PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating a Grafmatic

Frank Petronio
15-Apr-2006, 19:39
Now that I'm into Grafmatics I've acquired several off eBay. Two have pretty stiff darkslides, as well as their main chambers also sliding stiffly.

Should I try rubbing some beeswax on the edges or ?

Thanks

David A. Goldfarb
15-Apr-2006, 19:44
Possibly, but first make sure they're clean and the septums are straight and pointing the right way with the notch away from the darkslide slot. They shouldn't require lubrication, and if it's just a matter of there being gunk in them, waxing will make things worse.

Kevin Crisp
15-Apr-2006, 20:09
Frank: My experience has been that they work well and smoothly only when used horizontally and not leaned excessively forward or back. Sometimes when you buy one and are just cycling through things to see if it works, you aren't holding it in that right position. (Or at least not in a position which corresponds to actualy use.) This might be part of the problem. I've never had to lubricate one but if I did I'd stick with something really light like Pledge.

Glenn Thoreson
15-Apr-2006, 20:50
Two sources for info - graflex.org and southbristolviews.com (scroll down menue on the left). I may have the factory instructions for cleaning and lubing them, too, IF I can find it. They do need occasional service.

John Brownlow
15-Apr-2006, 21:13
Check the edges of the septums for any kinks or bends and straighten them out, especially right at the end where the film slips in.

I think the official way of lubricating them was a little bit of wax but I have never had to do it. I have a stock of spare septums (you can sometimes pick them up on eBay or in out-of-the-way camera stores) which I swap for any bad ones. Sometimes you find that just swapping them to a different holder solves the problem.

Peter Lewitt
15-Apr-2006, 21:29
Frank

The service manual says paraffin for the edges of both the drawer and the dark slide. Rub it in and blow away any extra. They recommend Neolube, a dry film graphite lubricant, for the dark slide channels. I'd go with teflon; the manual is from 1964.

I have a lot of these, and the action ranges from silky to grinding (with metal particles). Paraffin has not helped the bad ones, but it definitely improves those that are merely stiff.

The actual operating instructions are posted on graflex.org. Most important - the sliding bar that activates the counter must be pushed in before loading the septums. Bad things happen otherwise. Take my word for it.

One other thing to watch for is film sliding in the septums. The little fingers at the closed ends of the channels can get bent up with use. The result is a heavy clear film edge on the notch end, effectively an off center image which can skew your cropping choices. Bending down the fingers without distorting the septum is delicate, but doable.

Have fun.

Dave Henry
16-Apr-2006, 00:34
Hi Frank, I have a dozen of them and really enjoy having six frames available in one holder. I regularly lubricate the dark slide channels and both outside edges of the septum tray (with the long groove) with Pledge furniture polish. The Silicone really does the trick and keeps everything cycling smoothly. These holders should be smooth regardless of angle used. I have found over the years that sellers exagerate the functionality of their Grafmatic being sold.

The most important question to ask is whether or not both springs are present in the septum tray with the septums removed. I always ask for a photo so I can see for myself. If the seller refuses I know one of the springs are missing. These two springs are crucial for the septums to cycle forward and smoothly. The springs are impossible to repair.

I also leave the counter wheel intact as I make a lot of notes about each frame and they are easier to track with the frame number on the film.

Good luck with them, Dave

wfwhitaker
16-Apr-2006, 17:28
Elmer's Slide-All is microscopically fine Teflon in an aerosol base. The propellant base dries leaving behind a thin layer of Teflon. I've had great success using this on Grafmatic holders, first cleaning the holder to remove dirt or old lubricant then judiciously applying the Slide-All to metal-to-metal contact areas. I was careful to wipe away overspray. When reassembled, it was amazing how well the Grafmatic worked.