PDA

View Full Version : Putting shutter blades back

Joakim Ahnfelt
27-Apr-2006, 15:30
Hi
Just in theory of course. No one could possibly be this stupid.
If some one somehow managed to drop all the shutter blades out while dismanteling an old enlarger lens in order to replace the lens elements with some other ones. Just becuse the threads would fit and the new elements needed something to hold them together so this theoretical person could see if his new (old) Zeiss Tessar could be used for anything fun.
Would there be any humanly possible way of putting the shutter blades back again?
Just asking out of curiosity.

Michael Graves
27-Apr-2006, 15:32
I know your pain. I tried to disassemble an old shutter. Springs went everywhere. I used the lens to burn ants after that.

Patrik Roseen
27-Apr-2006, 16:19
Joakim, you talk about an enlarger lens and shutter blades. Do you really mean shutter blades or do you mean apartureblades...the apertureblades are usually easier to put back I assume since those that I have seen usually do not have any springs attached...but then again I'm not an expert.

GPS
27-Apr-2006, 17:00
I agree with you, nobody could be that stupid. But to answer the question, it is fully possible to put them back. For some just in theory, of course.

mark anderson
27-Apr-2006, 19:25
in theory it is fun to burn ants.

Melchi M. Michel
27-Apr-2006, 19:40
I have (accidentally) done this before to a symmar convertible and succeeded in replacing the blades. It's a pain but it is possible. To start, you'll probably have to lock the shutter open and replace the blades in consecutive clockwise (or was it counterclockwise?) order. My shutter was a compur #1 and I'm guessing yours is too, so you should be fine.

Joakim Ahnfelt
28-Apr-2006, 00:40
I was very tired last night. It's of course the aperture blades that has fallen out and nothing else. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
So does any body know any trick how to put them back again?

Patrik Roseen
28-Apr-2006, 00:51
You could try to post a question on the 'classic camera repair forum'.
classic camera repair forum (http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/)

It could be they have studied the theory of replacing aperture blades after finishing the 'The theory of human emotions burning ants using lenses nolonger attached to a working enlargement barrel"

GPS
28-Apr-2006, 02:03
clockwise or anti clockwise order - it's all the same. Just do it in one direction.

Terence McDonagh
28-Apr-2006, 06:16
I did the same thing a few weeks back (there's a thread on apug.org documenting my stupidity), and I spent a couple of frustrating hours getting nowhere. I put it aside, and had a few beers. It didn't get the blades back in, but I felt much better.

It's very easy until the last couple of leaves which have to go UNDER the first few without popping out the first few. I'm going to try it again and put a little tape across the pieces that go easily so that I don't lose there relative positions and then try to slide the last few under. A small pair of hook-nosed pliers (hooked perpendicular to the hinge) would be handy. Patience would be even better, but harder to find. It LOOKS so easy, but it's a PITA.

BrianShaw
28-Apr-2006, 09:14
As said above, it's possible (after all, they were put togther by humans the first time). It can be quite frustrating so make sure that you're emotionally ready before you start. Be gentle and if you start getting frustrated, take a break and come back to it later. I find it easiest to use a pair of bent tweezers to handle the leaves and lay the them out in the OPEN aperture position. Good luck!

Steve Hamley
28-Apr-2006, 13:16
Not only done by humans, but probably someone's grandmother who had no interest whatsoever in cameras and did it in 30 seconds.

Steve

Jim Rhoades
28-Apr-2006, 14:10
I'm just keeping track of all your names for future e-bay buying. Glass clean, no oil on blades. Shutter sounds good, no way to test.

Donald Qualls
28-Apr-2006, 14:35
I've reassembled the actual shutter blades in a #0 Prontor-Press shutter (six blades, five positions, had to figure out which one was the overlap blade), and also reassembled the 10-blade diaphragm in a much newer #1 Prontor-Press. Neither was difficult, merely requiring precision, patience, and a basic understanding of how the shutter/aperture mechanism works. I don't even own a decent set of tweezers; I used (freshly washed) fingers and small-nose pliers, plus a tiny screwdriver for pushing the blades around to get them lined up just so.

I didn't put either one together in 30 seconds, but I probably could if I'd done a thousand of them... ;)

Joakim Ahnfelt
30-Apr-2006, 01:52
”Not only done by humans, but probably someone's grandmother who had no interest whatsoever in cameras and did it in 30 seconds.
Steve"

Everyone with a grandmother in the lens industry, please raise a hand and mail me her adress.

Carol Flutot
30-Apr-2006, 08:57
Ok, It wasn't my Grandmother but my Father and I also have re-assemble many an aperture, at my camera shop. Contact me if you would like my help Joakim.

Joakim Ahnfelt
30-Apr-2006, 12:46
Success!
All twelve of the little ba%€&/#&#s are back in place. thanks for all the advice.

Patrik Roseen
30-Apr-2006, 14:31
Great news Joakim,

Please describe the procedure you used and if there was any particular technique you used or anything you learned. In theory this could happen to anyone of us ;-)

Joakim Ahnfelt
2-May-2006, 03:46
After deciding witch way to put the blades (slightly different ends) I put them in one by one in fully open position. I slided the next one in under the overlap with a little help from a couple of tooth picks since my tiny tool seems to be magnetic. Actually it was quite easy. I was a little surprised myself. I think the trick was the fully open position. My first tries where done thinking there must be some sort of super intelligent way/pattern to put them. There wasn't of course.