PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas or suggestions for mounting a large lens on a Technika board?

jdurr
23-Dec-2022, 10:04
I have this beautiful Wollensak Velostigmat Series II 9.5" f4.5 portrait lens that I want to use on my Horseman Woodman 45.
The Woody uses Linhof type lens boards. When I try to use a flange as a retaining ring, it will not fit the Woody.

Any suggestions on how to adapt it to work?

The lens is so cool and really shines for portraiture!

What say you?

Thanks

diversey
23-Dec-2022, 10:39
Use a step-up or an extension lens board depending on how big the rear lens cell is.

Dugan
23-Dec-2022, 10:47
Have you tried removing the camera back and screwing the flange onto the lens with the lens board in place?

Another option would be to have a metal Linhof-type lensboard machined with Betax #4 mounting threads.

MartyNL
23-Dec-2022, 10:52
Without knowing all of the details, measurements etc. What I can say, is that some retaining rings I've seen have had a slice removed from the underside in order to allow the lens board to fit and to be fastened in place.
Another style I've seen is for the retaining ring to be drilled and attached to the outer lensboard and the lens screwed in place, rather than on the inside.
Or finding a narrower retaining ring might also be an option?

Is the lensboard hole centred or off-centre, if it's not the one in the picture?

A beautiful lens, by the way!

Jim Noel
23-Dec-2022, 11:21
In these cases I go to a hobby shop which specializes in model airplanes and by a sheet plywood which is the correct thickness or up to 2x the thickness under the mounting locks. The thicker one is more substantial so I usually buy one the same thickness of the total depth of the lensboard space. I use a sharp knife or router to trim the top and bottom edge to fit in the front upright of the camera, then drill, or use a saber saw to cut an opening for the shutter mounting ring. Use small screws to attach the ring. I have about a dozen I have made for various lenses and cameras. Some mor than 30 years old and still usable.

jdurr
23-Dec-2022, 11:22
THANKS for the tips. I really need to get a retaining ring for this lens/shutter. I used a flange with my Canham and it did fine. I just don't have the room now with the Woody.

Would anyone know the size and thread for a 9.5" Series ii Wolly mounted on a Betax 4 shutter?

I would like to do this right and not just rig up something.

Thanks

Dugan
23-Dec-2022, 11:27
Betax #4 Flange mount = 2.623" x 30 tpi.
Courtesy of:
www.alphaxbetax.com

MartyNL
23-Dec-2022, 11:47
Is it the case that the retaining ring is altogether too big for the linhof style lensboard?
Is the retaining ring too big to fit inside the throat of the Woodman?
Or is it that the retaining ring obscures the central guide groove at the bottom of the lensboard preventing fitting?
Or something different?

jdurr
23-Dec-2022, 11:54
Thanks

jdurr
23-Dec-2022, 11:55
1-no
2-yes
3-no

Bernice Loui
23-Dec-2022, 12:34
Take a lens board and shutter/lens flange to your friendly local machine shop, have them set up the lens board on a lathe to bore out the hole to fit, drill-tap the holes (make sure the shutter orientation to lens board is clearly marked) for shutter/lens flange, install the shutter/lens flange on the lens board with screws as needed, done.

Do this all the time with non-standard lenses on Sinar lens boards,
Bernice

1-no
2-yes
3-no

Tin Can
23-Dec-2022, 14:02
Sometimes we need bigger than SINAR as I have some odd camera with big lenses

I mount all my own, as I like doing that and have the skills

I have 4 lenses on 8X8" lens boards

and I want to mount those on a 9" boards sometimes

So I adapted the 8" to 9" with 4 bolts

Both cameras that use these lenses have large Packard Shutters inside the camera

Linhof 8X10 1955 with KODAK 405 all studio only and heavy

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50791920838_df3febbbc4_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2koiSv5)Linhof triple Kodak 405 Portrait (https://flic.kr/p/2koiSv5) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

gypsydog
24-Dec-2022, 09:38
You could just mount the Betax flange properly to the front of the lens board, just checked it on a tech board and no problem. Otherwise, S.K. Grimes can supply the proper retaining ring.

linhofbiker
24-Dec-2022, 10:01
I solved this problen years ago - got a Linhof Kardan. Theses used to be very inexpensive and today they can be had for reasonable prices. If you mount the lens in a 4x5 Technika board and you have the adapter for Kardan, all is well, or you can find a Kardan board of the correct size and use that. Kardan boards are available 3D printed for very reasonable prices too. All the Technika backs will fit on the Kardan too.

Bernice Loui
24-Dec-2022, 12:36
Or Sinar or other similar monorail camera.. which appears to be a currently un-popular, un-fashionable yet excellent solution to properly supporting lenses required to meet the image goals.

IMO, 3D printed lens boards are sorta ok, but they are not without problems. From mechanical stability, precision/accuracy of the 3D printed part, finish and more.

Bernice

I solved this problen years ago - got a Linhof Kardan. Theses used to be very inexpensive and today they can be had for reasonable prices. If you mount the lens in a 4x5 Technika board and you have the adapter for Kardan, all is well, or you can find a Kardan board of the correct size and use that. Kardan boards are available 3D printed for very reasonable prices too. All the Technika backs will fit on the Kardan too.

Dave Ogle
27-Dec-2022, 09:13
I had same problem. have a Linhof,, Wista 4x5 and 8x10. I can use all lenses on all cameras. and a Sinar with an a adapter lens board. but limits choice of lenses due to their size

Jim Noel
27-Dec-2022, 11:17
Or Sinar or other similar monorail camera.. which appears to be a currently un-popular, un-fashionable yet excellent solution to properly supporting lenses required to meet the image goals.

IMO, 3D printed lens boards are sorta ok, but they are not without problems. From mechanical stability, precision/accuracy of the 3D printed part, finish and more.

Bernice

Agree about the printed lens boards. I had difficulty with them because they warped in the SoCAl sun.

Greg
27-Dec-2022, 16:43

Bernice

Totally agree. This past year I acquired three standard/flat 3D printed Sinar boards from three different sellers. The were useable, but they were not precision "accessories" by any means. This past month acquired three older Sinar Norma boards to replace the 3D printed boards. I also did acquire a 3D printed recessed Sinar board... Since I couldn't find an OEM recessed Sinar board FS, it totally works for me. Plus was a fraction of the cost of having a custom metal recessed Sinar board fabricated/machined.

John Kasaian
27-Dec-2022, 21:29
See if a plumbing supply house has a tight fitting toilet tank gasket that will fit the lens with the lensboard sandwiched between the Betax and the gasket.

jnantz
28-Dec-2022, 00:50
SK Grimes is worth contacting. When Steve was running the shop he helped me fit large things on small boards, sometimes it required something special/custom, Adam and his team are extremely gifted with these sorts of situations as well, like Steve, real engineer-artists!.. good luck!