PDA

View Full Version : Will I regret not taking my view camera to Big Bend NP?

Ben Calwell
10-Feb-2023, 07:19
We’re flying to Texas in April to see Big Bend National Park. Conflicted over whether to take my Wista kit with me. It fits in a Lowepro backpack quite nicely, but my Benro tripod is too big to pack, so that means yet another B&H purchase of a smaller travel tripod, probably one with a ball head (which I’m not used to using with large format). Also, I’m not keen on passing through TSA with loaded film holders (TXP) subject to newer more powerful X-rays. I guess I could ship my film to my destination and then ship it back home at end of trip. OR, I could simply take my lightweight Fuji digital kit, which, truth be told, takes excellent photos. Im in my 70s, so my back might vote for the Fuji kit, especially in Texas heat at Big Bend. Another thing: if the park is crowded, do I want to set up my large format show with tourists having to step around me as I labor under the dark cloth, listening to comments such as “Mommy, what’s that man doing?

BrianShaw
10-Feb-2023, 07:30
Go with your gut… it knows your back better than we do.

xkaes
10-Feb-2023, 07:32
BB in April is very nice, and BB is very big so it's easy to avoid crowds -- just avoid all the places where the guide books tell you to go, because Spring is BB's busiest season.

I have no idea about your Benro tripod, but a Wista does not need a behemoth. My Gitzo Reporter is more than adequate & straps to the outside of my backpack.

Alan Klein
10-Feb-2023, 09:39
We’re flying to Texas in April to see Big Bend National Park. Conflicted over whether to take my Wista kit with me. It fits in a Lowepro backpack quite nicely, but my Benro tripod is too big to pack, so that means yet another B&H purchase of a smaller travel tripod, probably one with a ball head (which I’m not used to using with large format). Also, I’m not keen on passing through TSA with loaded film holders (TXP) subject to newer more powerful X-rays. I guess I could ship my film to my destination and then ship it back home at end of trip. OR, I could simply take my lightweight Fuji digital kit, which, truth be told, takes excellent photos. Im in my 70s, so my back might vote for the Fuji kit, especially in Texas heat at Big Bend. Another thing: if the park is crowded, do I want to set up my large format show with tourists having to step around me as I labor under the dark cloth, listening to comments such as “Mommy, what’s that man doing?

Ben, I'm 78 so I commiserate. I stopped taking my medium format film stuff with me years ago. Last trip with it was to Yosemite. Now I take a little Sony digital RX100iv pocketable and my back, wallet, and wife thank me. A lot less stress too. I went on a Southwest road trip a couple of years ago with it and it took great shots and video. Also went to Red Rock Canyon in Las Vegas with it. Good luck on whatever you decide and don't get too close to the edge.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157694819890421
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157717671668191

ericantonio
10-Feb-2023, 10:42

Ben, I recently went back home to Crooklyn in December and was in same predicament. I was thinking of shipping my 8x10 film, or going to B&H and buying and shipping it back to CA. Then pack all my crap in a Pelican case and haul that to the airport. Then I don't have a tripod that is light enough to carry to airport, so that would need to be checked in. I really wanted to bring it though and take photos of the parents.

I did a road trip 2 years ago up the CA coast and met a guy shooting with a 4x5 and we chatted for a bit, showed him my 8x10 KMV. And yes, everyone at all the local tourist views want to talk to you while you are precariously dangling off the side of a cliff trying to get a shot with 20MPH winds.

I think it really depends on how much you want to put up with it. In the end, I only brought my Hassy to NYC, which was great. And airports hand check my film. In NYC, they wiped my film with something guessing they check to see if it has explosives residue on it or something. It was interesting.

tomwilliams
10-Feb-2023, 11:26
Ben, I would certainly regret leaving my LF gear behind. It sounds like a hassle for you to fly with it though. On the guaranteed plus side, Big Bend is magnificent.

My last trip to BBNP was in mid-April 2 years ago - I had my Wista 45SP with me, but used it only toward the end of the week that I spent there, on my way out of the park. The Wista plus lenses, film holders, tripod etc - too much for an old bugger on long or steep trails. For most hikes I was happy that I had my Nikon D750 or F3, and for some hikes - long or steep - it was a 35mm-size camera, or nothing.

