PDA

View Full Version : those new epson scanners

paulr
5-Apr-2006, 09:01
there was some talk about these a month or so ago.

vincent oliver has completed a promising review of the lower end model (v700) on the photo-i site:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

the higher end model should be out in a month or so.

Ted Harris
5-Apr-2006, 11:15
We had expected to have one of these scanners in hand by now for review so that the results could be included in the next scanning article in "View Camera." Unfortunately, while they are now at some dealers, Epson has only a very very small number of review units available. Thus, the promised review unit has not yet arrived. As soon as it does I will post the 'real world' resolution and Dmax results and will do a scan for Leigh Perry's scanaround if I can coordinate getting the tranny for that back in hand while I have the review scanner.

All I can say is stay tuned. Things sound promising but the basic design of the ccd array is still that of several stacked arrays. My hopes are that the V750 will give the 1800f a run for its money but we will have to wait until June (AFAIK) to know. We will have at least the V700 available for use at the next scanning workshop, along with the 4990, 1800f and i800.

John Flavell
5-Apr-2006, 17:25
One of the upsides to Epson releasing the scanners in England before the U.S. is that Vincent gets one to to review and we benefit from his hard work. I look forward to Vincent posting the results of the pro evaluation. This is very helpful to me before I spend money on something that might not hit the high mark.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
6-Apr-2006, 00:32
Ted,
Thanks for the info. There is just one thing that sticks in my craw, they're in the store but no review units? Don't they have a production line? Won't a random sample work? Are the review units given special attention? Or am I just being cynical?

Ted Harris
6-Apr-2006, 07:17
John, a random sample would work fine; ;in fact, it might even be preferable. Unfortunately, I already have two scanners and can' t afford to buy one of each new model that comes out just to review it. If Epson was willing to drop ship one to me that I could then return to a store for them to use as a demo model that would be great but that just isn;t the way the world works.