PDA

View Full Version : Finding a field camera equivalent to your monorail

David R Munson
20-Apr-2006, 12:44
I love large format and have been shooting it for about eight years or so now. Unfortunately, I don't find myself shooting as much with it these days, and I think part of it has to do with the bulk of the kit. I use a Linhof Kardan Bi 4x5 monorail that I love dearly. It's about the best camera I have ever used and it's wonderful, but the thing is rather large and weighs at least twelve pounds.

For a while I have been toying with the idea of trading it for a field camera. It's not that I can't carry the camera fairly comfortably - being 24 I've got youth and strength on my side. However, I would just rather travel light at this stage. I would shoot 4x5 far more often if I could just throw a field camera and a couple grafmatics in my messenger bag, put the tripod strap over the opposite shoulder and roll. I'd love to shoot 4x5 when I go out cycling, which I often do with 35mm and 645, and could do so with a more compact LF camera.

The real issue here, it seems, is finding the proper field equivalent to my monorail. I shoot entirely with a 210mm lens and likely won't vary from that any time soon, so I don't need to be able to accomodate crazy-short lenses, but could use a bit of extension for close-up work. I want precision and stability more than light weight, so no wobbly-but-superlight cameras. Movements up front are fairly critical, as I do like to mess around with the plane of focus at times. There can't be any issues with a Polaroid back, as I do like to shoot T/55. Finally, unless I can find someone who wants to do an even trade, I need to find something that will fit my budget of whatever the Kardan will fetch on the current market.

I've been thinking maybe a used Linhof Technika (IV or later) or the Horseman equivalent. I would love an Ebony, but as we all know those are crazy expensive. Any suggestions or thoughts by those who have made a similar transition?

Juergen Sattler
20-Apr-2006, 12:50
A Linhof Technika will not work for you if you are looking for the equivalent of a mono-rail. I always felt that the Technikas are the exact opposite of a precise mono rail camera. I would look into the Canham DLC45 - an all-metal camera that folds to a compact size, is very light but has (almost) all of the movements of a monorail. I started out with a Sinar F1, loved the camera, but hated to take it on hikes, then tried the 2 Technikas, hated the movements on those, tried an older wooden folder, but it just wasn't for me. Two years ago I bought the Canham and couldn't be happier with it. It handles short lenses (my shortest is a 65mm) and long lenses (my longest is a 300mm) with the same bellows. It will go beyond a 300mm lens!

steve simmons
20-Apr-2006, 13:03
What features and movements do you need. With a 210 to do closeups I would recommend at least 14-16" of bellows. This will limit your choices.

If it is convenient for you there is a free large f6ormat trade show in Rockford, IL June 9-11 where a lot of cameras will be available for holding, and comparing. You may have to try this type of event to get just what you want for your uses.

steve simmons

David Karp
20-Apr-2006, 13:05
Most of my experience has been with two Cambo monorails. I also used a Crown Graphic for a while when I could not lug the monorail with me. Recently I purchased a used Walker Titan SF from Jim at MPEX. I think it is a wonderful camera. It is durable, pretty rigid compared to most of the field cameras I have seen (no I have not seen an Ebony), well made, and offers front swing, tilt, rise and fall, and back tilt, swing, and shift. It offers plenty of extension (I can use a Fuji 450 C on it using a combination of front base and axis tilts) . It folds up nicely and is a pleasure to carry around in my backpack compared to the Cambos. There are lighter cameras, but this one seemed to offer the best combination of compactness, weight, rigidity, extension, durability, and movements for my needs. If the camera gets dirty, you can remove the bellows and wash it in the sink. It uses Technika-type boards. It might be worth considering.

Ted Harris
20-Apr-2006, 13:24
If yu want to come close to equalling the 'feel' of your Bi Karden then you should concentrate on the metal fields. None of the wood cameras will gie you te sort of precision feel you are used to. You probably will not like the Technika or the Horseman if you use a lot of rear movements (but try one first it is a matter of choice). That leaves you the Toyo, Canham, Wista and Walker (the Walker is ABS but feels like a metal camera in use). You might also want to consider the Technikarden.

Jim Galli
20-Apr-2006, 13:29
I've had well over a dozen 4X5's beginning with a Cambo. Long story short; it was too heavy. bought Zone VI. Still too heavy. Bought Nagaoka. Light but non functional. Back to a 2nd Z VI. Traded that for a Wisner. Wisner is current but no better than the Zone VI. In between others have come and gone. Everything from Burke and james to Toyo monorail and field, to Linhof Color. Bottom line is you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to decide which middle ground is best for you. I'm reasonably content for the moment with the Wisner, but I've kept a Zone VI bag bellows just in case I wind up with one again some time. The Shen Hao actually is kind of tempting. I'd like to use one for a day. I can't or won't afford an Ebony.

