PDA

View Full Version : cable release for Sinar auto aperture shutter

Craig Wactor
8-Apr-2006, 22:47
Can anyone tell me how long the plunger is on the cable release for a sinar auto aperture shutter? I need one, but keep getting outbid on ebay, and the replacement sells for $300. I know it is longer than a standard cable release.

Ralph Barker
8-Apr-2006, 23:18
I don't have a Sinar, but I have a similar problem with an old Alphax shutter. The 12mm throw of my conventional cable releases isn't sufficient. The Gepe Pro cable's throw, according to Jim at MPEX, is 21mm, which will solve my problem. Whether that would solve your problem, too, is the remaining question.

medform-norm
9-Apr-2006, 03:48
IIRC the Sinar needs a throw of 36mm. We don't have a release either, but use a long thin screwdriver instead. Works too, but a proper cable release would be better in terms of stability. I've seen them on eBay for $100 as well, so if you're patient, you might get one in the end.

Rob_6274
9-Apr-2006, 09:16
I made one myself. I went to a camera junk store, and found an old cable release with ~31 mm long throw but the tip had non-standard thread. I cut the screw and replaced it with the one from nikon brand cable release. I measured where I cut both screw so that I have 5 mm of the throw out without pressing the plunger. This will give you a full throw of 36 mm. The two screws were joint together with solder and butane burner. It works like charm. In fact, ~34.5 mm of throw was used to cock and move the aperture pin, and the last 1-1.5mm of throw was used to fire the shutter.

Rob_6274
9-Apr-2006, 10:00
Here is the picture of the one I build.

http://www.geocities.com/cephalotusf/homebrewsinarcablerelease.jpg

To satisfy the liability aficionado, I have to say:
ATTENTION/ACHTUNG
You must not build it, It will damage your sinar shutter.

Craig Wactor
10-Apr-2006, 14:29
Great idea, Rob! I am going to head down to the camera store to look for a cable release project myself now.

Bob Salomon
25-Jul-2008, 07:26
If it helps anyone we still have several of the Prontor Professional cable releases left in stock. These had a throw of 26.9mm but are non-locking. They are 18" long.

robert amsden
25-Jul-2008, 10:45
Can anyone tell me how long the plunger is on the cable release for a sinar auto aperture shutter? I need one, but keep getting outbid on ebay, and the replacement sells for $300. I know it is longer than a standard cable release.

You need learn how to snipe.