PDA

View Full Version : epson ultrasmooth fine art paper profile

adrian tyler
16-Apr-2006, 10:08
hello, is there anyone using this paper who can recommend a profile for the 9800?

thanks

chris jordan
16-Apr-2006, 11:03
Dude, ditch the Ultrasmooth and get your hands on a roll of the new Crane Museo Silver Rag. If you can't find it anywhere, I'll bring a roll when I come to Madrid in June. It's incredible-- all the color and phat blacks of Premium Glossy, but on a heavy rag paper with a beautiful silky surface. It's only drawback is that it is fairly warm toned. I've heard there's a paper coming out by Hannemule (or however you spell it) that is the same as the Crane but brighter white. I'm switching to these papers for all purposes--in my mind they are clearly the next evolution of inkjet papers.

Cheers from Seattle,

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

julian_4860
16-Apr-2006, 11:23
onlinepaper.co.uk have it Adrian. They give good service. They´ve got rolls in stock now

Sara P
16-Apr-2006, 12:29
Chris..
Any idea how the Crane Museo Silver Rag would perform with an Epson 2200, or an R2400? I'm always on the hunt for better paper...
Thanks,

sara p. (psquaredstudio.com)

adrian tyler
16-Apr-2006, 12:59
in my mind they are clearly the next evolution of inkjet papers

i feel the same way, 100% cotton rag as a support for pigment. it's got to the stage of being a dream come true. i feel a lot more confident about clients paying for one of these than c-type prints now.

one thing though, the ultrasmooth is 100% cotton, great conservation characteristics and the ink sticks to it like s**t on a blanket, i've made some really impressive proofs, what's the down side?

ade

Eric Fredine
16-Apr-2006, 22:35
I've had a lot of problems with Ultrasmooth flaking. I think this is probably because I live in a climate with very low humidity - which I think this paper doesn't like.

chris jordan
17-Apr-2006, 16:24
Ade, the downside is, when you see your prints on the new papers, you'll realize they looked terrible on Ultrasmooth. I've seen your gorgeous Lightjet prints on glossy paper-- the image on the Crane paper will look like THAT, except with the perfect satin surface and on nice fat watercolor paper. I'll bring you a roll in June, eh?

I'm having trouble finding the right settings for my printer too-- platen gap and all that, so if anyone finds good settings published anywhere, please let us know.

Cheers,

~cj

julian_4860
18-Apr-2006, 10:36
Chris
John Brownlow published these settings in an earlier post...

Paper Feed Adjustment: -20 (default is 0)

Paper Thickness: 5 (default is 2)

Platen Gap: Wide (default is 'Standard')

tim atherton
18-Apr-2006, 23:18
sara, not so good on the 2200 - especially for b&w.

great on the 2400

adrian tyler
18-Apr-2006, 23:41
ok, i hear you! i looking forward to trying it. since i ditched the lightjet i've been sold on rag support and i'm almost there on hahnemühle, when i put them up vertical behind glass they are really on the money...

see ya soon and thanks

ade

Paul Coppin
19-Apr-2006, 18:40
Tim - do you have a Canadian supplier for museo silver rag for the R2400, or do you have to bring it up from the states? Certainly, its not a stock item in southern Ont.

tim atherton
19-Apr-2006, 19:16
I think john said vistek was going to stock it, but I get mine from www.shadesofpaper.com - they are a good one man outfit

almost everywhere is waiting for sheets - most have rolls in. I think Crane has been snowed under with demand for the rolls