PDA

View Full Version : 18x24cm 8x10" Aero-Technika... "Linhof Pyramid"

Embdude
21-Feb-2023, 22:47
Around 1966 Linhof made a few 18x24cm / 9x10" cameras on a special order basis.

This giant Aero-Technika camera was a rigid pyramid shape and was made up of parts from the Kardan camera line as well as parts that were unique to this camera.

Despite the fact that the Aero-Technika line of Linhof cameras did not have the articulating rear standard which every Technika field camera does they were given the Technika label for two reasons. 1, the Aero-Technika had evolved from a 5x7 field camera with a Slipstream Housing to protect it from the wind. 2, In the 1960's the Technika brand name was very popular and synonymous with extremely high quality, it was often more prominent in company advertising than the Linhof logo itself... even the Linhof factory had a TECHNIKA sign above the entrance...

The Linhof Camera Story mentioned the 18x24 Linhof Pyramid, provided a company photo and gave some technical details. I communicated with one of the books authors Barbara Wolff and she explained that they had no examples of the 18x24 at Linhof only the single photo and technical details that were included in the book.

235954 235955 235956

John Layton
22-Feb-2023, 04:04
Gee...those "double book form film holders with vacuum drawdown, run by (a) small battery powered suction pump" sure would be handy for those down-angled photos! Where can I get me one of those :confused:

Tin Can
22-Feb-2023, 05:53
Gee...those "double book form film holders with vacuum drawdown, run by (a) small battery powered suction pump" sure would be handy for those down-angled photos! Where can I get me one of those :confused:

I think many here could make them

I know I can

Andrew Merz
22-Feb-2023, 18:35
this is great, thanks for starting this thread. I recently acquired one of the 18x24 pyramids, and now I realize how much is missing! No viewfinder, no special backs, and two broken-off handles, which were mounted on the bracket used with Linhof technika right handed grips--I've sourced a couple and will hopefully be replacing them. The lens it came with, a 300 Xenar, seems to focussed at about 8 feet, so I'm guessing it's not original! That's pretty frustrating.

It is also wired for some kind of electronic shutter--you can see the trigger in the rear left-hand grip in the photo. The wire goes from that grip to a couple of contacts where the lens board, which must interface with the apparatus shown next to the lens in the picture . If anyone knows anything about that shutter system, which I assume is from elsewhere in the Aero lineup, I'd love to hear about it. Would be fun to resurrect that.

Andrew Merz
22-Feb-2023, 18:36
also I definitely need some of those Linhof Aero gloves

domaz
22-Feb-2023, 18:46
It is also wired for some kind of electronic shutter--you can see the trigger in the rear left-hand grip in the photo. The wire goes from that grip to a couple of contacts where the lens board, which must interface with the apparatus shown next to the lens in the picture . If anyone knows anything about that shutter system, which I assume is from elsewhere in the Aero lineup, I'd love to hear about it. Would be fun to resurrect that.

That shutter just looks like an Compur Electronic to me. It might well have a special electronic system to trigger it though.

Embdude
22-Feb-2023, 21:00
The shutter trigger looks to be an early version of the Linhof Magnetic Release system. The part in the grip in the photo of the pyramid looks nearly identical to early one linhof sold but the solenoid at the lens appears slightly different than the ones Linhof marketed later on other cameras. It could very well be that it was invented for this camera and developed as a product for the other cameras...

236022 236023

There is one for sale here:
http://www.glennview.com/vcam.htm

Embdude
22-Feb-2023, 21:18
the 300mm Xenar was sold as having 18x24 coverage so it may be original. The aerial cameras used infinity focus only so if yours is close focusing then it needs to be set back a bit. What kind of board is it on?

You can also check the serial number to see how close to the 1966 date it is...

Embdude
22-Feb-2023, 21:23
As far as the vacuum film holders, Linhof made them in 9x12/4x5 and 13x18/5x7 for sure and are in the kardan catalog. They may have been special made for this camera but it is likely Linhof was already making them as they are often used in astro photography and other space science cameras. Here is a image from a kardan catalog... I will digg a little more and see if I can find anything about the 18x24...

Ok did some digging...

Tin Can
23-Feb-2023, 06:20
Why were vacuum holders discontinued?

Did thick film work as well?

I have a few pressure plate 2X3 plate/film holders

Yes, most large copy cameras had vacuum for industrial use

Tin Can
23-Feb-2023, 06:39
I thought 5X5" glass plates were used with telescopes until recently

and those old astronomical plates are still very valuable for star study

https://www.bing.com/search?q=glass+plate+astronomy&qs=NW_QB&pq=glass+plate+astronom&sc=1-20&cvid=CA91E936C13F435DAD5BF6E966F77983&FORM=CHRDEF&sp=1

Vaidotas
23-Feb-2023, 09:43
I had a chance to see similar Linhof 13x18 camera with rectangular, not square cone for vertical orientation use only.
Can’t recall FL. 165 mm?
It was dedicated for architecture telemetric purposes. Photograps taken with that camera were in use on dedicated work place with light table and sophisticated mechanical devices, made by some Zeiss branch. That machinery allowed to make technical drawings from the data taken from photograph. Kind of analogue 3D scanner for huge objects.
It was proposed for local technical museum as gift, offer was rejected end everything went to scrap yard.
I wanted to buy that camera, my offer was unheard. End of story.

Embdude
24-Feb-2023, 14:11
A little more info on the Magnetic release...

Tin Can
24-Feb-2023, 14:32
I have seen one on eBay, years ago

Yes, many decide to trash gear rather than give it away

snobs

I had a chance to see similar Linhof 13x18 camera with rectangular, not square cone for vertical orientation use only.
Can’t recall FL. 165 mm?
It was dedicated for architecture telemetric purposes. Photograps taken with that camera were in use on dedicated work place with light table and sophisticated mechanical devices, made by some Zeiss branch. That machinery allowed to make technical drawings from the data taken from photograph. Kind of analogue 3D scanner for huge objects.
It was proposed for local technical museum as gift, offer was rejected end everything went to scrap yard.
I wanted to buy that camera, my offer was unheard. End of story.