whether Map Camera will actually sell outside of Japan. I checked their website and they have the 65mm Horseman extension lensboard for my HF that I need for my just bought Fujinon 300C. I've been having a REAL hard time finding this board in the States. So: does anyone have experience ordering from Map Camera?

And then Oren: you mentioned Lemon-sha, do you have their web address?

thanks much

Hening Bettermann
28-Apr-2006, 14:33
ooops, Tom Davis has asked for the web address while I tried to. - Another option might be "proxy buing" through Philbert Ono photojpn.org/ (http://photojpn.org/). I have, however, no experience with him (yet) other that he has been too reclined to try to obtain information from makers that had no web site. Right now, I have asked him if he would buy a Jitto for me and am awaiting the reply.

Good light -

Oren Grad
28-Apr-2006, 15:12
Tom, I'm not sure I would chase Lemon-sha over this. My recollection of them is that other than Linhof, they didn't deal in LF - they were more of a European import candy shop - Leica, Hassy, Rollei, etc., - though they did carry some other stuff. I took a glance at their website a moment ago and it was entirely in Japanese, so that won't help you.

I would have suggested Philbert Ono's proxy buying service, but I've had an inquiry of my own outstanding with him for a while now and after a preliminary response he seems to have dropped the ball. It may be that he can't be bothered with anything other than the lowest-hanging fruit.

If you want to take a shot in the dark, perhaps just try contacting Map Camera directly. I'd try a fax, not an email. Make it very simple, very clear, and very legible. The fax for their film camera store, listed in their ad in the current Nippon Camera, is (0)3-3342-3350.

Another longshot might be Gin-ichi (www.ginichi.com). They serve as an import agent for some western brands, so they must have someone who can deal with international transactions on at least some level.

Good luck - it's amazing how difficult this particular problem remains in this day and age...

Jaroslaw
28-Apr-2006, 15:14
Thank you for the replies.

I did have an exchange of e-mails with one gentleman from Maps and he confirmed that they're OK with sending shipments abroad, at least to the two countries I considered (Poland and the US). I'm told that submitting an order by fax is the only way to do it if you don't speak Japanese.

By the way, I understand that while lenses and accessories are a different story, cameras imported into the US from Japan are free from customs duty and any state-imposed taxes. Is this correct?

All the best,

Jaroslaw

Oren Grad
28-Apr-2006, 15:18
I did have an exchange of e-mails with one gentleman from Maps and he confirmed that they're OK with sending shipments abroad, at least to the two countries I considered (Poland and the US).

Jaroslaw, that's great news. What was the email address from which you got a response, and were there specific instructions with respect to ordering procedures via fax?

If anyone here tries to place an order and succeeds, please do post a follow-up - if this really works it would be great.

Gary Smith
28-Apr-2006, 15:45
Hi,

I will also confirm though they are sometimes slow they will ship overseas. A friend of mine has bought from them numerous times and has stuff shipped to the US. Sorry I should have included this in my last post.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Oren Grad
28-Apr-2006, 15:47
Gary, it does indeed. Do you know anything more about their ordering procedures?

Gary Smith
28-Apr-2006, 16:05
They have an english homepage, but for some reason its not coming up this morning. The best way is probably to either send them an email or a FAX. I usually just visit thier store when I am in Tokyo, which is usually once a month or so. If you would like I can send them an email or call them today?

Gary

Tom Davis
28-Apr-2006, 17:06
Your willingness to call the store would be great, Gary! I just need to know the best way to place an order, it sounds like using a fax would be best unless you can find out about the web-address of their English webpage. And thanks again for any help you can offer here.

Oren: I completely agree with you about the ridiculousness of how difficult it is to get "into" a Japanese camera store over the net. But for that matter, you'd think that a small company like Horseman with distribution problems in the US would see the wisdom in promoting ease of access to their products over the web.