I used my car as a mobile base - it's easy enough to pull over at a nifty spot, and hike out as far as is tolerable with the heavier LF gear. No trail required. There are countless opportunities for brilliant random walks, plus a few relatively flat, established trails, away from the Chisos.

Late in the high season (like April), the cooler hikes at altitude are more crowded. The Chisos Basin trails (generally, the steepest in the park) are the most heavily used. Plenty of room elsewhere to avoid people. I will say though that Texans on vacation at BB have been universally friendly to me, and not obnoxious.

Heads up: April can be quite hot (and windy).

Good Luck!

Tin Can
10-Feb-2023, 14:13
This is why it is nice to have light gear too!

Serge S
10-Feb-2023, 16:42
Ben,

On my last trip this January, I was debating the same thing as you.
I did not bring my LF camera. I got frostbite a few years ago, and it was really cold.
My hands blister now when exposed to cold. I ended up bringing my medium format & got some very nice images - so I can't complain.
But I regret I did not have my LF, as I saw a few situations where I would have preferred using it.
It was too cold & windy, ultimately I think I made a wise choice for my circumstance.
Yours situation is different & you have to way the pros & cons:)
Have a good trip!

Mark Sampson
10-Feb-2023, 17:41
For probably fifteen years now, when flying with LF gear, I have shipped loaded filmholders to my destination via FedEx. I haven't had to do that often, but it relieves anxiety about TSA screening. And it makes the traveling weight lighter. Whether it's worth the cost is up to you, of course.
I've also traveled with a tripod by using one of my tripod cases/bags to carry clothing/boots, etc., as a second suitcase. Again this is liable to mean more expense (no thanks to you, airline industry) but again, you get to decide.

bmikiten
10-Feb-2023, 20:00
I'm in Texas. Take the camera. Go to Alpine, Marfa and Ft. Davis. You'll find gems everywhere.

Tin Can
11-Feb-2023, 06:08
I was a winter Texan

I miss those

Times

I often drove or rode the expanse

Texarkana to El Paso

Take it!

Ben Calwell
11-Feb-2023, 10:56
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Now I’m actually thinking of taking both the Wista and my Fuji digital. Since I’m shipping loaded film holders, there’s room in the pack for the Fuji. I can choose between the two cameras. If I’m hot and tired, the Fuji. Fresh as a daisy, the Wista. This will give me an excuse to buy a small “travel tripod” to use for both cameras.

Tin Can
11-Feb-2023, 11:52
Good plan!

Drew Wiley
11-Feb-2023, 12:55
Lighten you load with a better tripod minus a ball head. I have no problem fitting an entire 4X5 system into a regulation airline carry-on, film holders, tripod and all, including a few books to read in flight and a raincoat and jacket as well. But it's my little Ebony 4X5 folder, and not my Sinar Norma. But that folder system is no heavier than a MF SLR kit, less wt than even many DLSR rigs I see people lugging around equipped with huge zoom teles, since view camera lenses themselves are generally far lighter. Or compromise, and take roll film backs instead of full-sized holder with your view camera.

I don't know why people use ball heads for anything view-camera related. There's a reason I call em bobble heads.

Eric Woodbury
11-Feb-2023, 13:33
You can make a great photograph with any camera. Personally, I find two camera types distracting.

EjW

Tin Can
11-Feb-2023, 14:21
Newer cell phones make very good images

My SE2 is always in my shirt pocket

LabRat
11-Feb-2023, 19:26
Take the camera you are most comfortable shooting in any conditions... If it is too windy, shooting from a car window, handheld etc, you will bring back more images with that camera...

My travel LF rule is if spending just a passing through afternoon or a day or two, that camera will have few chances to shoot, so a more portable camera that is almost ready to shoot will get used much more...

Now, if you just shoot one format/camera, you then make allowances for it...

Steve K

Willie
12-Feb-2023, 06:16
Newer cell phones make very good images

My SE2 is always in my shirt pocket

https://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops/item/the-magic-of-the-iphone-camera/

Noted LF photographer Tillman Crane is doing a whole workshop on the I-Phone cameras. He has even made digital negatives and hand coated Pt/Pd prints from them.

