PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: correct lubrication on Copal 3 shutter, LF lens threads

mpkutz
25-Oct-2022, 14:12
General question. Found a Nikkor W 300mm f/5.6 at a local camera shop. The glass is perfect, the shutter was noted to intermittently lag at 1/8 and slower. When I took it apart to inspect the interior surfaces I noticed that all threaded surfaces have grease on them. In all my 1 year of large format experience :D , I’ve never seen this before on a large format lens. Is this common and appropriate or inappropriate? Which is really a lead up to the real question: on the locking ring there are two little bands of pink something. Is this the factory standard? If someone overlubed the threads, might they have also overlubed the shutter? Apologies if this is my first time seeing a normally lubed shutter. Thanks in advance for the help.

RandyB
25-Oct-2022, 17:47
The pink stuff looks like thread lock, rare on LF shutters but sometimes applied to keep things from becoming loose. In picture #2, is the rear component still attached to the shutter and if it is, is there something on the lens surface, liquid, oil ? There should not be any "lubing of the shutter", a professional CLA should restore the speeds. It looks like a very high quality lens, you should give it high quality service.

mpkutz
26-Oct-2022, 14:18
Thanks. Possibly thread lock, but I will probably take the retaining ring off and see what has been done internally if anything. I read through the Copal service manual, so I have an idea of what I'm getting into to. The second picture has the shutter only, with both elements removed. Just the reflection of the polyurethane finish on the table.