PDA

View Full Version : What's With the Rodinal? Can't Find Any

HT Finley
27-Aug-2022, 19:27
What's with the Rodinal? Everybody saying out of stock. Did it all dry up?

Tin Can
27-Aug-2022, 23:44
Freestyle Photo

What's with the Rodinal? Everybody saying out of stock. Did it all dry up?

koraks
28-Aug-2022, 00:23
Freestyle Photo

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/12054-Adox-Rodinal-Film-Developer-500-ml
Lookie here:

Out of Stock
Approx. delivery date from vendor: Sep 9, 2022
See the issue now?

@HT Finley, have you included (more or less) equivalent developers in your search? Think 'Rodinol', 'Adonal', 'R09'. Same times as Rodinal. I'd say the same results as well, but given the diversity in human nature, I'm sure someone is bound to opine differently. Keeping qualities may be different; that's a little less far-fetched IMO. Stocking issues may be similar as well, but it gives you some more options. It's not clear from your post if you included these in your search.

Roger Cole
28-Aug-2022, 02:08
Rollei branded version in stock. How similar it is or if it’s identical I don’t know.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/9725-Rollei-Compard-R09-One-Shot-Agfa-Rodinal-Formula-Film-Developer-500-ml

Tin Can
28-Aug-2022, 02:40
I will be ordering today, as I love the stuff

I prefer liquid developer, but ready with plenty of powder to switch to D23

I read both directions today, one says up to 1/500 with min of 5 ml per 8X10

SergeiR tested to that limit and found 7-10 ml per 8X10 was best, so I have been using that

I will test 1/500---5ml per 8x10 in my gas burst system soon

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/9725-Rollei-Compard-R09-One-Shot-Agfa-Rodinal-Formula-Film-Developer-500-ml

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52316265156_3efa92f589.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nH1wXE)Rodinol the left is very old, last I have (https://flic.kr/p/2nH1wXE) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

HT Finley
28-Aug-2022, 08:45
Lookie here:

See the issue now?

@HT Finley, have you included (more or less) equivalent developers in your search? Think 'Rodinol', 'Adonal', 'R09'. Same times as Rodinal. I'd say the same results as well, but given the diversity in human nature, I'm sure someone is bound to opine differently. Keeping qualities may be different; that's a little less far-fetched IMO. Stocking issues may be similar as well, but it gives you some more options. It's not clear from your post if you included these in your search.

Sept 9. That's not so far away. Except it never works out that way. First Sept 9 comes and goes, with no product.Theyn there is an "absolutely for sure date" of November maybe. Then November comes and "temporarily out of stock" appears. From that point, forget it.

Michael R
28-Aug-2022, 08:50
I think OP is referring to Adox/Fotoimpex Rodinal. If I remember correctly according to Adox it is the same as Adonal except for the name which had something to do with trademark issues. Both Adox Rodinal and Adox Adonal are claimed to be the formula used by Agfa for its last commercial version of the developer. Rodinal/Adonal are also claimed by Adox/Fotoimpex to be slightly different than R09/APH09. Whether or not there is any practical difference is another matter.

There seems to be some stock of Adonal in Europe but that will likely be pricey etc. Alternatively there is “Blazinal” available in Canada but I don’t know if that is Rodinal/Adonal, R09 or whatever.

Tin Can
28-Aug-2022, 11:44
We argued this out years ago with Mr banned Stone

I just now ordered 5 bottles of RODINOL

Product Name Product Qty. Price Ext. Price
Rollei Compard R09 One Shot Agfa Rodinal Formula Film Developer - 500 ml 5 $14.99 $74.95
Subtotal $74.95
Shipping $10.99
Total $85.94

If the other becomes available I will buy it too

Michael R
28-Aug-2022, 12:37
Good ole Stone. Them’s was the days.

We argued this out years ago with Mr banned Stone

I just now ordered 5 bottles of RODINOL

Product Name Product Qty. Price Ext. Price
Rollei Compard R09 One Shot Agfa Rodinal Formula Film Developer - 500 ml 5 $14.99 $74.95
Subtotal $74.95
Shipping $10.99
Total $85.94

If the other becomes available I will buy it too

HT Finley
28-Aug-2022, 12:54
Are you talking about StoneNYC?

