PDA

View Full Version : Request for Scanning Assistance

Michael Heald
23-Apr-2006, 17:26
Hello! With assistance from the recommendations from folks in this forum, I've made my first steps in learning how to scan and manipulate 4x5 negatives .

I am looking to see if someone could scan two negatives for me with an Epson 4990 scanner to help me to evaluate what equipment will best meet my needs for a digital large format work flow.

I will try to determine what type of new scanner and printer I would need for the type and amount of prints I expect to make (or whether I even need new equipment as opposed to sending out the negatives for scanning and printing after I adjust them on them on my computer .)

I plan on usnig one B&W negative and one color negative. I'll scan each with my Microtek 5900, an Epson 4990, and a drum scan (such as from West Coast Imaging) at 2400 spi and 8 bit depth. I'll optimize each with Elements 2 with the Hidden Power of Elements (which I have) as well as Photoshop (which I'll have a colleague help me with). I'll have each digital file printed to a size of 8x10 and compare the results using: a mail order printer I use, a good desktop ink jet printer and good paper, and with good paper and ink at a custom processor such as West Coast imaging.

If any 8x10s look equal to my eye (and to others whose opinion I value), I'll have those pictures enlarged to and compare the results again. I don't expect to have any negatives printed larger than 16x20.

With this evaluation, I'll be able to determine how much each incremental increase in print an dscan quality will cost me, so that I can determine if it will be worthwhile for my needs.

I would appreciate it if someone could volunteer to scan my two 4x5 negatives with an Epson 4990 to a CD I would provide and send them back to me in a pre-paid envelope. Additionally, I'd appreciate feedback on this plan to make sure it will work. Best regards.

Mike

I expect that

robc
23-Apr-2006, 17:37
one flaw in your plan is to scan at 2400 dpi. This is because flatbed scanners have a fixed hardware scan resolution. Scanning at a lower dpi than the scanners native resolution results in two possible scenarios depending on the scan software being used. The scan software either drops some scan lines or it scans at the native scanner resolution and then dowsizes. You would need to know which software someone is using and whether its the same as the software you will be using in the future.

It would be better to get someone to scan at the scanners native resolution and for you to do the downsizing with your own software.

Leonard Evens
23-Apr-2006, 17:39
I have an Epson 3200. As best I can tell, the 4990 does only about 10-20 percent better is effective resolution, and otherwise, they are similar scanners. I have lots of experience scanning negatives. If you want me to try, I would be happy to do so.

Henry Ambrose
23-Apr-2006, 18:42
Some suggestions about your plan:

1) 8x10s full frame of 4x5 film won't tell you a thing. Crop out part of the image to make an 8x10 that is a section of a 16x20 enlargement.

2) Your skill in Photoshop will have a huge effect on the outcome. Since you are just starting out your skills may not be up to the task.

3) Each printing device you use will have its own input resolution and sharpening needs, color space, etc. so valid direct comparison is difficult. Use a high end commercial machine with a proven track record of being able to make great prints.

4) General agreement around here seems to be that the 4990 is good enough to make 3-4X enlargements on a regular basis. I think this is accurate, depending on the scene and how good a piece of film you've made.

5) Just buy the Epson based on #4 if that seems to meet your requirements. Knowing that Epson has new models coming you might wait a little while. But for $408.95 at Amazon its gonna be hard to beat a 4990.

6) I'll scan negative for you on my 4990 - but really, you could skip all this and get started scanning.

Ted Harris
23-Apr-2006, 21:01
Mike, its time to hold your nose and dive in. The 8x10's aren't going to tell you much and by the time you pay for the high quality drum scans, the 8x10's and the lartger prints you will have spent something between a quarter and half the price you will pay for the 4990.

Ed Richards
23-Apr-2006, 21:02
Given that you can buy the new Epson V700 for about the same as the 4990, it seems a better choice.

Scott Rosenberg
23-Apr-2006, 22:03
good theory, and on paper it sounds like a nice project, but in reality it's not going to accurately show you what results you can expect or what system is ultimately going to return the best prints. why? because you're not using each system like it was your only option. if you really want to see which system will yield the finest prints, take each independent of the the others and make the BEST print possible from each scanner. asses the quality of the best print each system has to offer, and make your decision then. your present doi will only tell you which system is capable of yielding the finest print from a 2400 dpi scan - not generally how you'll use the scanners.

read ted's reply, then if you still want to persist in this experiment, read ted's reply again.

Michael Heald
24-Apr-2006, 08:15
Hello! Thank you for the input. From comments, it would seem that most folks think that 8x10 prints will look fairly close regardless of the three systems I outlined. Is this the consensus? If so, then the need for new equipment would be determined by how many 16x20 prints I make over the course of time, and how much quality I want for those 16x20.

It seems that the recommendations I've received would be to use the Epson 4990 rather than a drum scan (drum scans cost ~$75 per scan at 300MB) and Photoshop CS2 for 16 bit imaging. I currently run a P3 with 384meg RAM. I would think that I would have to upgrade the RAM to about 1 gig. Can a P3 run Photoshop CS2 with sufficient RAM? Best regards.

Mike

Ed Richards
24-Apr-2006, 08:36
I think you better start with a new computer. Even if you can get enough ram in, which is not likely, it is going to be a real dog.

Ted Harris
24-Apr-2006, 09:56
Michael,

First what Ed said then .... Search the archives here for several discussions on computers and photoshop. Not to mention, you may also want to question whether or not you are satisfied with the quality of the 16x20 prints you are getting made or if you want to make the investment in a professional printer. Take a look at the article on "Strategic Planning for the Large Format Digital Workflow" which walks you through the entire decision process.

Contact me offline if you want more material from the article.

Michael Heald
25-Apr-2006, 05:56
Hello! Thanks for your guidance. These recommendations have helps and past discussions , recommendations, and book recommendations have been helpful as I me decisions about a digital workflow. Best regards.

Mike