Take a View Camera. You will kick yourself later for leaving it home.

John Layton
12-Feb-2023, 09:45
Ben, there's not much I could add to the above suggestions...but I had to laugh at your comment about your "under the dark cloth activities" being misinterpreted. In my case, it was a scorching day in Chaco Canyon many years ago...with me sitting on the ground in the shady lee of a large rock, with my changing bag on my lap as I was actively loading holders - when I was happened upon by an elderly gentleman accompanied by a young girl (likely his granddaughter)...who was quick to ask "what's that man doing?" To which the old gent replied..."lets just move along dear!"

Serge S
12-Feb-2023, 10:30
Ben, there's not much I could add to the above suggestions...but I had to laugh at your comment about your "under the dark cloth activities" being misinterpreted. In my case, it was a scorching day in Chaco Canyon many years ago...with me sitting on the ground in the shady lee of a large rock, with my changing bag on my lap as I was actively loading holders - when I was happened upon by an elderly gentleman accompanied by a young girl (likely his granddaughter)...who was quick to ask "what's that man doing?" To which the old gent replied..."lets just move along dear!"

That sounds awkward:)
And now so funny!

brian mcweeney
12-Feb-2023, 11:22
Re: Will I regret not taking my view camera to Big Bend NP?

Do you plan on making many more trips to Big Bend in the future? This might weigh into your decision ...:cool:

Bernice Loui
12-Feb-2023, 13:27
Toto_?_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

Bernice

Another thing: if the park is crowded, do I want to set up my large format show with tourists having to step around me as I labor under the dark cloth, listening to comments such as “Mommy, what’s that man doing?

Drew Wiley
12-Feb-2023, 15:07
With luck and planning, you'll be out range of cell phone coverage. One more reason to leave those damn obnoxious devices home. A vacation should leave political pollsters, internet scammers, sports scores, stock market bobble-heading, and crank calls behind. A phone might or might not be useful if your car breaks down on a lonely road. That's the kind of scenario B horror movies are made of: gigantic tarantulas crawling out of the hills and eating both you and your car. And at the last minute you take and transmit a cell phone shot of its fangs opening wide; but nobody will believe it anyway, because every smartphone-camera these days has a "giant-tarantula-in-the-scene" app.

Tin Can
12-Feb-2023, 15:20
The cell phone camera will work, but I bet phone service won't

I await your prints as I never got there

Cell phones don't work many places where I live

The old Cable TV still has a lousy expensive monopoly

I refuse

Alan Klein
13-Feb-2023, 07:26
With luck and planning, you'll be out range of cell phone coverage. One more reason to leave those damn obnoxious devices home. A vacation should leave political pollsters, internet scammers, sports scores, stock market bobble-heading, and crank calls behind. A phone might or might not be useful if your car breaks down on a lonely road. That's the kind of scenario B horror movies are made of: gigantic tarantulas crawling out of the hills and eating both you and your car. And at the last minute you take and transmit a cell phone shot of its fangs opening wide; but nobody will believe it anyway, because every smartphone-camera these days has a "giant-tarantula-in-the-scene" app.
Whenever I'm going to be in an area with there's no cell Towers, I download the Google Maps right into my phone ay home so they're available offline. You can't get traffic reports, but the navigation system will work and you can actually see where you are. That's also handy if you're trying to figure out how to get out of a remote area although you really should have real maps and a real GPS for that kind of situation.

Michael Wellman
13-Feb-2023, 09:43
I live in Texas and I've been going there for almost 30 years now. I've been making it there 2-3X year for the last four years. I love this place despite the fact that it takes about 8 hours to get there. Here are a few suggestions I have that hope you find useful.

Big Bend is an ideal LF photographer's park. It's a beautiful park where you have everything from mountains to desert to rivers with great panoramic views. It's also one of the largest NP we have and you can spend a lot of time traveling from one area to the next. There are three main areas of the park, Boquellas Vista, Chiso Basin, and Castolon. They are 45-60 mins from each other. There are some great places to photograph in between these areas not to mention a lot of good hikes. Not sure how many days you will be there but I would recommend staying in one area for the day. The only place you will find cell reception is near one of the three ranger stations (Boquellas Vista, Panther Junction, and Castolon). If you have a high clearance vehicle and/or 4 wheel drive you can get on the back roads where there are some great photo opportunities. The night skies are gorgeous and you can see so many stars and the constellations.