Oren Grad
28-Apr-2006, 17:27
Tom, there's a small link that says "ENGLISH" among the fine print near the top of the home page at www.mapcamera.com (http://www.mapcamera.com). The problem is that, at least at the moment, it just brings up more pages that are mostly Japanese...

Oops - scratch that. I just went over to check this again while I was writing this post, and now the link opens a new window with a welcome in English and a query form that you can fill out to request information. Looks like it's worth a try...

Hening Bettermann
28-Apr-2006, 18:16
But there is no e-mail address on the page that comes up from clicking the link on www.mapcamera.com (http://www.mapcamera.com). There is, however, an e-mail address on www.rakuten.co.jp/mapcamera/ (http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mapcamera/), namely rakuten-at-mapcamera.com. Shall we hope that the will answer mail to that address??

Hening Bettermann
28-Apr-2006, 18:21
Oh, sorry, I failed to scroll and did not see the query form!

Jaroslaw
29-Apr-2006, 08:34
The last piece of correspondence I received from Maps was from Koichiro Tajima (rakuten-182490-304995@m.mapcamera.com) of their International Division.

The correspondence began by my fumbling across the Japanese site blindfolded and eventually filling out something which I was praying was a query form (and praying I would receive a reply in English). Both prayers were answered rather quickly.

So far I've been receiving replies from Maps within 24 hours and now have all the details necessary to submit an order. Basically, you need to send a fax to +81-3-3342-3426 with your credit card and contact details, and then you will have a chance to confirm your order once they determine the shipping costs.

Could anyone please confirm if there are any hidden costs of importing a Japanese camera into the US? Does the Japanese seller need to provide any 'proof of country of origin' forms for one to be able to avoid paying duties or taxes in the US?

Regards,

Jaroslaw

Ralph Barker
29-Apr-2006, 12:17
This document might be of interest:

U.S. Customs: Internet Purchases (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/infrequent_importer_info/internet_purchases.xml).

The section entitled "Postal Service, Couriers and Freight" appears particularly relevant.

Hening Bettermann
29-Apr-2006, 14:24
The inquiry form on their web site did not work for me. I tried both Mac and Windows. After filling the form and clicking "next", a new window comes up, obviously intended to have me check what I entered, since the last line says "If the above contents are correct, please click a send button." But all the fields are empty. And clicking the "next" button has no effect at all.

So I sent POP mail to the 2 addresses mentioned in my post above, plus to Koichiro Tajima (rakuten-182490-304995-at-m.mapcamera.com).

That was using the "English" link on TOP of the page. Afterwards, I tried the "English" button at the BOTTOM of the page, and that worked! - I have sent them a mail making them aware of this.

Kind regards -

Tom Davis
30-Apr-2006, 07:31
Thank you very much, Hening, for discovering the English link at the bottom of their webpage. I had the same thing happen to me that happened to you using the English link at the top of the page. But the bottom one did work. So let's hope I now get a reply.

Have you gotten a reply by emailing Koichiro Tajima directly? If so, I may well try that next.

thanks again!

Hening Bettermann
30-Apr-2006, 16:11
--"Have you gotten a reply by emailing Koichiro Tajima directly? If so, I may well try that next"--

Well, not yet, but I just mailed friday or saturday, so I do not exspect an answer befor say tuesday.

Kind regards -

Gary Smith
30-Apr-2006, 16:12
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I stopped in Map Camera yesterday while I was in Tokyo and spoke to a couple of people.  They confirmed what other people on here said, basically you have to fax them you credit card information and the item that you want. After that they will give you a chance to confirm before it ships. They also said that when they are slow to respond, its because the guy who speaks English is not in the store at the time.

I will be heading back down there again during the next few days. If anybody wants to be ask them something more specific please let me know.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Hening Bettermann
30-Apr-2006, 18:02
Gary, that is a generous offer, and I hurry to mail you off-list. Thank you!

Tom Davis
1-May-2006, 07:39
It appears I'm always one step behind Hening, but I too very much appreciate your generosity, Gary, and I have emailed off list as well.

Tom