PDA

View Full Version : ULF film holder protection

John Bowen
27-Apr-2006, 16:46
I am putting together a 7x17 outfit. What do you ULF film shooters use to carry/protect your ULF film holders?

John

Michael Kadillak
27-Apr-2006, 17:42
I use Strebor padded septums with velcro closure tabs but there are many readily available options for a waterproof "fabric" that can be combined with a thin padding that would work just fine. Look in the phone book for a trade or opportunity school in your area that may already have the heavy duty sewing machines and the skills to make the side stitches to put the protective sleeves together for you at very reasonable costs. You may have to search and pay for the materials which is no big deal. Welcome to ULF!

Cheers!

matthew blais
27-Apr-2006, 17:43
I don't use ULF, but Kevin Saitta on APUG has these to offer that are custom made. Not cheap, but ULF holders aren't either..
www.kjsphotography.com/products/product.php?id=22&PHPSESSID=e6c40677128c7c09b45ae19dddeb14f5 (http://www.kjsphotography.com/products/product.php?id=22&PHPSESSID=e6c40677128c7c09b45ae19dddeb14f5)

John Kasaian
27-Apr-2006, 19:07
I keep my 12x20s in cotton(muslin? percale?) dust proof pillowcase liners from Wa-Wa-Walmart inside the the box my 12x20 F&S came in

Jimmy Peguet
27-Apr-2006, 23:51
I carry three holders in a home-made cotton pouch like Gnass pouches, with an aluminium piece sewed inside to rigidify and a handle on the long side. Drawbacks, it's not padded (not really a problem) and not waterproof, more annoying in wet grass or on wet ground. I plan to buy a Saitta's bag for two holders one of these days, asking Kevin to add a handle on the long side.

Jimmy

Terence McDonagh
28-Apr-2006, 11:42
Regarding what Michael said, look for a local cobbler to sew the pads together. I've used them to repair packs, etc all the time. They have heavy sewing machines and the right kinds of thread/cable.

M. Legan
28-Apr-2006, 19:24
Try AWB Enterprises. Well made, good looking, but not cheap,....but then neither are the holders!

His web site www.filmholders.com

Diane Maher
29-Apr-2006, 06:46
I've been storing my 5x12 holders inside a laptop bag.

Oren Grad
29-Apr-2006, 09:55
Each of my outfits goes into a single case or pack that has a separate compartment where the holders go. For the formats larger than 5x7, there's room for either three or four holders, depending on the format. The holders are just stuffed into the space together - I don't use separate pouches for each.

Oren Grad
29-Apr-2006, 10:10
To be more specific, my main 7x17 outfit currently lives in an elongated Tenba air case that was intended for lighting. It's just the right size to hold camera, three holders, a BTZS hood, and up to a few lenses, how many depending on whether I'm using big modern plasmats or smaller process lenses.

Ole Tjugen
29-Apr-2006, 14:35
I have to admit I usually carry my 24x30cm (about 9.5x12") plate holders in a plastic bag from the local supermarket. Same with my one single 30x40cm (12x16") holder...

To me, it's just a matter of transportation. The cameras are heavy and cumbersome enough to keep me close to the car.

Ryan McIntosh
13-May-2006, 08:35
I highly suggest getting in contact with Kevin Saitta with Saitta Bags and he custom makes film bags to fit your needs. He can make the perfect 7x17 holder bag to hold how every many holder you wish.

I use his bags for my 8x10 and 11x14, along with his lens bags and darkcloths. All are VERY high quality and well made. When your paying over 300 bucks for a holder, and you have a few of them...paying 100 bucks for a well made bag is worth it!

http://www.kjsphotography.com/products/product.php?id=22&PHPSESSID=e6c40677128c7c09b45ae19dddeb14f5

Ryan McIntosh

Michael Graves
13-May-2006, 09:23
I don't use anything bigger than my Toyo 810M, but I have discovered that Eddie Bauer had a sport bag that was the perfect dimensions to hold 6 film holders loosely and 7 if I want to cram them in. There are two side pockets that are the perfect dimensions for the 6" lensboards for the Toyo, even wrapped in the lenswraps I use. A front pouch holds six filters and a zip pocket on the lid has room for synch cords and cable releases. I love the thing. It cost me forty five bucks at Target.

One other thing that I found was that by storing the film holders in 3M antistatic ziplock bags, my dust problems have diminished greatly. I got those on Ebay, but I'm sure if you wanted some, they'd be pretty easy to find online.

John Powers
16-May-2006, 17:54
One other thing that I found was that by storing the film holders in 3M antistatic ziplock bags, my dust problems have diminished greatly. I got those on Ebay, but I'm sure if you wanted some, they'd be pretty easy to find online.

I had been putting two 8x10 holders in a large zip lock, then 8 or 10 in a light weight LL Bean backpack. For long trips I carry a second batch in a cheap bag from Wal-Mart. One day in the darkroom loading film holders I got the idea of substituting the black plastic bags that hold print paper for the zip locks. Now I have dust protection and a light seal.

My 7x17 arrives tomorrow with three film holders. I plan to use the black plastic wrap from 16x20 print paper. My wife has volunteered to sew a new film holder bag for them based on a used one that will be coming with the holders.

John Powers