Should you bring yours? You have to decide based on the logistics of not only getting it all there and back but the ease of shooting. This time of year strong winds (20mph and higher) are not uncommon. I was there last week. The first two days we had calm winds but cloudless skies. The last day beautiful clouds with strong winds. I took 4 images with my 14x17 waiting for the lull but none of those turned out due to camera vibrations from the wind. I had to try and get something. I would recommend a digital camera. This will allow you to go to more places and not be constrained by the logistics of getting camera/gear there and back as well as taking the images. It would horrible to have nothing but windy days while you were there unable to shoot with your LF. If you like the place enough then next time you come back you know where to go and what to bring. If you have any other questions about Big Bend let me know.

Sal Santamaura
13-Feb-2023, 10:00
With luck and planning, you'll be out range of cell phone coverage. One more reason to leave those damn obnoxious devices home. A vacation should leave political pollsters, internet scammers, sports scores, stock market bobble-heading, and crank calls behind. A phone might or might not be useful if your car breaks down on a lonely road...

While I have similar feelings about cell phones (won't regularly carry one myself, but there's a prepaid version in my car's center console, kept turned hard off, for emergencies only), a bit of misinformation needs to be corrected. If one possesses an iPhone 14, its "Emergency SOS" capability via satellites means that "breaking down on a lonely road" will never be "out of range."

Drew Wiley
13-Feb-2023, 10:03
GPS Navigation systems are infamous for getting people into serious trouble on remote roads in the West. I don't personally consider the rogue Republic of Texas part of the "West", but it's big enough to no doubt have analogous road issues off the beaten track. And due to all the huge storm activity in recent years, road conditions might well have changed. When in doubt, always check locally before heading down some lonely route. And for National Parks, check their website for current access and road conditions. Obviously carry a lot of extra water and supplies. And often dirt roads which look relatively tame the first couple of hundred yards can turn gnarly quickly, requiring high-clearance 4WD.

This fall I'll accompany a fellow even older than me into a back country area beyond cell phone access. His wife told him to either buy a satellite phone or don't go. So he bought one. The problem with less expensive satellite emergency beacons is that in some parts or the country, there might not be any response capability to them, while in others, these devices are so popular, and so many people "cry wolf" due to mere trail inconveniences, that response teams often get overwhelmed. If in doubt about risks in Park jurisdictions per se, inquire at the NP office first. For BLM or Forest Service lands, inquire at their offices, either in person or by phone in advance if possible.

And in recent years, due to our huge fires and weather emergencies, there was a backlog of over 500 emergency all at the same time, with ordinary rescue helicopters unable to even fly safely, jamming the whole system (military choppers and combat pilots were brought in, but risked their own lives to do so, and it took up to a week to reach everyone stranded). So one really needs to be somewhat self-sufficient too, on any trip.

I can't imagine going someplace like Big Bend without serious film camera gear, especially LF. But due to inevitable dust conditions, wrap things especially well in plastic bags etc. What is you end goal for all that effort? - serious darkroom printing, or just adding a few more to the millions of web digi images?

Ben Calwell
13-Feb-2023, 10:14
I live in Texas and I've been going there for almost 30 years now. I've been making it there 2-3X year for the last four years. I love this place despite the fact that it takes about 8 hours to get there. Here are a few suggestions I have that hope you find useful.

Big Bend is an ideal LF photographer's park. It's a beautiful park where you have everything from mountains to desert to rivers with great panoramic views. It's also one of the largest NP we have and you can spend a lot of time traveling from one area to the next. There are three main areas of the park, Boquellas Vista, Chiso Basin, and Castolon. They are 45-60 mins from each other. There are some great places to photograph in between these areas not to mention a lot of good hikes. Not sure how many days you will be there but I would recommend staying in one area for the day. The only place you will find cell reception is near one of the three ranger stations (Boquellas Vista, Panther Junction, and Castolon). If you have a high clearance vehicle and/or 4 wheel drive you can get on the back roads where there are some great photo opportunities. The night skies are gorgeous and you can see so many stars and the constellations.

