PDA

View Full Version : Selection of 8x10 camera

Johnny Eng
13-Apr-2006, 02:58
I want to buy a 8x10 foldable camera (not mono rail type). All my lenses are mounted in Sinar lens broad. Do you suggest 8x10 cameras which accept Sinar lens broad?

Marco Frigerio
13-Apr-2006, 03:12
Canham is the first name that comes to mind, their 8x10", both the woodden than the metal ones, accept Sinar lensboards...

Ciao

Marco

Amund BLix Aaeng
13-Apr-2006, 03:22
Don`t let the lensboards decide what camera to get, choose the camera that suits your needs.

Steve Hamley
13-Apr-2006, 03:47
Ebony.

Steve

Ken Lee
13-Apr-2006, 07:27
As Amund has pointed out, the lens board should be your last concern. There are many other issues which should be given higher priority.

If you have 2 cameras with different boards, you can always get an adaptor, or have one made.

Kevin Crisp
13-Apr-2006, 07:42
This seems kind of like selecting a vehicle based on tire size, but the Canham JMC is a lightweight folding 8X10 which uses Sinar/Horeseman boards.

Walt Calahan
13-Apr-2006, 08:09
Who are we to suggest anything?

We can tell you of our experience with different cameras, but ultimately you need to do the heavy lifting and test different cameras to see what meets your style of working.

You may hate my camera. Your budget might not afford an expensive machine. You might have special working needs such as long bellows or rear rise and fall, etc.

But I agree with those who say basing a camera on a lens board is backwards.

paul owen
13-Apr-2006, 08:26
What sort of focal length lenses are you planning on using? This may help rule out cameras with long bellows/extension. What type of photography are you planning on doing? Will you be shooting outdoors? This may dictate how far you plan on carrying the equipment and so may help in the choice. One thing I found when I dipped my toe into the world of 10x8 is that if you think lugging 5x4 gear around is a pain - wait till you move up to 10x8!! Not only are cameras bigger and heavier, but so are the lenses. As for the film holders they are ... really heavy! I found that I was limited to the location by the distance from the car. I quickly filled a Lowepro Super Trekker with camera, lenses, cloth, etc, etc and then needed to carry the tripod in one hand as well as (trying) to lug a large cooler bag full of 10x8 film holders - not funny. So I ditched 10x8 and returned to 5x4!

John O'Connell
13-Apr-2006, 08:58
Lensboard size can make a big difference in the larger formats. Many 8x10 wideangles have huge rear elements that won’t fit into cameras that accept small lensboards. Some 8x10 soft focus portrait lenses are huge barrel lenses that require 6” or larger lensboards to mount flanges on. Or maybe Edward just wants to share lenses with a 4x5 Sinar, or he hates adaptors.

Either way, Sinar/Horseman boards are the new standard in 8x10 cameras. All of the new cameras I know of take the Sinar boards in their 8x10 model. I’m sure there’s an oddball out there, but the 140mm size makes a lot of sense for those of us who own a bunch of No. 3 Copals but don’t plan on buying brass Pinkham Smiths.

Bellows extension is usually the killer problem for selecting an 8x10 camera, followed by weight.

tim atherton
13-Apr-2006, 09:15
or technika or small toyo boards on lightweight 8x10's (Gandolfi, Phillips, Canham [I think]) - and some are unique - what board does the Wehman use?

Armin Seeholzer
13-Apr-2006, 09:17
Hi
I like my Burke & James and just got an adapter for all my Sinar lens boards from Adam of SK Grimes!
The Burke is the most underrated camera in my opinion, I show you a picture of it at:
http://portfolio.grossformatfotografie.de/details.php?image_id=1356

Have a good day, Armin Seeholzer

neil poulsen
13-Apr-2006, 10:29
Lensboards don't have to cost a lot of money. I make all of mine. I use hobby plywood to make lensboards for my Kodak D2 8x10, and I found a reduction adaptor lensboard for my 4x5 monorail for which I can make lensboards at about $10 each.

For example, some cameras use Deardorff sized 8x10 boards, which are a little large. But, one can find Deardorff manufactured adaptor boards that will accept 4" or 4.5" lensboards. (I forget which.) The latter are a lot smaller, and they can be easily made from hobby plywood. With the right combination of Minwax stains, one can obtain just about any color needed. Then, coat them with some varnish or something. They look and work great.

I have an old MC bayonet mount lf board that was intended for a camera with about a 4" lensboard opening. I mounted it onto the huge lensboards for my monorail 4x5. The original MC circular boards were too thick and hard to use. (No wonder their product didn't survive. It was a good idea, though.) I have my own lensboards fabricated out of plastic. They're a little thick, so I sand them down a little with a belt sander to get just the right tension. They work great, and changing lenses is quick and easy.

Amund BLix Aaeng
13-Apr-2006, 10:41
Wehman cameras has 5 1/4 lensboards.
And I just noticed that his 2006 model has some improvements.

Now my 2005 model is obsolete and useless, just like a DSLR.... NOT! ;-)

CXC
13-Apr-2006, 12:34
Can't think of a better camera than a Canham, and they do in fact take Sinar boards.

CXC
14-Apr-2006, 12:02
On the other hand, there is a guy on eBay who will make you a custom-sized and drilled wooden lens board for $5. I got one, works fine, not beautiful.

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2006, 12:36
there is a guy on eBay who will make you a custom-sized and drilled wooden lens board for $5

Could you provide either a link or the relevent search critera ?

I would love to get some off-center boards drilled for my Wisner.

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2006, 12:50
Never mind I found him. Thanks for the reference.

See http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-board-custom-sized_W0QQitemZ7609356348QQcategoryZ15248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-board-custom-sized_W0QQitemZ7609356348QQcategoryZ15248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank)