PDA

View Full Version : New 6x17 camera

paul owen
12-Apr-2006, 04:26
I appreciate that although not true LF many of us use 6x17 so I thought some of you maybe interested in a new 6x17 panoramic camera - especially since the demise of the Fuji 617. It is the Widepan 617 - it is available for sale from Robert White in the UK and comes complete with a 90mm XL 5.6 Schneider Super Angulon lens. It appears from the website (www.widepan.com) that it is well made and maybe a contender to the Fotoman cameras? Specs can also be found at www.robertwhite.co.uk

Roger Hein
12-Apr-2006, 05:00
The Widepan looks like it's a 'fixed' lens camera. The Fotoman can use a wide range of lenses via interchangeable lens cones.

GPS
12-Apr-2006, 05:55
Indeed, more expensive than Fotoman and with the disadvantage of a fixed lens.

John Brownlow
12-Apr-2006, 06:06
They also have specs on the new Horseman 6x17. I talked to them the other day and they expect them in 'any time'.

GPS
12-Apr-2006, 06:08
That only confirms the great future of 120 film and its cameras!

Roger Hein
12-Apr-2006, 10:24
I would expect the 'new' Horseman to be more expensive than the 'Chinese made' counterparts. BTW John, I enjoyed reading your 'tutorial' on scanning colour negs. Thanks for posting!

John Brownlow
12-Apr-2006, 19:58
yes, the Horseman prices are right up there with the Linhof prices. But you only buy it once, I figure.

John Brownlow
12-Apr-2006, 22:17
I agree... I don't think 120 is going away any time soon. We may become restricted in terms of color emulsions but to be honest it is not a huge loss as the ones that survive are likely to be sensational, eg Portra NC -- what an amazing film. I'm terrified that Ilford Pan F will go away... I go through this stuff at a terrifying rate..

paul owen
13-Apr-2006, 01:52
Maybe a bit off thread here, but in reply to John's comments on the future of 120 film. I had an interesting chat with someone who recently attneded the Photographic Trade show in Japan. He was commenting on the fact that the reports/feedback from the show was that many Japanese pro's and serious amateurs have embraced digital technology (obviously) and have shown a renewed interest in LF film/equipment but at the expense of ...MF! Apparently they see the combination of digital/LF as "sensible" whereas the (minimal) increase in quality gained using 120 roll film and MF digital is seen as "pointless". The reasoning is that Canon/Nikon digital systems do their job admirably and still a great many Japanese prefer to use LF for architecture/landscape. However, they see it as pointless carting MF digital systems around - the cost/weight of digital backs for Mamiya etc is seen as not worth the effort for the increase in quality over (say) a Canon digital camera. Could this herald the demise of MF equipment? The off-shoot of any demise here would be a loss of 120 roll film - Probably not ... but at least it gives "hope" to us LF users! The comments of these photographers (interestingly) was that most saw a need for 120 roll film shooting 6x12 and 6x17! Could this be "proof" that all formats can all live happily alongside each other :)

GPS
13-Apr-2006, 02:25
It is clear that 6x9, 6x12, 6x17 and 6x24 formats have better future in front of them than 6x6 or 6x7 format that can be easily replaced by digital systems. On the other hand these larger 120 formats cannot be replaced with the same ease by LF. Thus they have their own niche where they trive. The Chinese 120 cameras are just a begining of this trend.

Darcy
13-Apr-2006, 17:50
Be sure to sign up to the forum at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/6x17/