PDA

View Full Version : Milky Way photography

PatrickMarq
29-Oct-2022, 08:55
All,

I’m leaving tomorrow to Tenerif and just read that you can take great pictures of the milky way there, but i have not any experience with this type of photography.

I have some Porta 400 and the Fuji GWIII69 a tripod, is this possible, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick

Lachlan 717
29-Oct-2022, 12:45
Without a tracker? Pointless.

Tin Can
29-Oct-2022, 14:14
https://garyseronik.com/build-a-hinge-tracker-for-astrophotography/

Greg
29-Oct-2022, 14:21
Without a tracker? Pointless.

Attached image done years ago by my son without using a tracker. Original image file looks 500% better. Yes there is a little bit of movement over the tree tops in the horizon, but I bet you that 99.9% of people viewing the image don't see it or don't mind it.

LabRat
29-Oct-2022, 19:14
In the northern hemisphere USA, Milky Way is overhead in the early summer but visible some months before/after, so time of year matters...

Better check a star chart for the best season to view at your destination...

Steve K

ic-racer
30-Oct-2022, 06:54
Attached image done years ago by my son without using a tracker. Original image file looks 500% better. Yes there is a little bit of movement over the tree tops in the horizon, but I bet you that 99.9% of people viewing the image don't see it or don't mind it.

Looks great, do you know the exposure time? Less than a minute?

Greg
30-Oct-2022, 08:41
Looks great, do you know the exposure time? Less than a minute?

I only remember the camera being set on "B". My guess is probably one to two minutes.