PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Center-Filter (90 F/5.6 Super Angulon)

PatrickMarq
5-Feb-2023, 11:24
I have used my Schneider-Kreuznach Super Angulon 90 F/5.6 for a long time now, quite happy with my 4x5 images.
But now I have a Shen Hao 6x17 back and I have a strong dark vignetting at the edges of my images.

I believe that the lens is wide enough for the 6x17 or am i mistaking ?
from : https://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF6x17cm.html
Schneider Super-Angulon XL 90 f/5.6 f/45 259 80.0 30.89 69.70 41.44 37.76 24.72 43 110 0 665 1.47 95

So do I need a new lens or just a center filter, and what kind of filter I have seen several but not the one I think I need, and where to purchase it.

Thx
Patrick

xkaes
5-Feb-2023, 12:53
You don't mention what format you use this lens with -- where it produced good results. I've got to assume 4x5. At 6x17, you are at 5x7 and might be experiencing noticeable light fall-off.

However, light fall-off is usually most pronounced in the four corners of an image, and I don't see much of that in your photo.

You also didn't say what f-stop was used. That makes a difference.

There are CND filters for your lens -- should you be suffering from light fall-off:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/center5.htm

PatrickMarq
5-Feb-2023, 14:44
You don't mention what format you use this lens with -- where it produced good results. I've got to assume 4x5. At 6x17, you are at 5x7 and might be experiencing noticeable light fall-off.

However, light fall-off is usually most pronounced in the four corners of an image, and I don't see much of that in your photo.

You also didn't say what f-stop was used. That makes a difference.

There are CND filters for your lens -- should you be suffering from light fall-off:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/center5.htm

Normally I use this lens with 4x5 always with good results. The camera is a Chamonix 45F2
In this case I used f32.
After looking around I found this one:
Schneider Center-Filter IV (90 F/5.6 Super Angulon)

xkaes
5-Feb-2023, 15:30
That's the one you want, and it seems like it is one of the easier ones to find -- not that any of them are easy to find, especially at a good price.

Dan Fromm
5-Feb-2023, 15:40
Patrick, with a 90 mm lens on 4x5, the corners will be down 1.5 stops from the center. Many people, including you, find this tolerable.

With a 90 on 6x17, the corners will be down 2 stops from the center. Not as easily tolerated.

All this assumes that the lens is stopped down far enough to eliminate mechanical vignetting; Schneider and Rodenstock recommend stopping down at least 2 stops from wide open.

PatrickMarq
5-Feb-2023, 23:23
Thank you all
Now I hope i’ll find one ‘cheap’ as friends from over from Florida. It will save me some import taxes :-)
Going to hunt ebay, if someone knows where to find one please send me a PM.

xkaes
6-Feb-2023, 07:41
You might find a temporary solution -- during your search for a IV CND -- is to use a similar CND from Schneider or other label, until you find a IV. You can always sell your temporary CND -- probably for as much as you paid for it.

PatrickMarq
11-Feb-2023, 02:12
After searching on Ebay I have found my filter.
But It was not easy, I tried first the .com nothing, after that different other ebay domains.

After a few day’s on the .de site I saw the filter, also quite interesting for taxes and import.

But still I’m wondering why the item did not showed up on the .com site ?

Havoc
11-Feb-2023, 02:48
But still I’m wondering why the item did not showed up on the .com site ?

I think the seller can set this. If I'm looking for something a bit less common I do a search at several domains.