Tin Can
28-Aug-2022, 12:56
To keep B&H happy also ordered just now

1, 5 liter Ilford PQ, I use a lot of PQ

4, empty amber glass gallons

and PF TF5

Best prices with free CONUS shipping

I don't like to 'test' chems, I use the same stuff for years

PQ WAS once upon a time called the 'Universal' Developer

It still is

HT Finley
28-Aug-2022, 13:07
I do not know about PQ. I have been making my Fuji HRT tests on Rodinal 1:100 and have found a decent procedure. I don't want to go through all that again by changing developer. Granted I have a jar of metol and some sulfite. I can make D-23 all day long. But Rodinal lasts so long and my shooting is so infrequent I don't want to have to mix up a fresh batch of D-23 all the time. Last time I did testing with D-23 I ended up having to go with Willi Beutler's to get my contrast right. I got this Rodinal down and want to stick wit it.

Pieter
28-Aug-2022, 13:14
Such doomsday talk. So Rodinal is about of stock right now. It has been in the past, and supplies do show up. Be patient, it will most probably be back in stock soon.

Tin Can
28-Aug-2022, 13:19
I don't use PQ on X-Ray unless I process 14X36" X-Ray sheets by hand seesaw

Very fast process under safe light

I do not know about PQ. I have been making my Fuji HRT tests on Rodinal 1:100 and have found a decent procedure. I don't want to go through all that again by changing developer. Granted I have a jar of metol and some sulfite. I can make D-23 all day long. But Rodinal lasts so long and my shooting is so infrequent I don't want to have to mix up a fresh batch of D-23 all the time. Last time I did testing with D-23 I ended up having to go with Willi Beutler's to get my contrast right. I got this Rodinal down and want to stick wit it.

Jody_S
28-Aug-2022, 15:34
I bought 5 bottles of a no-name copy off a dealer 2 years ago. Don't expect to run out any time soon.

jp
28-Aug-2022, 17:16
2 years ago. Don't expect to run out any time soon.

Right!
I don't use it and I thought everyone that did had a lifetime supply of it because it never goes bad.

Roger Cole
28-Aug-2022, 19:27
I’ve tried it and was never able to get results I liked. I probably have some since I gave up on it and knowing it’s so long lasting I probably never disposed of it. I’ll check.

I know - or also assumed anyway - the OP wanted the Adox version but since that doesn’t seem to be on offer anywhere at the moment I’d bet dollars-to-doughnuts the Rollei version, if not functionally identical, will still be much closer to the Adox version than anything else will be. A close substitute, IOW, at worst, if not, at best, an exact replacement.

I remember that guy but not his being banned. I’ve been away a while. I may have to check old posts.

HT Finley
28-Aug-2022, 21:19
Here's what I don't get. So, the story is Agfa went out of business. Then Adox acquired the rights to the formula. That implies exclusivity. So why would Rollei or anybody else be producing the EXACT formula, any more that a million other cola companies sell Coca Cola exactly? Is the Coke formula not in a vault? I won't even bring up the common knowledg that Rodinal itself isn't even Rodinal, since what....2004, or 2014, or whenever? Specifically the original Agfa Rodinal was a grainy as heck terrible developer. I always hated it. But on this 8x10 X-ray film, it works perfect. And the word was that original Rodinal would last till the Sun supernovas. All these other brands, lord knows what they really are.

Roger Cole
28-Aug-2022, 23:47
The patent long since expired. My understanding is that anyone can make it and sell it, as long as they don’t call it “Rodinal.”

Companies like Coke keep the formula in a vault because they’d have to reveal it to patent it, and patents expire. If they can keep it secret they can own it exclusively forever. Of course a trademark like “Coca-Cola” or “Rodinal” is a different matter.

nitroplait
29-Aug-2022, 01:03
... Of course a trademark like “Coca-Cola” or “Rodinal” is a different matter.

Fotoimpex.com writes on their Adox Rodinal page:
Due to trademark conflicts Rodinal can currently not be sold to F R A N C E.
Please choose ADONAL instead. If you order Rodinal to France we will autmatically ship you ADONAL instead.

