PDA

View Full Version : Kodak price increase

Sal Santamaura
11-Jan-2023, 10:28
It's become traditional for members to complain about the increasing cost of film and paper. While not understanding the value of such posts (buy it, don't buy it, go digital, whatever), I decided to provide a venue where Kodak's detractors can vent.

Today: Kodak Poised to Raise the Price of Film by Up to 40%:

https://petapixel.com/2023/01/11/kodak-poised-to-raise-the-price-of-film-by-up-to-40/

Have at it!

domaz
11-Jan-2023, 10:45
It sounds like some of the most dramatic price increases might be because of the strength of the dollar as compared to other currencies, reading between the lines here (they mentioned the highest price increases in the UK and Japan). It feels like the film craze that started during the pandemic might be ebbing a bit, many "analog" YouTubers I've seen are now onto using early 2000s era digital cameras instead of film. Film demand will drop.

Michael R
11-Jan-2023, 11:02
Sal, as you know this is an internet forum :). What "value" (defined as what, exactly?) is there in the vast majority of posts?

In any case, thanks for posting this. Very bad for me personally. Kodak is the film I use. :(

It's become traditional for members to complain about the increasing cost of film and paper. While not understanding the value of such posts (buy it, don't buy it, go digital, whatever), I decided to provide a venue where Kodak's detractors can vent.

Today: Kodak Poised to Raise the Price of Film by Up to 40%:

https://petapixel.com/2023/01/11/kodak-poised-to-raise-the-price-of-film-by-up-to-40/

Have at it!

Andrew O'Neill
11-Jan-2023, 11:19
I've moved on from their LF films so I don't really care. There are other LF alternatives out there. :)

domaz
11-Jan-2023, 11:33
I've moved on from their LF films so I don't really care. There are other LF alternatives out there. :)

Somehow I don't think Kodak is going to be the only manufacturer in 2023 with price increases.

Oren Grad
11-Jan-2023, 11:39
The headline is clickbait. It says "up to 40%", while the article says, in various places, "upwards of 40%", "overall average coming out to about 17%", "between 20 and 40%" for Japan, and "still undetermined" for the US.

The dollar/yen exchange rate has been volatile over the past year. Even after regaining some strength recently the yen is currently still down by roughly 20% over the past year. That exchange rate trajectory by itself would be enough to explain the increase anticipated for Japan.

Sal Santamaura
11-Jan-2023, 11:46
The headline is clickbait...

Of course. It's PetaPixel. :)

Vaidotas
11-Jan-2023, 11:50
Kentmere 120 format entry to the market pricing on 2022 december here in Europe was equal to FP4, HP5.
That means Ilford will rise pricing in the nearest future.

John Kasaian
11-Jan-2023, 11:51
Tmax still rocks.
But I can only afford it in 35mm
:rolleyes:

John Kasaian
11-Jan-2023, 11:54
Kentmere 120 format entry to the market pricing on 2022 december here in Europe was equal to FP4, HP5.
That means Ilford will rise pricing in the nearest future.

History shows that as Kodak goes, so goes Ilford---eventually.

John Layton
11-Jan-2023, 11:55
I'm using about an equal amount of FP4 and TMY these days...and my strategy for the latter has become to avoid doing multiple exposures of a given setup, as well as to "take more time" in arriving at a particular composition. In other words...being extremely careful, then trying my best to do a one-off exposure. Helps me in some ways...but scary as heck in others! :eek:

...have also become even more obsessive about taking whatever care possible during processing!

Ben Calwell
11-Jan-2023, 12:32
I’m a longtime Tri-X shooter, primarily in sheet film. Even because of the current prices, I’m very, very selective in what I photograph. Unless I stumble on another Moonrise Over Hernandez, I ain’t tripping the shutter. I need to make my 10-sheet boxes of 4x5 last! It’s like loading thin sheets of gold into my holders.

Jim Noel
11-Jan-2023, 12:40
Thank goodness for a full freezer of film, and the reasonable prices of X-ray film.
My lately deceased friend and traveling companion and I made a habit of purchasing next years probable needs in November, or early December every year anticipating Kodak's annual increases in price.

