PDA

View Full Version : Savannah, Georgia in November

Panj
6-Oct-2022, 20:37
Hello,
I am travelling to Savannah Georgia for five days at the end of November an planning to work on some photography while there. While most of the photography I have planned is portrait work, I also would like to get some environmental scenes of the historic district and the river while there. Any suggestions from the community?

j.e.simmons
7-Oct-2022, 04:07
Book a downtown hotel and plan to walk. Parking can be a problem, and, at least a few years ago, parking enforcement was strict. Look at a map and you can see lots of squares. Most have something of interest. The River area is easy to access. Getting to Bonaventure Cemetery or Ft. Pulaski will require a car.

Corran
7-Oct-2022, 08:54
- The Cathedral Basilica of St. John the Baptist
- Colonial Park cemetery
- Forsyth Park (morning)
- River Walk (evening)
- All the Squares (statues, fountains, trees)
- Riverboats and massive shipping container ships on the river
- Historical houses
- Leopold's Ice Cream
- Broughton St. Nightlife
- Telfair Museum, check exhibits
- Top it off with cocktails at Artillery Bar

No car required above. There are free hop-on hop-off busses. If you've got a car add the above mentioned Bonaventure and maybe Tybee Island / Pulaski.

Gary Beasley
7-Oct-2022, 10:37
Theres an older fort to check out as well. Last I was there they had cannon firings regularly.
https://www.chsgeorgia.org/OFJ

Peter De Smidt
7-Oct-2022, 16:31
I've never been, and I'd like to visit. Would I be hassled in most places for using a tripod?

Corran
7-Oct-2022, 16:44
I don't think so, as long as you're not impeding pedestrian traffic. If you come let me know!!

j.e.simmons
7-Oct-2022, 17:16
I’ve never been hassled about anything except parking.

Peter De Smidt
7-Oct-2022, 17:50
Thanks, Guys. Will do, Bryan!

Panj
8-Oct-2022, 19:09
I like these suggestions, especially the idea to top off my day of photography with a cocktail ;)

My idea is to get something of setting to counterpoint the portraiture. I was in Charleston in August and found some hidden corners to photograph as part of my project, but I really had to look and walk (and it being August, it was so dreadful hot that I had a hard time doing that for much time). Savannah appears to be a little better in this regard.