Should you bring yours? You have to decide based on the logistics of not only getting it all there and back but the ease of shooting. This time of year strong winds (20mph and higher) are not uncommon. I was there last week. The first two days we had calm winds but cloudless skies. The last day beautiful clouds with strong winds. I took 4 images with my 14x17 waiting for the lull but none of those turned out due to camera vibrations from the wind. I had to try and get something. I would recommend a digital camera. This will allow you to go to more places and not be constrained by the logistics of getting camera/gear there and back as well as taking the images. It would horrible to have nothing but windy days while you were there unable to shoot with your LF. If you like the place enough then next time you come back you know where to go and what to bring. If you have any other questions about Big Bend let me know.

Thank you, Michael (and everyone) — I’m going to take my Wista DX and my Fuji digital camera for which I have a normal lens and an ultra-wide. The Fuji and the lenses are small and fit in the same backpack as my LF camera. I can carry it on the airplane. At Big Bend I’ll probably end up using the Fuji more (I have a separate waist pack for it), but at least I’ll have my LF camera in the rental car in case I see something that screams large format and it’s not too windy. I’m going to ship loaded film holders to our destination and ship them back home.
I hope TSA won’t mistake my Pentax spot meter for a pistol.
Thanks for all the great advice.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2023, 10:38
Big Bend Texas Images (https://www.google.com/search?q=big+bend+texas&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS850US850&sxsrf=AJOqlzVZftIIrnmEJ3XHWQgIH3InTwTZ1Q:1676309703759&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK-LOjhJP9AhWblWoFHT3IBr0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1280&bih=630&dpr=1.5)

Sal Santamaura
13-Feb-2023, 10:39
...This fall I'll accompany a fellow even older than me into a back country area beyond cell phone access. His wife told him to either buy a satellite phone or don't go. So he bought one. The problem with less expensive satellite emergency beacons is that in some parts or the country, there might not be any response capability to them, while in others, these devices are so popular, and so many people "crying wolf" due to mere trail inconveniences, that response teams get overwhelmed. And in recent years, due to our huge fires and weather emergencies, there was a backlog of over 500 emergency requests, jamming the whole system. So one really needs to be somewhat self-sufficient too...

There's no problem with satellite emergency systems that's remotely close to being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no capability to request assistance. Self-sufficiency is a great goal, but I'd much rather be able to call for help and wait for a response than not be able to call at all. Basic logic. I'd not expect someone at Big Bend in April to encounter a system jammed with requests.

...I can't imagine going someplace like that without serious film camera gear, especially LF. But due to inevitable dust conditions, wrap things especially well in plastic bags etc. What is you end goal for all that effort? - serious darkroom printing, or just adding a few more to the millions of web digi images?

I stay in contact with the manufacturer of your 8x10, Dick Phillips. Dick has made many trips to Big Bend over the last decade or so since he retired from Michigan to Texas. Photography gear he uses no longer includes a view camera of any kind. All his photographic work is done with full-frame digital. He has made serious, beautiful inkjet prints, but no darkroom prints. We exchange prints and I've seen quite a few of them. None of Dick's work is on the Web. Looking down one's nose at non-large format, non-chemical photography is perilous. That attitude reflects negatively more on those who display it than on the digital photography they denigrate.

otto.f
13-Feb-2023, 10:46
The most important factor to decide is the chance of scans on the airport that can ruin your film, all the carrying for nothing. I had that recently having flown to Tenerife with my Hasselblad

BrianShaw
13-Feb-2023, 10:51
Thank you, Michael (and everyone) — I’m going to take my Wista DX and my Fuji digital camera for which I have a normal lens and an ultra-wide. The Fuji and the lenses are small and fit in the same backpack as my LF camera. I can carry it on the airplane. At Big Bend I’ll probably end up using the Fuji more (I have a separate waist pack for it), but at least I’ll have my LF camera in the rental car in case I see something that screams large format and it’s not too windy. I’m going to ship loaded film holders to our destination and ship them back home.
I hope TSA won’t mistake my Pentax spot meter for a pistol.
Thanks for all the great advice.

