PDA

View Full Version : Adding Levels to a MT2000

Scott Rosenberg
27-Apr-2006, 19:38
good day, some months ago, i was out shooting and another photographer wandered up with a MT2000. he added a low profile, two-way bubble level to the top of the box. it was very nice, much like the ones canham uses on his wonderful wooden cameras.

anyone have any suggestions as to where such a level can be found?

scott

Scott Rosenberg
27-Apr-2006, 19:51
looks like i can just buy them from keith!

http://www.canhamcameras.com/accessoryf.html

Wilbur Wong
28-Apr-2006, 07:31
I added a generic version of the Linhof bubble level to my MT 2000 several years ago. The one I bought was from Calumet, however the base of it was a bit tight on the shoe base of the camera and I had to file the level a touch to get it to fit right. (Generic $16, Linhof $66)

I still leave this on my camera body to do initial set up. However one thing to note is that the bubble location is on the top of the box. Ultimately, I am more interested in the levelness of the film back.

At Per Volquartz's get together this January, one of the speakers, Jan Pietzrak mentioned his favorite level. It is a credit card sized level which you can just rest inside the ground glass frame to check side to side level. Hold up against the glass and you can check tilt. Simple, and this gets the film plane not the box level. (For non Technika users, the film plane has tilt and swing behind the box enclosure)

Jan recommended this source where I bought mine the next time I was at my computer.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=48816&cat=4,104,53217

Robin Coutts
28-Apr-2006, 15:30
I have used the block type to good effect, but the best spirit level I have used (and still do) is an old linhof two way one in a black plastic housing. I bought it on ebay. It has a very low profile, well made with an aluminium shoe. The reason I rate it is that the liquid in ther levels is quite viscous, so that the bubbles move smoothly and steadily, rather than ' dance about'. This makes for easier leveling.

Robin