PDA

View Full Version : Good scanner for Transparancies

brian steinberger
21-Apr-2006, 21:48
I'm wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a flatbed scanner for scanning transparancies up to 4x5 and priced modestly (under $500). I've been looking at the Epson 4490, 4990, and V-700. I'm looking to scan as resonably high resolutions to send to print on lightjet printers.

Capocheny
21-Apr-2006, 23:35
Brian,

I'd be waiting for the newer model Epsons but they'll be a bit more costly than what you want to spend. Therefore, having said that... I'd go for either the 4990 or the earlier 3200. They're both very good scanners but the V700 and the V750 are theoretically a big step above.

Personally, I'm using the 3200 and get very good results from it. However, when the V750 comes out.... :)

Others may well recommend the Mictotek but I've not had any experience with them. But, I believe they're a bit more costly than $500 too.

The other thing you might want to do is to look up a review on scanners by Ted Harris in View Camera Magazine. Sorry... I can't recall the issue or month it was released. Perhaps, one of the other members on this forum will happen to remember. :)

Cheers

Jonathan_6488
22-Apr-2006, 01:12
Well - for mymoney - I wouldn't really try to compromise. If you're outputting to Lightjet anything Epson is going to be disappointing. I've played with some Imacons too - but I really wasn't impressed. I'd definitely just pay for periodic drum scans if I were you.

neil poulsen
22-Apr-2006, 05:24
There's also the Epsen 4870 as a used model. These were marginally better than the Epsen 3200. That's what I have, and it's works for me.

But, if I were buying new, I'd be looking at the newest Epsens coming out. It's double what you want to spend, but the early reviews are quite positive. Even the 2nd tier one just about matches what can be obtained with a Nikon 4000 dedicated scanner for 35mm slides.

The degree of enlargement makes a difference. Based on comments in earlier threads, 16x20 is about as large as one wants to attempt scanning 4x5 using a 4990. 11x14 works decently.

Bruce M. Herman
22-Apr-2006, 10:21
I also question the wisdom of producing lightjet prints from an inexpensive desk top scanner. These do no have the resolution they claim, nor the ability to record the full range of light and dark values on your film.

You should consider a good used or refurbished Microtek 1800f

tim atherton
22-Apr-2006, 10:37
"a good used or refurbished Microtek 1800f"

the problem is, "good" being the operative word. The 1800f's have a reputation for poor operation out of the box and Micrtotek poor customer service.

I know of two people first hand who have been through three from brand new in a few weeks from purchase and then gave up

If you get a good one right out of the box you are probably fine - if not... well

Andre Noble
23-Apr-2006, 12:38
I think at your price range, the Epson V-700 is what you want and shall I dare say, need.

The fellow who dismissed Epson scans-to-OCE Lightjet prints has either an under-valuation of Epson prosumer scanner quality (especially with large format film sizes) or and over-valuation of Lightjet printers.

Percy
23-Apr-2006, 15:04
Tim:
Couldn't agree more. My Microtek 1800 was a piece of unmitigated crapola, in my opinion. The thing left skid marks on most of my scans, the 4x5 holder was warped (right out of the box!) and one of the software pakages was not mac compatible. Even so, the Microtek customer service guy kept telling me the scanner was a good, reliable product. Yeah...right...

My Epson 4990, on the other hand, is a major improvement over the 1800f. Ken Rockwell indicated this; I didn't believe it...even said so. I stand corrected. It even does well on 6x6 and, beleive it or not, more than a mediocre job on 35mm. Go figure.

Remigius
24-Apr-2006, 15:54
brian,

i got a 4990 (and am just using it right now). it's quite satisfactory, but as others have mentioned, i'd refrain from lightjet prints with scans from a "cheapo" scanner. for me it's just a way to get around contact sheets and to create scans for the web. if buying new, i'd probably go for the 750, throwing in a little extra money over the 700 to get calibration with the silverfast ai that is bundled with it (afaik). don't know if this concerns you, but the mf film holders are imho an improvement, too (2 stripes of 6x20 instead of 3 stripes of 6x12). i have bought my 4990 a couple of weeks before the announcement of the new scanners.

Frank Petronio
24-Apr-2006, 19:20
It all depends on the size of the Lightjet... but if you can afford Lightjets, then why not get a decent scanner or purchase scans of the same caliber as the printer? After all, the results will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain...

Wait and spend more for the new Epson 750 if you can. Otherwise it is hard to beat the 4990 for the price.

To my way of thinking, an Epson flatbed is a good match for an mid-sized Epson printer - good for mainstream, everyday professional and moderate sized exhibit work. If I made a lot of big inkjets I'd be looking for an Imacon to match, and if I were going to a Lightjet or film output I'd be looking for a good drum scanner.

bvalente
15-Oct-2006, 20:52
Just to take up this old(er) thread - has anyone given thought to the Epson 750 pro vs. the Canon 9550? I've read several reviews that make them sound roughly on par - well, slight edge to the epson for quality (and the fluid mount), but for almost twice the price?

Brian