Enjoy!

Paul Ron
13-Feb-2023, 11:09
Yes!

Tin Can
13-Feb-2023, 11:17
Don't wear it as pistol

I had a friend selling SNAP-ON tools in a gas/repair station

He was wearing a SNAP-ON RED car timing light PISTOL in a SNAP-ON holster

Police arrived circa 1975

Enjoy!

Drew Wiley
13-Feb-2023, 12:27
I dunno about Texas, where open carry is common. But I sure wouldn't wear a meter holster anywhere around here, or some gangbanger, or even the police, might take it wrong. I often have a thermos /water bottle holster on my belt, and carry my lighter Ries tripod rifle-style over my shoulder, when just carrying just a MF camera in a shoulder pack. I can always tell when someone new is in the daily afternoon patrol helicopter because they make a couple circles around me with their binoculars. After that, they are used to it, and ignore me. Crime is rare along the trails back in, or really, anywhere in our open spaces per se; but gang-related sniper rifle incidents have frequently occurred at Freeway overpasses not far from certain Park access roads.

Hillbillies are more likely to mistake your whole setup for something suspicious. I've been accused of being a Govt Spy, FBI agent, and was once held at gunpoint for an afternoon by a "squatter's rights" rancher and his helpers, who denied the authority of the BLM or Fed Govt, sorta like the infamous Bundy clan. I never pressed charges. Without those wackos and a few mean pasture bulls, developers would move in instead, and wreck everything, at least in that particular area. But I had a co-worker who had once been a UPS driver in rural Nevada, and was held hostage for three days for being a "spy", whom they suspected of working for a neighboring giant ranch they had a long-running bitter feud with.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2023, 13:48
Entrapment is also used

He said, she said

I leave my broom at home and never fly

PatrickMarq
13-Feb-2023, 13:59
The most important factor to decide is the chance of scans on the airport that can ruin your film, all the carrying for nothing. I had that recently having flown to Tenerife with my Hasselblad

It seems that I was lucky when going to Tenerif. No problems with airports scanners on my trip Belgium-Tenerif.
When going abroad I always take two MF camera’s with me Fuji GW645 for city and Fuji GW6x9III for landscapes.
The GW690 was a good choice for Tenerif.
Always take backup images with my iPhone.

Drew Wiley
13-Feb-2023, 15:40
Well, in this case, it's not about going abroad into some civilized country and risks involved with airport XRay machines there, but into Texas, and the potential need for bullet proof film holders.

At my age, there are certain locations I love to own GW690's for (I have both a II and a III). But if I need to home in on distant details, or correct verticals in the scene, a lightwt 4x5 folder and roll film back make more sense as an ultralight option. Plus one can always take along a few full 4x5 holders for sake of images deserving bigger enlargements.

otto.f
14-Feb-2023, 00:43
It seems that I was lucky when going to Tenerif. No problems with airports scanners on my trip Belgium-Tenerif.
When going abroad I always take two MF camera’s with me Fuji GW645 for city and Fuji GW6x9III for landscapes.
The GW690 was a good choice for Tenerif.
Always take backup images with my iPhone.
Good to hear, I leave the chance open that it could have been the film which was Cinestill 50D. Perhaps not the most reliable manufacturer thinkable at the moment.

Kerosene Hat
15-Feb-2023, 16:23
What about renting a Fuji GFX Hasseldlad X1D/X2D rig?

bmikiten
15-Feb-2023, 16:35
Just to be clear (and not a gun owner), I've lived in Texas for 55 years and have never felt in danger photographing anywhere including the valley, West Texas and even in any of our large towns.

John Patrick Garriga
24-Mar-2023, 10:52
Big Bend was what really inspired me to get a view camera. 'Nuff Said

xkaes
24-Mar-2023, 15:02
Just to be clear (and not a gun owner), I've lived in Texas for 55 years and have never felt in danger photographing anywhere including the valley, West Texas and even in any of our large towns.

In National Parks you are generally safe, but in the larger, out of the way parts of the Parks it pays to pay attention -- because no one might be where you are for weeks.