Paul Ron
11-Jan-2023, 13:10
right now tmax400 120 is about $10/roll from B&H. make every shot count friends!

its an expensive hobby! but hey im having a great time.

Tin Can
11-Jan-2023, 13:21
I have plenty of film of all kinds

I will never run out

I just inspected a 10 year old gallon bottle of TF 5 from PF

No leaks, no color, it is clear, liquid level is constant

BrianShaw
11-Jan-2023, 17:17

I will never run out

Me too; we are blessed. I also have plenty of AZO... double blessed.

Michael R
11-Jan-2023, 17:51
I bet all those ancient materials are in tip top shape too. Serious blessings. Miracles even.

BrianShaw
11-Jan-2023, 18:06
I bet all those ancient materials are in tip top shape too. Serious blessings. Miracles even.

Well, hopefully. It’s still TBD.

Drew Wiley
11-Jan-2023, 18:12
I need to replenish printing paper from time to time, but have enough 8X10 and 4X5 film in my freezer to last me till I'm 80. I do need to periodically replenish my supply of 120 roll film, but that's relatively affordable.

Tin Can
12-Jan-2023, 04:48
I am still aging my 750 sheets of 8X10 AZO

jnantz
12-Jan-2023, 06:25

I don't think I am blessed but I know how to make my own from scratch, (it takes about 20 minutes)

Michael R
12-Jan-2023, 07:27
Or get some Lupex, which is double weight. Blessings be upon you.

I don't think I am blessed but I know how to make my own from scratch, (it takes about 20 minutes)

BrianShaw
12-Jan-2023, 07:48

You are. I wish upon a star that it was possible to make (inexpensive and quickly and reliably) Portra…

domaz
12-Jan-2023, 09:49
You are. I wish upon a star that it was possible to make (inexpensive and quickly and reliably) Portra…

Everyone with insider knowledge of color film has basically said- once it's gone it's gone. The formulas are trade secrets, and the chemical supply chain that goes with it is not trivial in the first place. Expensive it may be, but it's kind of a miracle color film is still being produced at all in this day and age.

paulbarden
12-Jan-2023, 10:20
As usual, Petapixel loves to make these "sky is falling" announcements, because it's what gets reader attention. I will be very surprised if the next price hike here in the USA is more than 15%.
That said, Kodak priced themselves out of my reach last year, so I don't really care what they do. TMY is great, but so is Delta 400, which I now prefer, and FP4 is my sheet film go-to now.

Paul Ron
12-Jan-2023, 11:00

I will never run out

I just inspected a 10 year old gallon bottle of TF 5 from PF

No leaks, no color, it is clear, liquid level is constant

NEVER? thats a bold statement TC.

im flush with paper n film for now, but im not planning to drop dead before i run out. as last ng as someone is makng these products, ill pay whatever it costs to keep my hobby alive. hey, sell a few prints a year and the hobby pays for itself.

BrianShaw
12-Jan-2023, 11:26
As usual, Petapixel loves to make these "sky is falling" announcements, because it's what gets reader attention.

... and it appears to work!

Tin Can
12-Jan-2023, 11:31
I feel the reaper

SergeyT
12-Jan-2023, 16:19
If one keeps an eye on film prices then it should not go unnoticed that prices on some color films in 120 have slightly dropped. Examples would be Kodak Gold 200 that now can be had for about $38 per 5 roll pack and Fuji 400H at ~$50 for the same roll count.

ASA1000
12-Jan-2023, 17:37
100 sheets of Ilford 8x10 MG FB went from $133 to $148 at B&H... within the last week or two.

Alan Klein
13-Jan-2023, 08:59
The headline is clickbait. It says "up to 40%", while the article says, in various places, "upwards of 40%", "overall average coming out to about 17%", "between 20 and 40%" for Japan, and "still undetermined" for the US.

The dollar/yen exchange rate has been volatile over the past year. Even after regaining some strength recently the yen is currently still down by roughly 20% over the past year. That exchange rate trajectory by itself would be enough to explain the increase anticipated for Japan.

The value of the US dollar seems to be coming down a little compared to other currencies. That would lower Kodak prices in Japan and England and raise Fuji and Ilford prices in America.

