PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45-F2: Ground Glass Brightness?

Wista45SP
21-Feb-2023, 09:13
I have a Chamonix 45-F2 and love it. However, I feel that the ground glass is not as bright as my previous camera, the Wista 45SP.

Is there an upgrade I can make to the ground glass/fresnel to have a brighter experience, other than a wider aperture lens?

Thanks.

Richard Wasserman
21-Feb-2023, 09:26
I use a Yanke fresnel/groundglass on my F2 that I bought on ebay and like it quite well. It's brighter than the stock screen and easy to focus

Wista45SP
22-Feb-2023, 06:20
I use a Yanke fresnel/groundglass on my F2 that I bought on ebay and like it quite well. It's brighter than the stock screen and easy to focus

Thanks for the tip. How much brighter would you say the new glass/fresnel is? If it’s a stop brighter, I think I’ll buy one too.

Also, was it easy to fit? Any focus issues?

Richard Wasserman
22-Feb-2023, 08:35
Thanks for the tip. How much brighter would you say the new glass/fresnel is? If it’s a stop brighter, I think I’ll buy one too.

Also, was it easy to fit? Any focus issues?

It was easy to install with no issues, but make sure you measure the old one so you order the right size. I installed it a while ago and didn't test the brightness, but as I remember the brightness probably did increase about a stop or so. The only other focus screen that I like better is a Maxwell, but it is much more expensive and I didn't want to pay that much. I've been happy with the Yanke. BTW, I use lenses from 110-300mm with it. I don't have experience with wider lenses, but would expect them to focus fine