PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Richard Årlin
8-Apr-2006, 02:54
There's a 210 mm f:/9 Zeiss Goertz-Dagor at Ebay just now immediately jumping to $ 1000 +
How's that... Makes me look at my own mint 240 mm f:/6,8 Zeiss Goertz-Dagor that I was given for free a few years back. Mine even has a higher serial number 10252xxx as opposed to 915417. It could not possibly be it's true value is it, even if it is a lovley lens to use

Hugo_6476
8-Apr-2006, 05:54
Zeiss Goerz Dagor F6.8 does not have much coverage as the f/9 one which gives you much more movement when using 8x10. I am not even sure if your 210mm f6.8 one covers 8x10. I use a 180mm f9 Zeiss Dagor and am very pleased with it. Very very pleased. My favorite back pack 8x10 wide angle lens.

Patrik Roseen
8-Apr-2006, 06:01
Richard, I propose you look at the completed listings of Zeiss Goertz-Dagor on Ebay lately. It's always interesting to look at who and how many was bidding on these items as the price went up...a handful people obviously treshure this lens and are prepared to pay the price...either collectors or photographers.
Do you have any experience from using this lens yourself?

Sven Schroder
8-Apr-2006, 06:49
Hi Richard

I have the 125mm f9 Zeiss-Goerz dagor and as mentioned early the difference is in the coverage as well as the design, which US Goerz issued as W.A dagor at F8. Zeiss continued making both regular and wide Dagor's after swallowing Goerz the wide dagors continued longer. Any Way on performance, at 100 degree coverage and very well corrected, I amVERY happy with my 125mm ( common in england as it was sold for whole plate ) covers 10x8 safely for interiors maybe infinty straight on (I really should check). So scaled up to 210mm a superb lens for 7x17 etc, As for the price its seems fair considering a good 210mm with 100 degrees of coverage is hard to find. The import tax to the UK would be more than I made for my little 125mm example of this fine lens but that was bargin.

Regards from Sunny Morecambe

Sven

Richard Årlin
8-Apr-2006, 06:52
It's a 240 mm I have and coverage on 8x10 is no problem. My query was rather the supposed value and or qualities of the Zeiss Jena versions od the Goertz-Dagor as opposed to other brands. You often enough see Dagor lenses on ebay but very seldom made by Zeiss... and not at the price. I was just curious to see the absurd sum people seem willing to pay for it. Maybe there's someone out there who has a kink for Zeiss... have one for Cooke wide-angle anastigmats VIIb myself, the 158mm together with the 240 Dagor and hopefully another longer lens eventually..

tim atherton
8-Apr-2006, 08:06
The f9 Carl Zeiss Dagors have always been expensive in recent years. An 180mm f9 could easily cost about $1600.00 +- even four or five years ago.

A colleague bought one for quite a tidy sum a few years ago - it's one of his favourite lenses and images with it have graced a number of his books

Richard Årlin
8-Apr-2006, 08:24
glad to have got my shuttered 158 Cooke for much less than half then and a shuttered 108 for very much less indeed but that's for 4x5 and 5x7

Kerik Kouklis
8-Apr-2006, 10:56
The f/6.8 and f/9 Dagors are differnet animals. I have a 240 f/9 in a shutter that I bought several years ago for $500. This amazing little lens just covers my 14x17 and I use it frequently. I presume I could get 3xor 4x what I paid for it, but there's no way I'd sell it. OTOH, I wouldn't spend $200 on the f/6.8 version since I have no use for it and they are quite common in the used market. It's not Zeiss mystique, it's supply, demand and performance that drives the prices up.

Richard Årlin
8-Apr-2006, 11:20
lol... good I'm a 4x5 thru 8X10 guy then

William Mortensen
8-Apr-2006, 12:31
"I am not even sure if your 210mm f6.8 one covers 8x10."

Just a quick note- the 210mm f/6.8 Dagor (I have a couple) does cover 8x10, but with only a little left for movements. The older one gets a little soft at the very corners, but the newer gold-rim is sharp all the way across. Lovely little 8x10 lenses if you don't need extra coverage.

Patrik Roseen
8-Apr-2006, 13:14
"It's not Zeiss mystique, it's supply, demand and performance that drives the prices up."

As I stated before and this is probably related to Richard's question, why the high prices for these lenses? It's a handfull 'ebayers who are looking out for the Zeiss brand and who compete to the teeth to get these lenses. Many of them located in China3, US 2, Japan 1.

As for market value in general...these lenses also go much cheaper occasionally...that's how these ebayers make their living.

Richard, if you ever want to sell this lens...make sure you get these ebayers interested (at the same time). But I sense you are more interested in the photography as the rest of us.

Hugo_6476
8-Apr-2006, 15:02
Hi Kerik,

I took one of your Platinum workshops back a few years ago and it is very nice to your name again. Fond memories. You pushed me to but my first 8x10 right at that shop, a nice Wista with a 14" Dagor brass barrel lens for $700. Never touched my 4x5 again and still don't have the balls to go for 14x17 yet. But I do have a few books by Kenro Izu. I have much admiration for your vision and your beautiful prints.

I sold one of my 180mm Zeiss Dagor f9 on eBay a few weeks ago and used the proceeds to buy some old heliar lenses, the one left will go to my grave with me. Does that make me less interested in the photography?

Hugo_6476
8-Apr-2006, 15:04
Hi Kerik,

I took one of your Platinum workshops back a few years ago and it is very nice to see your name again. Fond memories. You pushed me to buy my first 8x10 right at that shop, a nice Wista with a 14" Dagor brass barrel lens for $700. Never touched my 4x5 again and still don't have the balls to go for 14x17 yet. But I do have a few books by Kenro Izu. I have much admiration for your vision and your beautiful prints.

I sold one of my 180mm Zeiss Dagor f9 on eBay a few weeks ago and used the proceeds to buy some old heliar lenses, the one left will go to my grave with me. Does that make me less interested in the photography?

Richard Årlin
9-Apr-2006, 06:17
What about the different brands of this lens or indeed lenses like the Red Dot Artar. Should you just try to get the focal lenght and F:stop you need at a decent price disregarding who made it or should you try to find a specific brand for its better perfomance ?

John Kasaian
9-Apr-2006, 09:08
FWIW I find that my performance as a photographer nearly always comes up shorter than the performance of my lenses. If the name on the lens is worth greater consideration than the subject, something ain't right :-)

Richard Årlin
9-Apr-2006, 09:12
Very wise indeed but I guess you still you pick a lens for it lest you are content using a pinhole...

Kerik Kouklis
10-Apr-2006, 14:40
Hugo,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you're still at it! How are you liking the Heliars?

Hugo_6476
10-Apr-2006, 16:24
Got three Heliars and they are on their way to me. 30cm, 36cm and 42cm. Need to put a Parkard shutter on my 2D Kodak for those beasts. I will ask Jim for some advice on how todo it. Look at the price of platinum now! You neeed to raise the price of your prints.