Although I don't live in France, I have experienced that Fotoimpex.com sometimes just send me Adonal when I order Rodinal. Not that I care - it is the same.

As of writing this, both Rodinal and Adonal in 500ml bottles are in stock.

I like Rodinal for Foma film. With HC110 they come out muddy and contrast-less. HC110 works better for me with Ilford film.

Kiwi7475
1-Oct-2022, 21:27
Adox Rodinal is now available at Freestyle.

Good timing as I was running low. I put my order through!

Tin Can
2-Oct-2022, 04:16
Ditto

I will be comparing this and that

Adox Rodinal is now available at Freestyle.

Good timing as I was running low. I put my order through!

Michael R
2-Oct-2022, 07:56
Ditto

I will be comparing this and that

It’s identical to Adox Adonal, said to be different and “finer grained” than R09. The differences are probably not photographically significant (especially in large format). Enjoy!

paulbarden
2-Oct-2022, 10:21
I gave up on Rodinal and its variants three years ago, in favor of the Pyro developers: Pyrocat HD and PMK. Both are superior for rendering super sharp negatives, and for preserving highlight detail separation (something Rodinal doesn't do). You can use Pyrocat HD as a semi-stand developer as well, if you're looking for the compensation effect

Bernice Loui
2-Oct-2022, 11:19
Film developer depends on image needs, no differnt than lenses and similar..
There is no single "superior" B&W film that ideally fits every need and any given film/developer/print making is done as a system, not just developer alone.

Bernice

Tin Can
2-Oct-2022, 12:39
Paul, I assume is calling me out with his 'LOVES' emphasis.

No worries, I am Sin Eater.

I have my personal reasons for loving Rodinol, as it supports my emulation of 1895.

I have tried Pyro, even have it on hand.

Some here insist their way or the...

Caffenol??

I gave up on Rodinal and its variants three years ago, in favor of the Pyro developers: Pyrocat HD and PMK. Both are superior for rendering super sharp negatives, and for preserving highlight detail separation (something Rodinal doesn't do). You can use Pyrocat HD as a semi-stand developer as well, if you're looking for the compensation effect. I've grown to dislike Rodinal immensely because it is brutal in how it handles highlight separation, and often sends high values soaring to near-unprintable densities. Pyro developers harden the emulsion as it develops, which has the effect of preventing sharp edges from "bleeding" (silver migration due to high sulfite concentrations), giving a sharp negative with excellent edge effects. Also, because a significant portion of the image density is from pyro stain, it masks the grain, most evident in the higher values. Rodinal, on the other hand, achieves its sharpness and strong edge effects by rendering sharp grain which is coarse and very obvious in the print.
Pyrocat HD is superior in every way, and lasts for years as a concentrate, costing something like twenty cents per roll to develop film.
I realize that none of this is going to change the mind of anyone who loves Rodinal, but I can't help but wonder how many would be astonished to discover how much better their results can be using one of the Pyro developers, and ditch the Rodinal.

jnantz
2-Oct-2022, 12:58
Caffenol??

there you go, yes caffenol best developer EVER! ! and if you add a little bit of rodinal or dektol or ansco 130 or whatever you want in there and make it even better! ( hard to believe, and no you don't need to use a scale, just eyeball measure and / or use tablespoons )
if you want some beans let me know I have about 30 lbs in my garage and the developer seems to last a long long time. I've been affected by people who don't waste so I use my developer till it's coughing and saying "lights are growing dim" dead, and then mix some of it in with the next batch. I didn't realize when I bought the beans I was going to have to be buried with them.

Tin Can
2-Oct-2022, 13:20
John, I get fresh Italian Dark Roast beans every 2 months, those I grind and drink. AeroPress!

I have your recommended 'coffee' on hand!

but was it used in 1895?

there you go, yes caffenol best developer EVER! ! and if you add a little bit of rodinal or dektol or ansco 130 or whatever you want in there and make it even better! ( hard to believe, and no you don't need to use a scale, just eyeball measure and / or use tablespoons )
if you want some beans let me know I have about 30 lbs in my garage and the developer seems to last a long long time. I've been affected by people who don't waste so I use my developer till it's coughing and saying "lights are growing dim" dead, and then mix some of it in with the next batch. I didn't realize when I bought the beans I was going to have to be buried with them.