Donald Brewster
20-Apr-2006, 13:40
You sound like a future Canham DLC customer to me. My progression was Linhof to Arca to Phillips, and that (finally) works for me, in honing down to a lightweight kit.

tim atherton
20-Apr-2006, 13:42
The Canham DLC is nice, fairly firm and solid, but with a certain amount of "spring"/flex, which some folks don't like.

Arca Swiss 4x5 - one of the several variants. Rock solid, precise, but fairly expensive.

And as someone has suggested, why not a Technikardan - plenty of movements, a certain familiarity if you are using the Kardan, reasonably compact, not too heavy, fairly solid/rigid (some "spring"/flex, but not as much as the Canham) - and going comparatively cheaply on ebay if you are patient - I got one for less than a used Canham.

I recently exchanged my Arca for a Technikardan (studio stuff was getting less than field work) and don't regret it too much yet.... The Technikardan seems a strange combination of Teutonic ingenuity and machining combined with some odd British "Heath Robinson" ideas!

Also, I much prefer the axis tilts on the Technikardan. The First two have base tilts (until you get into the more expensive arcas I think)

Eric Biggerstaff
20-Apr-2006, 14:22
David,

What do you like to photograph?

If you "only" use a 210mm lens, there are many cameras that might meet your criteria depending on what you like to photograph.

Other than the Linhof, what other cameras have you tried? What features did you like? Have you ever used a folding "field" camera?

To travel "light" means that you will have trade offs when compared to your monorail and I am not sure there is a folding camera that will give you the same feel (the higher end folding cameras will be the most likely, but they can be VERY expensive). Also, the tripod you will carry when cycling might put a damper on going light as this can often be the bulk of the weight ( tough to fit in a messenger bag as well).

Also, what is your estimated budget based on what you think you can get for your current camera? This will narrow the field.

"Wobbly" is a matter of tradeoffs on weight, function, features, materials,etc. Many a great image has been made with cameras such as the Tachihara or Shen-Hao, are these "wobbly"?

Like many on this forum, I have owned or used several cameras. Each has its benefits and drawbacks, I am not sure there is any single "best" camera out there. What I have learned is that a user will generally adapt to the equipment they have, as all equipment has it's shortfalls. We all have a tendency to relate expense with quality, which is not always the case. For me the "best" camera is the one I am using. One suggestion is to decide what you really like to photograph, contact photographers whose work might be close to yours or that you admire, and ask them what they are using.

Good luck and thanks for the post.

Ole Tjugen
20-Apr-2006, 14:49
Try a Linhof Color.

It's a monorail, but far more easily portable than most monorails. Movements are more limited than the Kardan - they are about the same as a Technika. The weight is similar to a Technika too. When I've used mine around other LF photographers, I've discovered that the Color is far quicker to set up - I'd often got my shot and packed the camera again before the others had got the camera set up enough to put the lens on.

The 42cm of rail is short enough to pack in a simple backpack (I've used a Lowepro S&F Rover Lite), yet long enough to focus to 1:1 with a 210mm lens.

They are also old, and cheap. But for a "field monorail", only the Carbon Infinity is better (and I know exactly what those cost!).

chris jordan
20-Apr-2006, 14:57
David, I shot for many years with a 4x5 Wista SP, and it performed incredibly well. It is a metal camera with really nice smooth movements-- it feels like a monorail camera in that respect, but folds into its own bomproof shell. I used only a 210mm lens for all the years I used it. I still have it here, and would offer to sell it to you, but I may find a use for it again someday. One thing the SP has that is great is a very fine micro-swing adjustment. The tilt is not geared, so you have to release, adjust, tighten, release, etc., but for the price difference between the SP and the Technika you can buy a nice car to carry the SP around in.

Cheers from Seattle,

~cj

David R Munson
20-Apr-2006, 15:43
Sometimes I forget just how active this forum can be! Wasn't expecting to get this many responses while I was at the park! To address some points that have been brought up:

The Canham DLC would, I think, be just about perfect for me, but alas doesn't fit the budget requirement of costing what I can sell the Kardan for and, unless someone here wants to prove me wrong with an offer (hint hint :P), probably isn't going to be available for an even trade, either.

The camera would be used primarily for landscape, found urban images, and portraiture. I kept the monorail this long in part because I wanted to be safe in case I got back into doing architectural stuff, but at this point it doesn't look like that's going to happen. If I were to get a second lens for the 4x5, it would probably be in the 120-135mm range, but again, that's probably not happening any time soon.

I used to shoot with a Deardoff 8x10, and liked the layout and movements on it. I've been less fond of the Toyo cameras I've used, both monorail and field. Indifferent about Sinars, really. Only briefly handled a Wisner, but it seemed to have potential. Same with Wista field cameras.