I was once in the backcountry of Bandalier National Monument, New Mexico -- where no hunting is allowed -- and ran into two hunters who claimed to have "special permission'. I normally do a lot of off trail hiking, but as soon as I heard them blasting away nearby I pulled up stakes. I was able to report to the authorities that they decimated an entire heard of wild burros. I didn't get pictures of the herd, but I did get pictures of the hunters. The Rangers found the dead herd later on. Fortunately, with my help, and my friend, the Park Service was able to nail the bastards in Federal Court -- a FEDERAL case, for sure.

With me off trail, those idiots would have shot anything that moved -- including me!!!

Alan Klein
25-Mar-2023, 02:55
In National Parks you are generally safe, but in the larger, out of the way parts of the Parks it pays to pay attention -- because no one might be where you are for weeks.

I was once in the backcountry of Bandalier National Monument, New Mexico -- where no hunting is allowed -- and ran into two hunters who claimed to have "special permission'. I normally do a lot of off trail hiking, but as soon as I heard them blasting away nearby I pulled up stakes. I was able to report to the authorities that they decimated an entire heard of wild burros. I didn't get pictures of the herd, but I did get pictures of the hunters. The Rangers found the dead herd later on. Fortunately, with my help, and my friend, the Park Service was able to nail the bastards in Federal Court -- a FEDERAL case, for sure.

With me off trail, those idiots would have shot anything that moved -- including me!!!
It's a good thing you didn't have four legs.

Tin Can
25-Mar-2023, 05:39
I bet there is a counterpoint story

Here Wild Pigs will soon join Bambi hunt

Jim Noel
25-Mar-2023, 08:29
I'm not you, but I certainly wouldn't head there without at least 2 of my LF cameras- 5x12 (7x17 if I still had it),and 8x10.

Ben Calwell
27-Mar-2023, 09:28
I'm not you, but I certainly wouldn't head there without at least 2 of my LF cameras- 5x12 (7x17 if I still had it),and 8x10.

Thanks, Jim. I’m definitely taking my Wista DX kit. It’s pretty lightweight. Shipping my film ahead to avoid airport X-rays. I have an ancient Kodak 2D 8x10, but I don’t have energy to take it.

Mark Sampson
27-Mar-2023, 15:40
I'll suggest that on any trip of this sort you should concentrate on using one format; you carry less weight, use less film, and it helps keep your mind clear. Which is important when you're confronted with a large new subject...
I know Ansel took the whole shooting-match when he went out in his '47 Cadillac limo, I've seen that film, but I'm not Ansel.

Ben Calwell
27-Mar-2023, 16:50
I'll suggest that on any trip of this sort you should concentrate on using one format; you carry less weight, use less film, and it helps keep your mind clear. Which is important when you're confronted with a large new subject...
I know Ansel took the whole shooting-match when he went out in his '47 Cadillac limo, I've seen that film, but I'm not Ansel.

I’m no Ansel, either. I’m sticking with 4x5 on this trip.

Little Bear
17-Apr-2023, 17:29
You are probably already here or soon will be but if I can be of any help let me know, I live about 30 minutes north of BBNP.

Ben Calwell
17-Apr-2023, 18:07
You are probably already here or soon will be but if I can be of any help let me know, I live about 30 minutes north of BBNP.

Thanks, Little Bear! I am here. Tomorrow is our last day. BBNP is nicer than I expected. Hasn’t been very crowded, which is nice. Today I found Ansel Adams’s tripod holes at St. Elena Canyon and shot a few sheets of 4x5 TriX. Hazy sun and no daytime moon, like AA had. Not sure where in the park we’ll be tomorrow. A lot of great landscape options. Thanks for reaching out.

Little Bear
18-Apr-2023, 18:08
Thanks, Little Bear! I am here. Tomorrow is our last day. BBNP is nicer than I expected. Hasn’t been very crowded, which is nice. Today I found Ansel Adams’s tripod holes at St. Elena Canyon and shot a few sheets of 4x5 TriX. Hazy sun and no daytime moon, like AA had. Not sure where in the park we’ll be tomorrow. A lot of great landscape options. Thanks for reaching out.

Yes the madness was about a month ago, I try to not leave the house with all of the spring breakers in town. Glad you are having a good time as there is much to see. Keep having fun.