Michael R
2-Oct-2022, 14:33
Fear not. Rodinal separates highlights as well as pyro, catechol, D-76, D-23 etc. whatever else.

No worries, I am Sin Eater.

I have my personal reasons for loving Rodinol, as it supports my emulation of 1895.

I have tried Pyro, even have it on hand.

Caffenol??

paulbarden
2-Oct-2022, 16:21

No, not at all, Randy. In fact, I was unaware that you were one of the Rodinal enthusiasts. To each his own. *shrug*

jnantz
2-Oct-2022, 16:47
John, I get fresh Italian Dark Roast beans every 2 months, those I grind and drink. AeroPress!

I have your recommended 'coffee' on hand!

but was it used in 1895?

cinnamon roast robusta works best, mine is from Sumatra and I roast it to perfection every few months. not sure if it was used in 1895
it should have been but maybe big film put the kibosh on the whole thing so they could sell more ELON

Michael R
2-Oct-2022, 18:39
Yup that’s how it went down except it wasn’t called Elon yet.

cinnamon roast robusta works best, mine is from Sumatra and I roast it to perfection every few months. not sure if it was used in 1895
it should have been but maybe big film put the kibosh on the whole thing so they could sell more ELON

jnantz
2-Oct-2022, 19:06
Yup that’s how it went down except it wasn’t called Elon yet.

missed by ..... this much ME-tol

TC you can probably get the same pryoeffect with pine needles. YMMV

John Layton
3-Oct-2022, 05:13
Just made the often hilarious "mistake" of skipping from the first page of a thread to the last (remember when we were kids - that game called "telephone?")...but even so - Rodinal morphing to Italian Roast :confused:

Tin Can
3-Oct-2022, 05:19
jnantz always promotes coffee developer

He has almost convinced me!

I don't think he still makes Silver Magnets

I love his unique prints

Just made the often hilarious mistake of skipping from the first page of a thread to the last...but even so - Rodinal morphing to Italian Roast :confused:

jnantz
3-Oct-2022, 17:16
Are you talking about StoneNYC?

better be careful if you say that name 3x it's like when you say Betelgeuse 3x!

jnantz always promotes coffee developer

He has almost convinced me!

I don't think he still makes Silver Magnets

I love his unique prints

thanks TC !
I try :)
and you're right magnets aren't available anymore, the manufacturer retired. I still sell tricklers to reduce the footprint ...
life's too short to make boring photos!
onward and upward or whatever they say ...
j

lenshustle
30-Oct-2022, 18:04
A problem is that alot of the smaller stores do NOT want to send it through the mail for some reason.

They have no problem sending me a half gallon of Fixer concentrate, or paper developer, but wont do Rodinal via USPS or UPS or Fedex

Dugan
30-Oct-2022, 18:20
Try Freestyle, they got a shipment recently.

jnantz
30-Oct-2022, 18:27
Just made the often hilarious "mistake" of skipping from the first page of a thread to the last (remember when we were kids - that game called "telephone?")...but even so - Rodinal morphing to Italian Roast :confused:

Hi John

not sure if you've heard of "caffenol, caffenol C &c " but they are kitchen cupboard developers that take very little effort to make and work Ok. some say these coffee developers are pyro's 3rd cousin,
im not really sure if they are or aren't, I'm no developer geneologist and I've never used pyrotechnics ( worry about the Parkinsons connection myth ). I do know if you process film with it, the film sometimes has that strange pyro glow. the negatives might look like they are FUBAR to some but print really well whether you enlarge, scan or contact print. there's a free "bible" (called the caffenol cookbook ) it used to have its own website but the rent seems overdue ..., if you're interested you can find it on my website ( I was one of the submitters ) ... I won't say it's a panacea or low impact on the environment &c cause nothing is, but it works, and lasts a long time (at least the version I use does YMMV ), and you don't really need a scale if you don't want... if you are a follower of Stephen Schuabb and his Figiital Revolution, he was/ is a big fan of the beans as well.
don't forget to have fun.