I'm pretty used to cycling with a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 strapped to my bag, but cringe at the thought of trying the same with my 3036. While the 3221 will support the monorail OK, the camera itself makes riding with this setup rather uncomfortable (imagine multiple metal bits digging into your back).

I should clarify about movements and the feel of the Kardan. The movements I most need are front tilt and swing, followed by rise and lateral shift. Rear movements see minimal use at this stage. When I refer to the feel of the Kardan, it's mainly the feeling of smooth movements and precision (ie I can lock them down where I put them and they don't go wandering off on their own). Geared movements aren't really necessary.

Thanks again for all the quick responses!

CXC
20-Apr-2006, 16:38
Toho is another field monorail to consider.

Since you liked the 8x10 Deardorff, you might take a look on eBay where 4x5 Deardorffs show up regularly. And, I believe the Wista wooden cameras are similar to the Deardorff -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can find a flatbed that will fold up with your lens mounted, setup will be very easy.

I worked my way through 4 4x5 monorails and one wooden flatbed before finding my Walker, which I can confirm is pretty solid and metal-like. It's the last 4x5 I'll ever acquire.

Beware the difference between perceived precision and actual precision. Just because a camera wobbles during setup/movements/focus, doesn't mean it isn't sufficiently still at shot time. You can get used to the floppiness, once you have seen some good results. Of course, handling finely machined metal tools is a joy in itself that you may not wish to give up -- just remember that you can take pretty much the same picture with a wooden camera. Except in heavy wind.

If you crave precision but are indifferent to Sinar P/2's, I'm not sure what you mean by precision.

Scott Knowles
20-Apr-2006, 16:55
I don't know your budget, and since we're suggesting camera, I'll add my $.02 for the
Layton L-45A (http://www.laytoncamera.com/)
camera. It's not produced yet, with a production date not set either, but the prototype was well received (do a google search or the links on the Layton Web page) and a model should be at the June show. Otherwise, you have a lot of brands and models to look at.

Steve Hamley
20-Apr-2006, 17:08
Ebony RW45. Probably the most well balanced field camera out there, and unlike the pricier models, won't break the bank. Call Jim at Midwest and see if you can get the next demos he gets in.

Steve

Capocheny
20-Apr-2006, 17:16
David,

I'd second the Technikardan... nice little camera that offers lots of possibilities! And, fairly compact at that.

Othewise, a Deardorff Special (4x5 and 5x7 backs) or an Ebony would be the other routes I'd recommend. The Dorff Specials are showing up on e**y at pretty rediculously low prices. I believe there's one up for sale on APUG at the moment (but with only the 5x7 back.)

Can't speak for the Canham but it also looks like a really decent camera.

Good luck on making a tough decision.

Cheers

Ted Harris
20-Apr-2006, 17:50
David, call Jim at Midwest. Bi Kardan's are fairly popular and if he has a used DLC I suspect it can be yours for around 600 out of pocket.

Frank Petronio
20-Apr-2006, 18:03
After using the Bi, you should probably just stick with a Technika IV. Nothing else in that size or price range will be as solid, and the couple extra pounds of beef on the Technika hardly matter. Sure, the Technika has compromises -- but so do the other cameras mentioned -- but at least the Technika is simple and solid.

Oren Grad
20-Apr-2006, 18:18
Perhaps what you want is another good monorail, just a lot lighter. You might call MPX or Badger and ask whether a used ARCA-SWISS Discovery ever happens by. Badger sells new ones for $1495, complete with matching case.

John O'Connell
20-Apr-2006, 19:01
I'd forget about the big tripod when cycling unless you have a really long rear rack or a trailer. I cycle with the 3236 using a trailer---carrying that thing on my back while climbing hills would be a big no-go. The 6-8 pound cameras work fine on smaller, slingable tripods.

The camera recommendations are getting way crazy. Nothing in the field camera realm is going to be like your Bi-Kardan: swap it for a Tech IV and enjoy the extension and the metal construction.

Lee Hamiel
20-Apr-2006, 19:06
David:

Great question

As a former Bi-Kardan owner - two of them actually - I understand your quandry of trying to have the best of both worlds.

With that said - I currently have a Wisner 4x5 Tech Field - Relatively happy with it but it's not the same as the Linhof - Kind of like after using Leica for a while & using something else - just doesn't feel quite the same.

Like you - I have considered Ebony but it's out of my price range for now - I picked up a Szabad 4x5 recently that I'm in the process of restoring & I will say that although it's not light it feels like it may be what I'm after - the machining is great & it's got a feel that reminds me of the Bi-Kardan down to the release levers, etc. . It also has some nice features that I've not seen before such as a sliding tripod mount for the correct center of balance depending on the lens being used - nice touch. Not many of them out there but at this point it's my suggestion given your question.

My intention is to sell the Wisner once done.

I will say that in hindsight that the Linhof Bi-Kardan can be easily knocked down for field use & you may want to keep it in the event you are unhappy with any future choices.

