PDA

View Full Version : Stability of Sinar P 8x10 Outdoors

Ralf-Finn Hestoft
17-Apr-2006, 07:43
I have a Sinar P 8x10 camera sitting around my studio and am thinking of trying to use it outside as sort of a large field camera ( I have a digital shutter and a few DB lenses). However, my biggest worry is that, due to its rail design, that it will not be stable enough in the wind and will lead to unsharpness due to camera movement. Does/has anyone used Sinars outdoors with success? Any tips other than a sturdy tripod?

Also, if the Sinar is problematic, is there any way to still use the digital shutter and DB lenses with a more sturdy field camera?

Thanks,

Ralf-Finn Hestoft
www.hestoft.com

Frank Petronio
17-Apr-2006, 08:02
It probably needs a heavy tripod like a Gitzo 5-series, but there is less "lift" to a monorail than a flatbed field camera. If wind is a problem you can always create a wind screen.

Even Fred Picker used a Sinar for 8x10 work, while he was selling little wooden 4x5s.

Most of the big time car photographers used monorail 8x10s and heavy tripods for their shoots. If you can move it all it should be more stable than other field outfits.

bill_1041
17-Apr-2006, 08:14
I'll chime in with Frank - the P is very stable. I've hauled mine around ourdoors (and "haul" is the operative word) and never worried about it's ability to handle the elements. I've questioned my sanity, but never the camera.

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
17-Apr-2006, 10:29
The Sinar P or P2 10X8 stands alone for stablility. Weight and stability coexist very well as far as I am concerned.

In very windy conditions a small sand bag between the tripod legs with a line attached to the bag on the ground to a hook or other device under the tripod platform.

Worked very well in a gusting force six in the Cuillin Hills Isles of Skye UK last year - no problem!

clemenstriest
17-Apr-2006, 12:46
I use but sinar-p2's. Stability is not an issue - but weight and - wind! If it is too stormy, I have problems with LF, and then I wait, if possible.

Inside factories with a vibrating ground I use to be very carefully - just spoiled a lot of negatives in a place where they produce the "wind" for furnaces.

But these problems are general for all cameras, even small ones.

Johnny Eng
17-Apr-2006, 18:54
I had been using Sinar P 8x10 outdoor for years. I put it on Two heavy tripods whenever I use lens over 450mm. If I need to use the Sinar copal shutter, two tripods are needed no matter which lens is used. This setup is heavy but the result is sharp image on films even for long exposure time, such as 10 minutes.