PDA

View Full Version : RH Phillips 8x10 Compact Series I Vs Series II

JayY
15-Oct-2022, 05:13
What is the different between RH Philips 8x10 Compact Series I vs Series II?

Thanks

Steve Sherman
15-Oct-2022, 06:33
What is the different between RH Philips 8x10 Compact Series I vs Series II?

Thanks

Memory tells me the Explorer is a Horizontal format (landscape) only, to conserve on weight

Oren Grad
15-Oct-2022, 07:29
The original Compact is simpler in design. The back is fixed to the base and allows tilt only, no swing. Focus is via knob on the side, which extends the focusing bed and front standard. It came in a natural/"blond" finish.

The back of the Compact II rides on two long, slotted "feet" which allow for greater rear extension and some degree of swing. Fine focus is via a lead screw at the back of the camera, which extends the focusing bed and front standard, after any extension is applied via the "feet". The Compact II gains a bit of size and weight compared to the Compact and came in a black finish.

Both cameras share the characteristic Phillips "floating" front standard that needs to be screwed into any of a series of threaded sockets in the focusing bed as part of unfolding and setting up the camera.

The Explorer is a horizontal-only version of the Compact II.

JayY
15-Oct-2022, 08:07
Very informative. Thanks all

Sal Santamaura
15-Oct-2022, 09:28
These are pictures of the Compact II:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/phillips/

I can't find an image of the earlier 8x10 Phillips, but recall that Drew owns one. Perhaps he can take a cell phone snapshot of it and post that here.

JayY
17-Oct-2022, 03:14
These are pictures of the Compact II:

Thanks for the photos. It really gave me better understanding between the two series.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/phillips/

I can't find an image of the earlier 8x10 Phillips, but recall that Drew owns one. Perhaps he can take a cell phone snapshot of it and post that here.