PDA

View Full Version : Making dark slides

Bruce Schultz
10-Apr-2006, 10:58
Anyone have a suggestion for where I could get some material to make my own darkslides? I have a never-used Fidelity holder that was given to me, but it doesn't have any dark slides. I thought I could use some dark slides from some old wooden holders, but I was surprised to learn those slides are too wide and too short.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Apr-2006, 11:09
You can order new ones from B&H.

Bruce Schultz
10-Apr-2006, 11:14
I could, but I'm trying to be a tightwad.

Robert McClure
10-Apr-2006, 11:41
Bruce,

What size holder? If 8x10, what dimension slides.

Walt Calahan
10-Apr-2006, 12:00
Bruce

Replacement 8x10 slides are $20/ new! 5x7 $17/ new. Or, 4x5 $15/ new.

What's your time worth? Or are you retired, looking for a hobby? Grin.

Our you can find some used holders not worth repairing and take the slides from them.

Herbert A Terbrack
10-Apr-2006, 13:05
If you hurry, there are seven old 4x5 film holders on ebay with no current bids and about fifty minutes to go.
This is really the cheapest way to get film holders.
Plus you would have some dark slides to measure for future reference, dimensions of the dark slide.

Steve Feldman
10-Apr-2006, 13:33
Hi - I'd also be interested in a suggestion for dark slide material. I've a few 5x7 holders that are in need.

Thanks.

Harold_4074
10-Apr-2006, 14:30
Getting a factory-made darkslide, new or used, is probably the most reasonable thing to to, but to answer the original question: McMaster-Carr, 85315K131 (black, 1/16 thick, 12x24 inches) or the current equivalent. This is Grade XX Garolite, described as a paper-based phenolic laminate, and appears to be what dark slides were made of before the current thermoplastic versions appeared.

It is not the easiest stuff to work with, since it tends to delaminate at the edges if you use a coarse saw blade, but double-sided tape and piece of backing like masonite or plywood helps. It files and sands beautifully, and a coat of paste floor wax will seal the edges and make the faces slide through the light traps nicely.

Be sure to bevel the edges that cross the light trap, or you will scalp the velvet, leading to light leakage and a plague of tiny, fiber-sized shadows on your film, which are a real nuisance to retouch.

How do I know this? I made a set of slides with holes in them, which when used one after the other let me make a pattern of exposures for crude Zone System testing...if I were desperate to make real dark slides, I would probably look for black polypropylene in the right thickness. Nylon, delrin, or UHMW polyethylene might also work, if they were stiff enough and didn't leak light at any wavelength which would affect the film (particularly important for infrared).

Bruce Schultz
10-Apr-2006, 17:55
Robert McClure,

I need dark slides that are 8.25 inches wides. The bottom edges of the slides I have that fit this holder are slightly curved, so they are 11 and eleven-sixteenths of an inch long on the edge, but only 11 and five-eighths in the middle.

Capocheny
10-Apr-2006, 20:05
Curmudgeon,

If you keep you eye out on e**y there's a felllow who lists piles of 5x7 dark slides every so often... I bought a number of them for just a couple of dollars and they're in great condition.

Here's his e**y info:

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=chatsworth27&iid=7579200593&frm=284

Send him a note... perhaps he has more available.

[BTW, I have no vested interest in this seller's business... I just bought a couple of darkslides from him. :)]

Cheers

mark anderson
10-Apr-2006, 20:52
not sure if this would work but you might want to check into it (coming from another tight wad that dose everything the hard way)

the front color panel of your wifes dishwasher might have a sutible material. they come with four or five diferant color panel that can eazily be changed by taking of a moulding around the edge...hopefuly your wife dosn't like black.

Robert McClure
11-Apr-2006, 07:05
Bruce,

Just measured the three slides I have which came from some old Kodak 8x10 holders. Dimensions are: 8 and 5/16 wide; curved at bottom and about 11 and 3/8 long at outer edges (measuring to the stopping point on the metal piece across the top); about 11 and 3/16 measuring from middle (of curved bottom) to the same stopping point.

If of any use, contact me offline at robertm at ctrc dot com.

I had bought a dozen old holders years ago which now gather dust.

GPS
12-Apr-2006, 06:46
Several plastic covers available in papershops can be used but unless they are hard they touch the film when pressed on.