PDA

View Full Version : New R2400...

Paul Coppin
19-Apr-2006, 18:48
Ok, Friday I pick up a new R2400. Been through the search function and am now more confused. What's the fastpath to success with this printer (colour and B/W)...

Drivers?

Inks other than K3?

Crane museo silver rag apparently, but the best most of my local suppliers can offer is Ilford Galerie for everyday stuff - choices there? Anything with Epson's name on it any good? I've had good success with Kodak's Ultima for colour on dye printers, don't know about pigments...

Really don't want to spend the rest of this year's allowance re-inventing the wheel...

Some collected wisdom...?

Paul

Gary Samson
19-Apr-2006, 19:30
Paul,
Stay with the K3 inks and start with the Matte black ink instead of the photo black ink if you prefer a matte surface. I would suggest the Epson Enhanced Matte paper to get started since it is priced modestly ($15 for 50 sheets) and when you are ready to make an important print I would use Epson Velvet Fine Art. The profiles available from Epson are quite good and you will have predictable and pleasing results using Epson's profiles and papers. For black and white prints, the advanced B&W mode works well. I have this printer and really love the excellent quailty of images it produces. God luck.

Ted Harris
19-Apr-2006, 19:34
OTOH you can use eitehr Ilford Gallerie Pearl or Epson Premium Luster with the photoblack ink and you will, with practice, get some nice prints in both color and black and white. Not necessarily what you will eventually want for final prints but decent paper and goo dfor learning. I use the Pearl for 'first proofs to look at a base print.

Brian Ellis
20-Apr-2006, 00:21
You might post these questions on and search the archives of the Yahoo digitalblackandwhite:the print group. There are always lots of questions and answers there about the R2400.

Doug Dolde
20-Apr-2006, 17:16
Just get some Ultra Smooth Fine Art by Epson, start printing, quit worryin.

www.painted-with-light.com (http://www.painted-with-light.com)