PDA

View Full Version : where to buy a used 8x10 field camera

jonathan smith
17-Apr-2006, 09:56
I'm having a hard time finding many used 8x10s on the internet. Does anybody out there know of a good source for this, or, can anybody recommend a less expensive new 8x10 field that is solid in construction? Why are these cameras hard to come by? Were they made in small numbers? I don't need an ultra-lightweight camera or anything fancy. Thanks- Jon

steve simmons
17-Apr-2006, 10:12
You can check places like Mid-West Photo, Lens and Repro, Quality Camera, etc.

There will be a free large format trade show in Rockford, IL June 9-11. There should be a lot of cameras there. Call the Best Western Clocktower Resort at 815-398-6000. Rockford is about an hour west of Chicago

steve simmons

Donald Brewster
17-Apr-2006, 10:17
If you are in the US, try Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus, OH. Quality Camera, Badger Graphic, Rod Klukas at Photomark, and Fred Newman at the View Camera Store are also good places to look. Many of the used LF dealers have many more cameras than are listed on their website because of quick turnover. Most of these places will be quite good about helping you decide what camera would best suit your needs, new or used. In answering your question specifically, an 8x10 Tachihara might fit your needs (depending on your definition of solid). They are carried at Midwest and Badger Graphic, and likely the others mentioned as well.

Ed Richards
17-Apr-2006, 10:29
www.keh.com

lee\c
17-Apr-2006, 10:46
I have a camera for sale in the apug.org classifieds.

leec

Oren Grad
17-Apr-2006, 10:53
Not sure what you mean by "on the internet", but there's a steady stream of 8x10s on eBay.

Ken Lee
17-Apr-2006, 11:14
Were they made in small numbers?

Many of the same people that made or make 4x5 cameras, made or make them in 8x10.

So if you find a 4x5 that you admire, chances are good that you can find an 8x10 equivalent, with similar features, mode of operation, as well as fit and finish.

Brian Ellis
17-Apr-2006, 12:20
What exactly are you looking for in an 8x10 camera? When I went on ebay under Large Format and searched for "8x10" there were 13 cameras on the first page alone. That's considerably more than any one dealer is likely to have.

steve simmons
17-Apr-2006, 13:07
If you are an experienced lf user then perhaps buying on E-Bay may have some advantages. However, if not and you are unsure what to look for dealing with a repoutable dealer may have some advantages. With a good dealer you can either exchange or get a refund if you do not get what you want. This may be more difficult on E Bay.

What lf expereince do you have. Have you used a 4x5 before? If so to shoot what subject?. What lenses did you use?

steve simmons

Bruce Wehman
17-Apr-2006, 13:25
Ditto to Steve’s remarks with respect to the Large Format Conference in Rockford. I will be sharing a booth there with Reis Tripods and will have some Wehman Field Cameras there to display. I do have a demo camera that you can contact me about off line if you are interested.

Bruce Wehman

Tim Hyde
17-Apr-2006, 19:07
In addition to Midwest Photo (http://mpex.com/) and Badger Graphics (http://mpex.com/), who are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, I've bought two view cameras from Bruce Cahn at Bruces Field Camera Store (http://stores.ebay.com/BRUCES-FIELD-CAMERA-STORE). You certainly won't go wrong in terms of price or quality at any of these three. I believe Bruce is the sole US distributor of Lotus, which makes him a BMOC in my eyes.

neil poulsen
20-Apr-2006, 02:23
The following are three 8x10's that can often be found for reasonable prices:

Kodak 2D. (But, doesn't have front tilt or swing and limited to 2-3 inches of rise.)

Agfa 8x10. (Decent bellows extension, many with front tilt and rear swing and tilt.)

Burke and James. (Has just about everything, rise, tilt, and swing on both front and rear.)

In looking for an old 8x10, you want to make sure the bellows is in good shape. They're $200 to $400 to install a new one. You can live with a scratched up camera, but not with a bellows that has lotsa light leaks.