Actually, Kodak is a strange bird. Kodak who makes the film in America, sells it exclusively to Kodak Alaris in Great Britain who adds their markups. So Kodak film gets a double increase compared to others like Ilford or Fuji where the manufacturer and distributors are the same.

Alan Klein
13-Jan-2023, 09:01
I'm using about an equal amount of FP4 and TMY these days...and my strategy for the latter has become to avoid doing multiple exposures of a given setup, as well as to "take more time" in arriving at a particular composition. In other words...being extremely careful, then trying my best to do a one-off exposure. Helps me in some ways...but scary as heck in others! :eek:

...have also become even more obsessive about taking whatever care possible during processing!

Higher prices might make us better photographers. :)

Alan Klein
13-Jan-2023, 09:07
I’m a longtime Tri-X shooter, primarily in sheet film. Even because of the current prices, I’m very, very selective in what I photograph. Unless I stumble on another Moonrise Over Hernandez, I ain’t tripping the shutter. I need to make my 10-sheet boxes of 4x5 last! It’s like loading thin sheets of gold into my holders.

I spent around $160 last July including shipping from Japan to buy 20 sheets of 4x5 Velvia 50. It's being discontinued. I locked it away in my freezer next to some leftovers. I hope -8 degrees F isn't too cold for film. I keep my other emulsions like Provia and Tmax there too at that low temperature.

Drew Wiley
13-Jan-2023, 09:57
An employee at the local camera store bought an entire case of 4X5 Acros for personal use from the vey last batch, 160 boxes of it as I recall, prior to the pandemic. I have one 20 sheet box of my own of Acros in the freezer. It's really TMax films I rely on most now, although I do know how to tweak Delta into so-so similarity (still not the same thing). But in large format, I'd far rather use FP4 or HP5 than default to Delta if TMax becomes unaffordable. I do have a pretty good reservoir of both speeds of TMax sheet film on hand, which will last me quite awhile.

domaz
13-Jan-2023, 10:17
100 sheets of Ilford 8x10 MG FB went from $133 to $148 at B&H... within the last week or two.

I would argue that Silver Gelatin prices are so high per sheet now, you are better off calibrating a digital negative workflow for them so you don't have to worry about calibrating exposure and contrast for every individual negative. This is what Alt Process printers do and it works quite well..

domaz
13-Jan-2023, 10:19
An employee at the local camera store bought an entire case of 4X5 Acros for personal use..

That camera store must pay better than most, or the employee is the owner??

jnantz
13-Jan-2023, 10:35
That camera store must pay better than most, or the employee is the owner??

It might be an urban legend!

jp
13-Jan-2023, 10:43
I would argue that Silver Gelatin prices are so high per sheet now, you are better off calibrating a digital negative workflow for them so you don't have to worry about calibrating exposure and contrast for every individual negative. This is what Alt Process printers do and it works quite well..

I figure every time I use my Epson printer, it disappears $10 worth of ink it seems. I spend more on printer ink and get less to show for it than from a box of photo paper.
Not a curmudgeon against the digital method of output at all just being realistic. With alt process, the Epson could save HUGE time too, since each sheet of paper has to be prepared by hand and then dried before exposure.

Alan Klein
13-Jan-2023, 18:42
An employee at the local camera store bought an entire case of 4X5 Acros for personal use from the vey last batch, 160 boxes of it as I recall, prior to the pandemic. I have one 20 sheet box of my own of Acros in the freezer. It's really TMax films I rely on most now, although I do know how to tweak Delta into so-so similarity (still not the same thing). But in large format, I'd far rather use FP4 or HP5 than default to Delta if TMax becomes unaffordable. I do have a pretty good reservoir of both speeds of TMax sheet film on hand, which will last me quite awhile.

Which Tmax 100 or 400 do you like and why and when do you use them??

Daniel Stone
13-Jan-2023, 18:59
Personally, I've taken well to the "Shoot less, make every shot count" model. Don't waste time on something unless you really like it, or know it will be worthy of a print one day.
I've found that using my eyes to enjoy a scene sometimes makes more sense than hurrying to setup the camera and losing the magic of a moment.