PDA

View Full Version : Dry Plate Availability

Alan9940
5-Sep-2022, 17:35
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread (the Wet Plate board didn't seem right) so, moderators please move if necessary.

Per communication with Jason Lane, yesterday, and per the notice on the home page of his website, he doesn't plan on producing dry plates until early 2023. I've checked with all the third-party suppliers of Jason's plates and other than one box of 8x10 at Blue Moon Camera everybody is sold out.

In the past, I've used Zebra Dry Plates (and like them) but the shipping cost to the US is a jaw dropping amount for several boxes. What are you other dry plate shooters doing when you need plates? Are you coating your own?

Thanks!

Two23
6-Sep-2022, 20:50
You might have to give wet plate a try until Jason is back shipping.

Kent in SD

Tin Can
7-Sep-2022, 04:13
Smaller sizes 1 box at a time are affordable

I do plan to coat my own

several ways

to test

jnantz
7-Sep-2022, 05:54
I’ve been coating ( and making my own emulsion ) off and on since around 1986. If a goofy kid with no formal or informal training can do it, a serious persOn with places like the light farm, Denise Ross’ book and other internet resources &c. can do it ez-pz. :).

Don’t forget to have fun :)

Michael R
7-Sep-2022, 06:49
One of the tinkerers around here should make a small curtain coater.

Alan9940
7-Sep-2022, 06:53
Thanks, all, for the replies. I've read the online stuff at The Light Farm and plan to try coating my own. Even if I don't have any success, it will be way more fun than simply buying them.

jnantz
7-Sep-2022, 07:54
from what I read if you want to bypass the glass man
get good at cutting glass and buy dollar store picture frames
at a 25¢/4x5 it's almost worth doing it just for that ..
im no good at cutting glass so I give my glass company the $..

Alan9940
7-Sep-2022, 08:21
im no good at cutting glass so I give my glass company the $..

Neither am I! I, too, will give my $ to the local glass company.

paulbarden
7-Sep-2022, 11:40
I’ve been coating my own dry plates using the Foma Liquid Emulsion. It takes some learning to get a good coat of emulsion, but it’s quite feasible.

Nejc/Lost Light has a good (basic) how to tutorial on YT: https://youtu.be/jyiOe6vQyaM

Alan9940
7-Sep-2022, 20:47
I’ve been coating my own dry plates using the Foma Liquid Emulsion. It takes some learning to get a good coat of emulsion, but it’s quite feasible.

Nejc/Lost Light has a good (basic) how to tutorial on YT: https://youtu.be/jyiOe6vQyaM

Thank you. I've watched Nejc videos and he explains things in simple terms that even I can understand. I plan to start simple and see where the experience leads me.

Nodda Duma
8-Sep-2022, 03:59
Alan, I wasn’t sure if you had received my reply to your email but looks like you did. I’m guessing you could detect my frustration with myself at not being able to produce dry plates as soon after moving as I wanted. However, that frustration is tempered by all the activity I see in the community with people making their own…. Just like I did several years ago and just like John describes of himself. This is because my goal isn’t to produce dry plates (tbh I’ve actually had time to do things like read books during this enforced downtime… halfway through the Aubrey and Maturin series), but rather to support growing interest in dry plate photography. So I’m glad to see you decide to make your own. Quite a few folks are doing that.

Cheers,
Jason

Tin Can
8-Sep-2022, 04:27
Yes some of us are trying DIY

However we want to encourage you to resume

Alan9940
8-Sep-2022, 04:42
Alan, I wasn’t sure if you had received my reply to your email but looks like you did. I’m guessing you could detect my frustration with myself at not being able to produce dry plates as soon after moving as I wanted. However, that frustration is tempered by all the activity I see in the community with people making their own…. Just like I did several years ago and just like John describes of himself. This is because my goal isn’t to produce dry plates (tbh I’ve actually had time to do things like read books during this enforced downtime… halfway through the Aubrey and Maturin series), but rather to support growing interest in dry plate photography. So I’m glad to see you decide to make your own. Quite a few folks are doing that.

Cheers,
Jason

Yes, I did receive your reply...thank you.

Looks like Necj is the only supplier left in the world for pre-made dry plates. I still have a box of his plates and would gladly order more, but the cost of DHL Express shipping to the US is just staggering. So, until you start making plates, again (hint...hint...what Tin Can said), I'm going to make my own. I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve there but will also be fun!

Enjoy your downtime! Can't go wrong with books.

Willie
8-Sep-2022, 04:59
On glass for the plates. Check with Picture Framing Supply houses. Pre-cut sizes in bulk are often lower priced than a regular glass company.

jnantz
8-Sep-2022, 10:34
fun thing about making dry plates / using liquid emulsion is you don't need to stick the plates in your camera ( its basically glass photo paper ), and ... the glass doesn't have to be flat. I wish I could remember her name but I bumped into a photographer years ago who was making these 8x10 printed on ( I think they were either 8x10 contact prints or 4x5s enlarged onto 8x10 ) glass. photography is a pretty versatile medium.