PDA

View Full Version : Why no 'Like' button on threads

ASA1000
6-Dec-2022, 09:45
Is there a reason I can't just 'like' a comment? where's that button?

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2022, 10:20
It would require a custom mod to our vBulletin 4 software, and at this point we are not willing to do that for anything that's not essential to keep the Forum running.

Bernice Loui
6-Dec-2022, 13:03
"Like" buttons ala FarceBook are used to collect personal data. This data is then applied to create a targeted advertisement data base for the "Like" button clicker..

So now ya know,
Bernice

jnantz
6-Dec-2022, 13:05
"Like" buttons ala FarceBook are used to collect personal data. This data is then applied to create a targeted advertisement data base for the "Like" button clicker..

So now ya know,
Bernice

Bernice
if there were a "like" or "dislike" button here it would not be used to collect personal data it would just be used to show someone liked or disliked a post or image on one of the image sharing pages.
not every like or dislike button has a nefarious objective.

Tin Can
6-Dec-2022, 13:06
Many of us stay away form Fakebook and despise the fool

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2022, 13:18
if there were a "like" or "dislike" button here it would not be used to collect personal data it would just be used to show someone liked or disliked a post or image on one of the image sharing pages.

That's right.

Bernice Loui
6-Dec-2022, 13:24
LFF is not FarceBook... personal data collection IS profitable for things like.. FarceBook..

Place and intent applies here,

Bernice

Bernice
not every like or dislike button has a nefarious objective.

jnantz
6-Dec-2022, 15:42
I realize that, but having a like button on this website has nothing to do with a like button on Facebook or other entities on the internet, I never understand why anyone would draw that parallel because they have nothing to do with one another .

Tin Can
6-Dec-2022, 16:54
I do not want encourage mr rate the women

That is how he started

i hate him

Willie
6-Dec-2022, 16:55
If you like somehing post and say so. Same with not liking it - but be a bit smarter and say why.

Peter Lewin
7-Dec-2022, 07:39
Personally I would use a “like” button on the image threads. Often I see an image which I think is striking, but I neither want to clutter an image thread with text posts saying so, nor do I want to essentially add a critique unless the poster has asked for one. A button would avoid those issues. But I also understand Oren’s point that we don’t need custom modifications to the software supporting the site.

ASA1000
7-Dec-2022, 08:13
many of us stay away form fakebook and despise the fool

like !

ASA1000
7-Dec-2022, 08:15
Personally I would use a “like” button on the image threads. Often I see an image which I think is striking, but I neither want to clutter an image thread with text posts saying so, nor do I want to essentially add a critique unless the poster has asked for one. A button would avoid those issues. But I also understand Oren’s point that we don’t need custom modifications to the software supporting the site.

That's my thinking... for images... and with a 'Dislike' button too! If I dont like your 'words', and it's worth the time, rest assured, I'll tell you.

ic-racer
7-Dec-2022, 09:28
I asked the same question on PhotoTrio a few years ago and got flamed. Maybe a "Dislike" button would have been better suited to that forum....

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/where-is-the-like-button.181045/

Vaughn
7-Dec-2022, 10:15
I would not like a thumbs up option without a thumbs down option, but prefer to have neither.

Chuck Pere
7-Dec-2022, 13:34
You don't really need a dislike button. A lack of likes will tell you the same thing in a gentler way. If you have 50 views and no likes you know that your image and the viewers aren't connecting.

Tin Can
7-Dec-2022, 13:43
We could just use L

and NL

NL takes more work

All I know, WE are dwindling

SAD