PDA

View Full Version : Re: Gaoersi 6x17 Panoramic Camera

Geoff Graham
13-Apr-2006, 13:18
I just recently bought the Gaoersi 6x17 Pano, nice design the only thing wrong with the camera is the lens mount. This is like a chinese puzzel trying to mount a Schneider 90 XL to it was frustrating. I tried comunicating with the seller telling them that this was a bad design getting no reply I decieded to send it to SKG Grimes they milled an adapter with a Schneider helical 90mm mount with depth of field scale
for $ 750.00 what a professional job they did. If any body buys this camera Gaoersi 6x17 I would not hesitate to have this done you will have a prime pano system.

Geoff Graham

Greg Miller
13-Apr-2006, 13:54
$750.00? Ouch!

GPS
13-Apr-2006, 13:59
Can you be more specific about the problem?

Geoff Graham
13-Apr-2006, 14:09
The problem with the lens mount was badly constructed, when I mounted the lens and tried to calibrate it to infinity the whole mount and lens would turn with no minimum or maximum end stops. At one point the whole thing came apart in my hands and I could not get the thing back together. I was not prepared to have my Schneider 90mm XL on the floor very priceless piece of glass. I could not get a response from the seller.

Geoff Graham

GPS
13-Apr-2006, 14:20
It is always difficult to put it back when a helicoid gets out of the thread as there are more pieces. I suppose that there is a part missing in your helicoid, maybe a screw. From what it was said in the other thread you should be ready to show some perseverance in the communication with them It could pay.

Geoff Graham
13-Apr-2006, 14:26
Here is a link about the problem.
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/cameras/Gaoersi/Page%204.htm

I would think that when I buy a camera and lens that the lens should be already calibrated and everthing should be working.

Geoff Graham

GPS
13-Apr-2006, 14:34
That's exactly what I thought. The screws he writes about can be missing or you need to work with them. Sure it should be ready to shoot but there is a different world. Try to write to Vincent, he seems to have some understanding about it. Good luck!

Geoff Graham
13-Apr-2006, 14:39
Thanks for your comments, I know its not aperfect world.

I just got my film back from the lab and they are as sharp as my Bowie Knife.

Geoff Graham

Darcy
13-Apr-2006, 17:52
Be sure to sign up at this forum:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/6x17/

Doug Dolde
16-Apr-2006, 23:46
Sounds like a deal killer to me. I'd have shit canned the damn thing. I have no tolerance for crappy equipment.

Jerry Fusselman
17-Apr-2006, 01:33
About six months ago, a factory focusing mount for my Ago Grandagon 55mm lens fell apart in my hands while I was trying to get it to work properly---for the focusing action was stiff after a fall. I see no reason to throw a temper tantrum and claim that equipment is crappy and worthless when something goes wrong, even if I am 0% at fault. Besides, I don't know where I would find equipment that never fails. Even my Linhof 612 film holder failed me recently---the film winder apparently won't engage and wind the film when we have been outside for an hour or two near zero degrees Fahrenheit.

Darryl Baird
19-May-2006, 07:15
Late as usual, but I think for the price and build quality there isn't a better entry into the 6x17 market than the Gaoersi. I bought one and read Murray Foote's tutorial and was up and running with a 90mm Nikkor f/8 in about an hour. Still shooting the beast after about two months and only see the wear from the dark slide.

I really like the film rewind feature too, it has allowed me to backup and shoot when I forget to remove the slide.

My cost so far:
Gaoersi w/90mm focus mount and 90mm finder - $968 w/shipping
Nikkor lens (ebay) - $350.00
Heliopan center filter - $235.00 (not an absolute need)
Rubber lens hood - $25.00
Camera (Tenba) bag - $20.00
Total - $1,598

You can buy a Fotoman body for the same amount. I'm happy.

a few samples:
http://www.darrylbaird.com/Gaoersi/Flint/Part2