Good Luck

Jim Noel
20-Apr-2006, 19:29
Probably the most adaptable field camera witha bellows long enough to do some closeups, and fit in a tight budget is Shen-Hao. It has full movements inthe front and more than most field cameras in the back, including rear rise.

They are listed by Badger Graphics sales and, I think, Adorama. Price -$695.

Severl of my students have bought them and love them..
Jim

Joe Forks
20-Apr-2006, 19:54
Finding the perfect field 4x5 for myself has been ... well, an adventure. I'm about a year into it and I'm sitting here with three 4x5's and I still can't decide which one I will keep (all three maybe?).

I've got a Wista Technical (VX I think) that's been around the world twice (so it looks). It's a little on the heavy side but right now it's edging out my other two as my favorite. Nice and solid, did someone say Bullet proof?

Next is a Mint Toyo CF. Man this thing is light, and that's a real plus. It makes great transparencies and so far I've not been limited by the limited movements. Front rise is fiddly and sometimes it gets out of square, I don't like that - advantage Wista but still can't bring myself to sell the Toyo - yet.

Lastly is a Mint Zone VI by Zone VI, with the big knobs, long bellows - no real complaints here except it's too pretty to go beat up in the field. Advantage Wista again ;)

I really don't know yet what I'll do, but I'm leaning on keeping the Wista - though if $$ money permits I may keep all three.

I told you it's not easy.

Best
Joe

e
20-Apr-2006, 21:43
Have you thought about the Arca Swiss Misura 4x5? Orbix on the front and only rear rise and shift. Simple and lightweight/portable. An 8x10 model is due out soon as well. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

Scott Fleming
21-Apr-2006, 00:10
My field camera IS a monorail. The rail telescopes down to about 5 1/2 inches and remains attached to the carriers when stored. It weighs 6 pounds. I can use a 58mm lens on a flat board. It has all geared and quite precise movements. It fits in an average photo backpack along with three lenses and the usual accessories. Has a rotating back. Can be had for about $2k in mint condition. Toyo VX 125

No axis tilt. Just base tilts which is the only thing I'd wish for. Since I got this camera I have lost all desire for any other 4 x 5. I would not trade it for an Arca Swiss with orbix.

David Martin
21-Apr-2006, 03:27
>I'm pretty used to cycling with a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 strapped to my bag, but cringe at the thought of trying the same with my 3036. While the 3221 will support the monorail OK, the camera itself makes riding with this setup rather uncomfortable (imagine multiple metal bits digging into your back).

>

If you want to carry any sort of weight, put it on the bike, not on you. I'd invest in a decent rack and strap the tripod to that. Pannier bags for the light stuff (cloths, film, filters), and just put the really vibration sensitive stuff (lenses mostly) on your back. Even so these should be OK well packaged in panniers, especially on tarmac. Softish tyre pressures also help minimise vibration, but putting the weight on the bike is a big plus.

..d.

David R Munson
21-Apr-2006, 09:41
Thanks for all thenew responses everyone!

David - one of these days I'll have a bike built up specifically for hauling cargo around, photo stuff included. For the time being, though, everything stays on my back as I ride a track bike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidrmunson/sets/72057594089990040/) and it's just too pretty to put racks on! :P You are quite right about it being more practical to have most of the stuff on the bike itself - it just isn't going to work out like that at the moment.

CXC
21-Apr-2006, 10:59
I strap a Gitzo 1228 on the back of my f.64 backpack and ride my track bike around SF. I think if you can strap it on good enough so it doesn't move around while you walk, it should be fine on the bike. Unless it hangs a foot or more below the bottom of the pack. Like you, I would never dream of cluttering up the bike's classic simplicity with useless accessories like racks or brakes or water bottles.

Scott Atkinson
21-Apr-2006, 12:32
I still think the Technika would be a good choice, and the key here is David's exclusive use of a 210mm lens. For me, where the Technika gets goofy is on the short and long ends--that design seems to be made with a middle-of-the-road 210mm in mind. In fact, if you swapped your current 210mm (which I assume is one of the f5.6 designs) for a Nikkor 200mm, you could carry the lens folded inside the camera.

The only Technika caution: if you use a lot of back movements, you may not like the free-floating back adjusment screws. Check one out first!

John O'Connell
21-Apr-2006, 12:41
How did I know that Dave was hanging a tripod on his back because he was riding a brakeless fixie.

Let me revise my camera suggestion: beater Crown Graphic. And add the cheapest coated 210 you can to finish the outfit. There is no way I would ride brakeless with my LF gear strapped to my back, unless I didn't mind sweeping the pieces off the road. But maybe I'm just too fond of my 800T . . .

Note that I, too, ride fixed. But there's no way I'd haul my stuff around on that bike, especially without a way to perform a real emergency stop.